Are community place name signs eligible now?

This simple sign showed up today as a Featured Wayspot. Are non-fountain community place signs now eligible? Did I miss an update?

Comments

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

No and no. But this kind of sign does tend to slip through now and then.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

The featured wayspot is randomly selected. There are occasionally wayspots that shouldn't have been accepted, like school playgrounds, that show up as featured.

BTW, if you review in Florida, neighborhood signs are always accepted there from what I've seen, as long as they aren't plain metal signs, even then...

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not eligible, no, but the system isn’t perfect. Sometimes ineligible nominations get through, and eligible ones get declined. It’s the nature of the business.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,535 Ambassador

For what it's worth, those can be eligible if representing a historic community or visually unique enough. The stonework is mildly interesting but I doubt I'd accept that in review.

Regulars here should know what happened and just be impressed it's in the correct location.

• jokeinsurance-PGOjokeinsurance-PGO Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

From what I was told, most neighborhood sign waypoints have been around when Ingress got started, before PoGo was launched.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 90%-95% of the time these neighborhood signs are not eligible. They just don't meet the criteria of Explore, Gather, Exercise.

There are a going to be 5-10% of time they are by going for the Explore Category. What is special about the community OR what is artisitic about the sign. Explore is something you have to sell to reviewers.

There is also a weird local standards option built into the system. Niantic does encourage local subjectivity and we've seen comments about things that wouldn't be special in a city, be important enough in a rural community. We've also seen countries argue about mailboxes, stinkpipes, and trails in different ways than the larger community.

Ive subbmitted 2 in last year. This picture failed

This one passed.

• 82quuu-PGO82quuu-PGO Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

In the first place, what a place name sign is is different depending on the country or region.

Villages, small administrative unit, town names, etc. have historical backgrounds and are sometimes valuable.

Town name signs installed by locals in historical towns and small administrative unit signs installed for regional development in villages should be valued as place name signs.

The grounds for deeming someone ineligible are vague and will depend on the local community.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Another reason, not mentioned so far: Neighborhood signs are often in people's yards - private residential property. If a crowd gathered there, it would interfere with the homeowner's privacy / access / gardens / etc. (The next game could draw crowds, like PoGo did when it was new.)