Yet Another Bench

Yes, it's another bench. This was recently rejected for poor photo quality. Below are the photos I submitted for the stop itself, followed by the support/context photo.

The description for the stop was:

"Bench dedicated to Greenville Parks and Recreation Director, overlooking Lake Barbour"

I nominated this because:

1. I think that benches like this are valid POIs because they allow older people and people who may not be at top physical fitness to enjoy parks. Thus, they facilitate exploration and, very often, socialization.
  2. The plaque/sign means that it's not generic infrastructure.
  3. Location is very scenic(on a bluff looking out over a lake)

Like an idiot though, my supporting photo does not show the lake. I was wondering if that context would cause anyone to feel differently about this nom. Below is a photo from a nom I made for another, similar bench very close to this one, with IMO a better context photo. Would a photo like this that shows the bench overlooking the lake change anyone's mind?

Comments

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

1* - Other Rejection Criteria (Does not meet criteria)

• BayibNukele-PGOBayibNukele-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

Are you saying that you would 1* the original submission or that you would still 1* the submission if the support/context photo were more like #3 above(i.e. taken from behind the bench, showing the lake)?

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like benches with a view. Most reviewers hate them. If you were lucky and ran into a group of me, it might get through. It's highly unlikely, though. I would focus on the view and not the fact it's a memorial bench. It probably won't pass as an anchor for a scenic view. It definitely will not pass as a memorial bench.

Your original photo likely got low quality because it's hard to see the words with that lighting. I wouldn't spend time trying to fix that, though, for the reasons I mentioned above.

• Archis0815-PGOArchis0815-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

The question is, is There something Special with the Bench, has it a special design or something worthful, then it will probably accepted.

The small plate on the Bench is probably Not helping.

Well, I've given three reasons why I think it's special. The problem I have with the anti-bench folks is that they don't cite anything in the guidelines to support their position. Indeed, in the most recent thread I could find on this issue, someone arguing in favor of them did provide a citation to Niantic guidelines that seem to me to clearly open them to consideration, using more or less the same logic that I have applied when deciding to submit them: that they stand out and/or are special in the context in which they exist in the physical world, rather than comparing them to some worldwide ideal(i.e. the universe of all other Pokestops). And frankly, I think that a bench with a fantastic scenic view is a lot more special than Yet Another Piece of Quirky Urban Art, but I acknowledge there's no accounting for taste. :)

Wayfarer 3.1 Release Notes: New Criteria + Darkmode — Wayfarer (nianticlabs.com)

I think that benches clearly also meet the criterion of "a great place to explore" when emplaced on hiking and walking trails. I prefer playing PGO in a natural environment like a nature park as opposed to a central city/downtown environment and my m.o. is to make it more viable to play the game in the former type of environment. This particular bench nomination is located in a newly opened nature park that has a fantastic and wild setting, but only a single Pokestop, no gym, and no spawns other than a meager few around the single stop. The park is a fantastic place to explore, just not while playing a Niantic game...

• Farbsturm-PGOFarbsturm-PGO Posts: 22 ✭✭

I would 1* it, if Gary Fenton is a really known person maybe but still not at all a good nomination. You would need to show some articles about this person and what is so special about a generic bench. If there is not anything really special about it, and just this little sign is not enough

I agree with basically everything you just wrote, but convincing people here won't get your bench accepted. You need to reach your reviewers by including that sort of thing in your supporting info. Ignore the plaque. Notice how you didn't include it at all in that last post. Focus on the park and the view if you want to try again. (Leave out "need more stops", of course. It's not relevant to the acceptance criteria and is a turn-off for some reviewers. )

Thanks, this is the approach I'll take in the future. The focus on the plaque was just because this was one of the first nominations I made, and ironically enough, memorial benches are very common stops in some nearby towns that I occasionally play in. I've only been making nominations in earnest for about 3 weeks and have already gotten 4 approvals, only 2 rejections, and six still in voting/queue by using existing stops in my area as a template. I had to come on here to find out that benches are apparently some kind of third rail. :)

I definitely do not put things like "Need more stops" in the nomination, just trying to explain my thinking here, in the hopes of swaying a person or three, or alternately, having my mind changed by an anti-bench person.

Memorial benches are one of those things that used to be eligible, but are not anymore. That's one of the reasons you can't really guess what is eligible just by looking at what is already in the game.