How do you decide - mismatched location

Hey There,

I sometimes come across nominations which I suspect were mismatched on purpose. For example I recently had two of them: It was a fountain and a pavillon in a park, which in real are placed right next to one another. The nominator had placed them in two seperate nominations and had moved the pin for both nominations a good way further down the road, closer to a row of houses. As both spots were clearly visible on maps (after searching the area for a bit) , I decided to move the pin to the correct location and proceeded to review the nominations like any other.

What do you do in these cases? Reject them rigjt away - for educational purposes - or move the pin?

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

It does sound as though they may both be submitted by one nominator, but always be cautious. 2 potential wayspots could have been submitted by different people and at different times, or in a slow moving area one might be submited and then a large time gap to the second as they have given up on first. We don’t know for certain.

sometimes particular weather or phrasing can indicate one person.

• No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

@X0bai-PGO Wise, methinks, to mark as Mismatched Location for such an egregious error. I, too, attempt to relocate the pin when I see it in the wrong spot (which is almost always), but that's often because Google Earth and Google Streetview are, more often than not, mismatched against each other let alone the real world (and should never be considered accurate, anyway).

At least that is the case in my neck of the woods.

The second problem with Google Maps/Streetview is that the images are now becoming too far out-of-date to be all that useful. I've since found and been using Zoom Earth https://zoom.earth (yes, it's a real link) which has more up-to-date satellite imagery for my area. However, it lacks a comparative street view to Google's.

• people just want to play the game, they may not have 100s of pokestops/gyms nearby, so does it really matter the location is off by a fraction in order for them to actually play the game. What do you gain from moving it into the correct spot, apart from ruining someone’s game. Your doing niantics job for them..

• sujynx-PGOsujynx-PGO Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

Some of my nominations have been in heavily wooded areas and all can see is a canopy of trees when trying to check the location - that's always a bit worrying. I've successfully appealed a couple and the locations are good but I can see how reviewers are unable to check satisfactorily. I've learned about spheres now so hoping that will help.

• No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

@1ACoonerMatata1-PGO Because far too often the Wayspot 'Google' pin is plonked in the middle of a road, on the place next door, in the middle of a sporting field (on which occasions Niantic have already made clear they want them moved to the boundary), smack in the middle of a Children's playground (which, again, should be moved to the boundary of the playset area), six feet out into a river or lake, in the dividing striip of a freeway (once, for me), and all manner of other mismatches that I put down to carelessness on the nominators behalf.

Of course, I could just flag them one star for the first criterion (Mismatched Location) and think to myself, 'Your problem, not mine. Try not to be so careless in future.' But I generally try to do my best to help nominators get through nominations through. After all, it benefits us all.

I'll also point out that one of the repetitive field tasks that pop-up in PoGo is the AR scanning task. How do you propose to successfully accomplish that task if the actual Pokéstop is located twenty feet away from the object it's supposed to be anchored to? You're just going to scan empty space? That would defeat the purpose.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

I only use mismatched location when I really can’t find it.

Otherwise if it needs a little move I do it, we have been given the responsibility to correct the location so I use it.

If the wayspot is otherwise a good candidate, mismatch location will start to push it to reject. They might be waiting over 2 years for it to be resolved.

I’m also wary as it seems to be one of the boxes people just tick to reject.