Which is the difference between a cricket pitch or a throwing circle

rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

The throwing circle is used all year round. It is part of a community park. Part of an old school athletic set up. IE grass based not synthetic.

The cricket pitch is used for 6 months of the year. It is also part of the same community park.

This means when not in use these facilities are open to all to walk around.

Throwing circles are concrete (though quite old)

Cricket pitch is synthetic

Both in google aerial view

Both with evidence on internet

Throwing circles were rejected unfortunately with the other rejection criteria selected which is boring as it provides little to no insight why. Now with good reason it is easy to accept things. But I am just wondering what views people have. What is the difference?

I have seen other throwing circles accepted and I see them as no difference from cricket nets, a football post, jump pits and so on. So hmmmmmm

Thanks for any help. And remember I am not looking for help on description etc it is more around - the difference - why it might be unacceptable when something 200 metres away is....

And lets be fair. Concrete circles in a photo look like --- - concrete circles ;-)

Cricket Pitch Acccepted

Throwing circles Not accepted

Comments

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,608 Ambassador

Yeah, as an American, I have no idea what a throwing circle is in a public park. I am only familiar with these in the context of track and field for winding up to throw discus or shot put. All the ones I've seen for that purpose have a backstop (for lack of a better term) to keep you from releasing the item in the wrong direction. I can't fathom that people practice those sports out in the open in a public park.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank guys

Yes a throwing circle is for discus and shotput.

So absolutley some may not know. I did say shot put and discus. I even had a link to the athletic club that ran training sessions

I will re-write and try again. Perhaps include links to a defintion of what is a throwing circle AND what shotput and discus is..

Thanks again ;-)

• P1dg3ySlayer-PGOP1dg3ySlayer-PGO Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

To me, they are just 2 concrete circles. Regardless of whether I know what it is used for, it's harder for me to accept compared to a Cricket Pitch.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

P1dg3ySlayer-PGO  Thanks for that.

My issue is they are both used for sport.

I get your view but the cricket pitch is made of synthetic grass laid on a slab of concrete. It is worn and tired looking and the cricket ptich has a hole in it.

Same same but different :-)

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

Some sports are more equal than others. 🤔

Locally most of the time that there is a throwing circle it has a cage around most of it.

most field athletics are not easy cases as they have a low impact in terms of visibility whereas a track is distinct.

Cricket is at a big disadvantage unless there is a pavilion or club house to use as an anchor as there is so little to when not in use and when in use it’s crawling with people. I found one in a park good pitch well maintained clear boundary line. But as a photo hopeless. The community centre nearby acts as changing rooms etc and couldn’t be an anchor.

but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.