Nominations IN QUEUE More than 6 Months - Examples

MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please reply with your specific example/s of something IN QUEUE (not in voting) for six months or longer.

The process of moving nominations FROM In Queue -> TO In Voting, is broken. Many nominations are left perpetually In Queue. Niantic has said they "fixed" it, but their tweaking has not fixed it. Then we complain about it, but we're vague. Maybe they don't understand yet.

Let's give Niantic/Lightship a big global set of specific real examples that PROVE this is really an issue.

As they do tweaks and think they've "fixed" the process, this discussion can be a test set. They can check our nominations, to see if they move into voting.

Mine is "Labyrinth at the Episcopal Cathedral of St Philip" in Atlanta GA, nominated Oct 2, 2021. Picture: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hvHUGUfC_z1U-mYE7SzsgeydB6Dws2aNZXtU4yEsp4vPQLpe8P4mGS8IIUpaBbCvc11L3-EUPNl7il8EYze1nWKjOkrsMpeqqy3x563C=s0

NOTE: This is not the place to critique nominations (they're not even In Voting yet). And, not a place to suggest we do enough reviews to upgrade 100% of our nominations.

This discussion is to demonstrate to Niantic/Lightship that MANY nominations are IN QUEUE over six months. After we have a good collection, we can tag Niantic.

Some fellow "In Queue" people: @CowsCrazy14-PGO @CarolFig1607-PGO @ThePipsis-PGO @LSwitchblade-PGO

Thank you!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

Some that I’ve got looking at it. I won’t go into super specifics as some might reject them or know they’re mine due to title length anyways

• A trailmarker with a bee on (30th October 2021)
    • Green parrot sign (6th November 2021)
    • Red parrot sign (11th November 2021)
    • Hahn’s parrot sign (14th November 2021)
    • Black parrot sign (19th November 2021)
    • Red/Blue parrot sign (19th November 2021)
    • Pink parrot sign (19th November 2021)
    • Parrot walking sign (9th December 2021)
    • Noticeboard and map (11th December 2021)
    • World War I Memorial (8th January 2022)
    • Historical train station information sign (26th January 2022 (just on that six months))

So a few for sure. If we cut it to 3 months I would be able to add another 14.

• Kawhinot-INGKawhinot-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

My oldest still in queue is from November of 2020. I have a number of additional nominations over a year old that are also still in queue.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an open mind that there might be more than one issue, or even a single issue could be causing many problems.

I say this as the cell in which my year old still in queue submissions are, also has tons which have been in voting for 6 months to a year too without getting a acceptence or rejection.

If these are not being voted on and completed, it could potentially stop new ones entering in to voting depending on what weird system Niantic are using.

There is definitely something broke if a new submission goes in to voting after a week or so and these ones are still stuck in the queue and voting for so long

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

In queue longer than 6 months:

Older than 6 months that seem to have got stuck in voting:

They all fall in the NR02-juliete-11 cell.

Anything below the yellow lines goes through within days to a few weeks, even if just below.

Something 50 metres next to it that happens to be over the line the line in to the the cell above, it takes a year to go in to voting if im lucky and rarely comes out of voting.

I did submit something near London Bridge recently which went in to voting in less than 2 weeks & is still in voting. So that may be a sign that new submissions in that cell work better and old ones are stuck.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

Thankfully my local area has sped up considerably, and after a short time of upgrading (mostly intentionally) all my oldest stuff I have just a few remaining that are this old. The others are from a trip I took last year.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

@RandomExploit-ING

I agree there are several factors at play here.

When things were quicker if I nominated poi around my place of work only 7-8 miles away They would go through in a quarter of the time as it was across a level 9 boundary.

Even now if I travel across another boundary 15 miles away there is no need to up grade.

I’m about to find out if there is also evidence of blocking. one of my in voting from 17th May 2020 has been marked as in voting by Niantic. I am hoping that will allow one of my oldest in queue ( posted above) to move to in voting as it is in a neighbouring L17 cell same level 14. We shall see.

• Losifer026-INGLosifer026-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

So far I have about 260 nominations in queue/voting, but here are the ones that are 1-2 years old. Some new nominations fly through, but if they don’t make it within about 3 weeks they go into the massive area backlog everyone has out here in West Texas and just languish in nomination purgatory.

Hopefully @NianticGiffard

• mortuus-INGmortuus-ING Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

lack of agents that review within that area, only explanation i can think of.....

That is one of several issues. There are maybe 10 of us reviewing for an area that’s about 200 miles in any direction. Other issues are that tons of nominations are stuck, but someone else may nominate the same thing and it will go through, then the stuck nominations go into voting, but they stay stuck and what should be an easy duplicate decision never comes, and it’s too late to withdraw them because they’re in voting. Our success has also likely gotten the area slowed down and we don’t have near enough reviewers to overcome that. We’ve tried recruiting new reviewers without much luck. Then, when we have posted in bonus area exchanges we suddenly get tons of improper rejections, most of which were overturned on appeal; but we likely won’t have another period of 1 appeal a day coming back. My best guess on that was that those exchanges are targeted by bad actors who see deep backlogs as an opportunity to get a whole lot of upgrades by assigning all their accounts to areas that have deep backlogs and rejecting everything they see; which would also slow down every nomination there that they didn’t have enough matches on. Or maybe there’s a conflict in the coding that prevents nominations from continuing to stay in circulation. It could be a lot of things, but what we know for sure is that whatever's going on it’s a problem that needs to be looked at; and we hope @NianticGiffard can help us out. We shouldn’t have tons of things that have been in voting for a year+, and then other things that fly through in a week or 3. That tells me something very weird is going on. I know they can’t tell us what they’re doing or what the problem actually is, but jiggling the handles on a few things and maybe giving a machine or two in the POI factory a kick in just the right spot would do the trick. Whatever it is I’d be happy to report it worked if it does.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,606 Ambassador
    edited August 2022

I'm in the same general area as OP. Here are most of mine.

The pink dots represent submissions that are super close to each other and may be causing collisions with each other.

Paws Playground has a nearby submission still In Voting that was submitted on the same day. It's a playground in an apartment complex so it should have been an easy 5 star acceptance. I have to believe that these 2 are lost in WF at this point.

Those are both fairly close to the River Landing Floating Dock - I can't remember if they're the same L14 or adjacent.

The 3D Mural (not a slam dunk, I know) has a submission In Voting from the same day in the same L14. That one may be a split decision because I didn't submit a 360 photosphere to prove the location until it had been stuck for a little while.

The 3 with pink dots that are still In Queue and very close to each other may have things submitted by other players also near them. I have a submission In Voting from the same day that has not resolved yet very close to these.

Our area has been notoriously slow for a long time. However, we have started to see a faster turn-around time for 5 star natural submissions that were submitted in April 2022. Anything submitted before that time is still taking a long time to resolve, but things submitted in April '22 have finished voting in 3 - 4 months.

Since changes OBVIOUSLY only apply to things submitted AFTER the change, I suspect there are a LOT of submissions out there that are completely lost in the muck. At this point, it would probably be in my best interest to resubmit all of these. But that shouldn't be the answer.

I'd also like to point out that the ones @tehstone-ING posted from his trip last year are in the same metro area where OP and I submit. Basically, Metro Atlanta is BUSTED.

@Losifer026-ING I have some thoughts on how y'all can coordinate better so you don't overlap. I'll DM you.

• yanghao1-INGyanghao1-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭

Is there a way I could review some of these waypoints in queue? They are not in my home, selected, or current location but from map location and supporting info I'd like to try to review them. I've been reviewing since OPR days and would like to help. Maybe Niantic can make the review area larger. They have done it in the past. Niantic seems to have opened up a whole country to be reviewed by people in that country (China comes to mind.. For example, people living in the VERY north of China are reviewing Hong Kong waypoints).

Well, the main group that does most of the nominating is pretty well coordinated. It’s mostly the Ingress agents, and there’s not many of us. We do work with some of the huge Pokémon community as well, and the folks we work with are very helpful, but for the most part most of them don’t seem all that interested in reviewing or nominating. Then there are some random Pokémon trainers(maybe 3 or 4) that create the overlap and a whole lot of coal(we know it’s not the agents because we all know each other and we would have helped them lol). We’ve been trying to figure out who they are so we can help them and bring them into group; but not a lot of luck there either. Here and there we’ll find one that’s quit and is bitter about their bad experiences with nominations and wayfarer; and at that point they’re usually not willing to give them another chance. There’s about a dozen agents, and the trainers outnumber them about 50-1, and so our odds of tracking them down aren’t really good unfortunately.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 months? How about 2 years instead?

Even if there are enough reviewers, Wayfarer review algorithm is horrible already that it will keep de-prioritizing cells with too many Wayspots even if the nominations were submitted in rural/remote area.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to add, that I also have 2 years old in-voting nominations.

Unfortunately, unlike the in-queue ones, these cannot be upgraded, so unless Niantic will do something then they'll probably stuck in the queue for eternity.

• mortuus-INGmortuus-ING Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

still no movement for me, everything is frozen nothing happens... what is going on ? can niantic check this doesnt sound normal ? upgrades stuck in voting six months or longer is a problem somewhere... if its lack of reviewers within area why are the submissions not sent out to wider voting areas? if not enough voters there will be a system that is broken forever....... 😐️

seems if u live in a somewhat big city with thousands of poi already the system places those submissions at least priority.... it shouldnt take years for voting for legit submissions just because u live in a big city...

no motivation really vote to get a new upgrade if this is how wayfarer works.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I count 150 nominations that have waited over 6 months, in this thread alone. So far.

@NianticTintino Could someone please look into this bug? It hurts morale and incentive. Above are 150 test cases, to test the code fix.

If the queueing can't be fixed, could a new process be added, to automatically upgrade outstanding nominations on their first birthday?

Or, if it's on purpose, could you explain why some nominations should wait 6 months to 3 years and more to resolve?

Maybe the nomination function could just be disabled in places where Niantic doesn't want new wayspots?

• DocAngst-PGODocAngst-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

They seem to be up to at least the beginning of June 2020, based on recent evidence from some of my local friends' submissions. Not sure if this is done in batches or by committee, as the mid-late June 2020 stuff still seems to be languishing a couple of weeks later. The gap appears to be around (not exactly) 800 days.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

My 7th of June one is in Niantic voting I then have a gap to around 3rd week in June.

it has been steady predictable flow.

i would like to know a little more about the review process.

i think you are right in that there is a set date where the computer reaches into the system and takes all those with that date to Niantic voting. Some seem to fly through - no time to catch them with the in Nia vote symbol.

• ThePipsis-PGOThePipsis-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

mine: Path to Vahteristo

Riihimäki

In Queue

2022-01-09

others are in voting (since 2020-12-17 and 2022-07-25)

so far none of the one I have nominated/contributed have been published

• reznowww-INGreznowww-ING Posts: 21 ✭✭
  • PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

I’ve got these two, which are now a year old and haven’t left the queue.

Then this one which went into Voting almost immediately and then has stayed that way.