Reviewing Nominations

I have been reviewing nominations from around the country. It seems to me I need to do more than just look at the pictures supplied. I get on google maps and look for the place. I try to find web sites.

Then I rate nominations with actual 1,2,3,4 or 5 stars. I get the feeling to many reviewers are shutting down nominations right from the start by rating that first picture a 1 and rejecting the whole nomination.

Do you all use the all the ratings? Or is it 5 stars for everything or nothing at all.

Some of these small-town nominations, I feel, are getting shot down because they are small rural place and not bigger cities. If the only place of interest in a little village in WV is cruddy corner market, then it should be a poke-stop. You can guarantee everyone in the community goes there.

Or am i wrong.

Comments

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try not to **** down or deny things without really thinking it through. Oftentimes someone’s description can convince me of a good nomination that I wasn’t sure about.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang censors made my word look worse than it really was.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use all of the ratings but sometimes I can reject something based on nothing but the picture and title. Some things I've seen more times than I'd care to count:

• Stop signs/street signs/one-way signs, other generic road signs
    • The red balls in front of Target (they're in Niantic's documentation for things to reject!)
    • Fast food drive-thru menus (always taken at night... go figure)
    • People's houses
    • "My girlfriend", "My living room", "My dog", etc.

Unless something clearly fails that first basic sanity check then I do use all of the ratings and I don't think I have ever given something five stars for every single category.

I always confirm the location via street view, satellite view, or some other resource if I can. Sometimes it's trivial to do so, sometimes it's quite difficult, sometimes it's impossible to do anything but guess. Some things are usually pretty easy, like playgrounds-- can I confirm the location? Are they on PRP or K-12 property? Are they duplicates? Is there anything else disqualifying? If not then the rest is pretty automatic. Occasionally, it takes me several minutes to try to confirm the location, figure out what the thing is, or work something else out.

The attachment is an example of an easy auto-reject.

• No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Like @Hosette-ING I use all the ratings, plus I try not to let the rating I give one section of a nomination affect the rating in another.

For example I might rate a 'Just Another Bench' a 2 star in the 'Should this be a Wayspot?' section as it is... as implied... just another bench. But I might rate it a 1 star in Title and Description because they've just used 'A bench' for Title and 'A bench' for Description. I mean.... really?? But if the bench is sitting along a walking path in the middle of a park facing... say... a lake, then I'd definitely rate it 5 star for Pedestrian Access.

Each criterion has individual sets of stars because they each need to be judged on their own merits. So, I do precisely that.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also vary the number of stars in each category, according to that category. Even I give a nomination 5* overall, I vary the other stars based on the nomination. I don't think any category sould be 5* for every non-reject.

For example, a statue in a public park has MUCH better pedestrian access than a statue in a gated neighborhood. I'd give the park statue 5* for Safe Access, and the gated statue 3* for Safe Access - even if both got 5* overall.

I know some people always give 5* for Safe Access, even if only ten people could legally go there (like a gated business with a guard). That doesn't help Niantic when choosing wayspots for whatever game and subgame. They want to know about nuances for each wayspot. A statue behind an armd guard is just not the same access as one in a park.