Is a long jump pit a natural feature or temporary

rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in General Discussion

Had a long jump pit rejected as natural feature :-) Mah ha ha ha

But then also rejected as Seasonal temporary....

The first one I don't get. But the second I think because the pit is only used for organised sport six months of the year is was marked as temporary. Why only 6 months? Typcial shared sports ground. Cricket and athletics in summer, Football, Rugby,, AFL, league in winter.

If this is true - it does not make sense as the POI is permanent. It is also still used all year round. Just not as a long jump pit.

Yes it could be considered seasonal because only used in Summer. That too does not make sense. Because many Goal posts for various sports only exist for season as well. Many of the posts are taken away for the season. But the POI was the post. And many synthetic cricket pitches are only used in summer too but they pass muster as valid POIs.

To me. Seasonal is like Christmas trees, Easter Bunnies, Religious or cultural festival stuff.

I am waffling. Anyone have any ideas.... Just curious.

Comments

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally I wouldn’t call it either. Can we see the image and text?

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

I think here I more interested in the construct of the wording temporary and seasonal and how that applies to sports based activities. Particularly where many of the Sport POIs on a sports field are sports season based. And the feature used to place mark the POIS maybe removed for around 6 months of the year while the sports field is used for another sport.

Unless a 100% synthetic football / touch rugby / hockey playing field most Australian sports fields are seasonal. Which means the posts get removed etc.

To be fair. It was not my best photo or description. So am sucking that up. Just interested in seasonal / temporary meaning for sport based POI

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on
  • No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I would see it as: The long jump pit, so long as it has a proper run-up track and is properly bordered, is a manmade construct. It is the sand within the pit I would possibly deem as a natural feature. However, I cannot see a situation where anyone would nominate the sand as the wayspot and not the pit itself.

If the pit is just an elongated 'pit', without a proper delineated border, it becomes very 'iffy' for me. I'd have to see both photos and would make a determination then.

As for 'seasonal' sports I recognise it as Niantic's intent to allow goal posts and cricket pitches, to name two, as acceptable as wayspots. Yes the goals might only be up for six months of the year, and the cricket pitch uncovered for the opposite six months, but that's part of the local council's planning to make sure such pitches/ovals/fields are utilised to as close to the full extent as possible. Why have two separate fields for a sport that would only use the facility for its intended purpose for less than six months of the year when both sports can use the same field in harmony?

I've seen quite a few locations where the goals at one end are a wayspot while the cricket pitch (usually covered over during 'football season') is also such. And I see nothing wrong with that.

The pit is boarded and is a man made construct. The run up track only exists in summer. Maybe I will wait till then. The pit is clearly supported by google arial photos and website photos.

Well not sure I am going to go down the rabbit hole of the sand being natural. But the feature is not. ;-) And the other rejection reason was temporary/seasonal.

Thanks No1ofConseqence-PGO  appreciate the input. All good. Will wait for summer ;-)

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked because a lot of times a reaction such as that is a response to something in the image.

No1ofConseqence-PGO  re your seasonal comment. Just had a football pitch rejected as temporary / seasonal but two others else where accepted

;-) Shrugging shoulders

@X0bai-PGO My questions were based on the rejection criteria. Since then the pit is are now being used with white jump off line in place. And clear running marks on the grass. IE it looks used now. Versus the unused winter photo. Definitely related to a better photo I think. Once I resubmit we shall see

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't share the wayspot, so I'll make an educated guess.

If there is a wayspot for the sport that uses the area for half the year... I don't think the same place should have a second wayspot for the second sport that uses that area for the other half of the year. The existing wayspot should be edited to cover both things that happen at that place.

• No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

@MargariteDVille-ING That's not what happens in Australia, at least.

A wayfarer will nominate a set of goals - whether soccer, Aussie rules or rugby - in the winter; and another wayfarer (usually) will nominate the baseball 'diamond', hockey goals or cricket pitch during the summer months. The local councils who look after the fields/parks are pretty good at ensuring the permanent infrastructure of one does not interfere with the other (except, maybe, in case of hockey vs rugby where the two sets of goals will be pretty close to one another if not removed).

Here's an example from somewhere not far from where I've been happily seeding wayspots over the past few months - and this area is my next target area.

You can see the two hockey fields facing one another in the SW and NE corners. In winter this ground hosts an Australian Rules Football oval that runs with the goals in the NW and SE corners. As a matter of fact you can see in the image some of the ongoing summer repairs to the ground directly in front of where the SE goals would sit (Yes, Aussie Rules ovals are that big.)

At present a wayspot exists in the top right of the image anchored to one of those brown rectangles (dugouts?). And another exists in the bottom right anchored behind where the footy goals would be, anchored to the 'place name' sign. I intend to go down to the area of the bottom left of the image as there's plenty there I know of I could use as a wayspot anchor. And I very much doubt it will not get through the review process in short order.

With the sort of temperate climate we have here, it would be considered idiocy by the residents not to use such grounds in 'double-duty' this way. And it's only the rare location, such as fixed netball and tennis courts and the occasional purpose built 'private' stadiums, that don't see such 'double-duty'. The residents would - rightly, in my opinion - get upset they're paying for the maintenance of a field that only gets single use for only half of the year; pretty much laying fallow for the other half. They'd see it as a waste of their paid land rates.

So, yes, wayspots 'double-dip' for each sport at a park such as the one above. However, we only have half as many such parks compared to places where the ground is only used for one sport for only half of the year.

@MargariteDVille-ING the atheltic features are well over a hundred metres apart with a copse (small set of trees) between them. Two different sport types. One run and jump. The other twist and throw. The throw circles used all year for practice but for comp only 6 months. The jump pit only for 6 months. And to compound this they are in a shared natural park. By natural I mean not a synthetic athletic stadium. The permanent man made features are minimal. The running track is on grass that goes around the cricket field in the middle which was was a rugby field 6 weeks ago. This natural state also makes it hard for reviewers. I think it is that that causes people to say natural.

These are two different sports. Not near each other. That should be OK. As for competing wayspot. There is a synthetic cricket pitch a 200m way and a rugby pitch (the end posts are the POI) in the opposite direction. All different sports.

The synthetic cricket pitch was accepted. The football posts accepted. The long jump pit and throwing circles not. My question was how are they judged as temporary when the synthetic old cricket pitch and the football posts were accepted. Both sets of sports are temporary sports if seasonal based

No1ofConseqence-PGO  I agree. Provided they are different sports it should be OK. But I remember when I first came into this game I was confused how to accept the same field for multiple sports. In my mind it was the same place ;-)

That aside the big challenge I have seen in nomination is people trying to get both ends of a playing field as nominations. IE using the opposite hoops or posts. But yeah a baseball diamond is not a hockey pitch! :-)

MargariDVille you raise a good point re how many POIs can be nominated. I have seen a set of 20 tennis courts where each court was nominated and the same with around 20 netball courts. in both cases the pitches and courts were in a rows in sequential order. . All surrounded by one big fence. I was stumped as to accept or not.

So my decision is now based on distance apart and differing sports.