Missing portal sync

Hello. At this point I feel it's ok to make a post about this. I had a Wayspot accepted (received mail on the evening of August 23rd). The Wayspot is a sort of historic building in my city and it must be at least 30-35 meters away from the closest existing Wayspot. It will not show up in PoGo due to the cell system, but should be fine in Ingress - only it never showed up in-game.

The Wayspot took a bit of work; best possible photos were tricky, and I did a good amount of research and generally put effort in the nomination. I then earned an upgrade, which can be quite a drag (let's be honest) and used it on the nomination. Naturally I would like to see the result of my effort, but apparently there is a sync problem in Ingress and it honestly seems it's not really a priority to fix it - or?

So I decided to inquire about this particular Wayspot that I had accepted, but that is not appearing.

The location is 56.170002,10.215776 and the Wayspot's name is Tordenskjoldshus.

Could anyone at Niantic tell me if they have decided to not use the portal, or if it's something else that makes it not appear in-game?

@NianticAaron @NianticCasey-ING @NianticGiffard and just generally, all of you at Niantic. 😃

Thanks in advance. Was really looking forward to this Wayspot, so will appreciate your feedback.

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an accepted appeal that must have been approved in that time (nominaton was March 2018, so no email), and has not shown up in Ingress. So, it could be five years from nominating to appearing in game. Or maybe it never will.

It is The Way. 😫

• Kasparos347-PGOKasparos347-PGO Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

It happened with edits too. I have two edits from February 2021 that we're accepted. Syncing costed a long time for PoGO, but they disappeared at that point from ingress and the intel map. Niantic is literally ignoring this huge problem...

• dustinyeeaah-PGOdustinyeeaah-PGO Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an expert but isn't it possible to use a date-filter for the nominations when the sync was turned off and just force a sync manually for each of them?

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

a similar situation happened last year ( those that were selected for Niantic to decide we’re not being credited in ingress). What looks like a simple task to sort out but it took months before they managed to resolve it.

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Niantic, could you please give an answer to this? Can I please get this portal on the map? I did everything I should and could, I would like to see the result now. Or at least get a response and an ETA for a fix or whatever this is about...

@NianticAaron @NianticAtlas @NianticAvocado @NianticCasey-ING @NianticGiffard @NIACHAOSMONKEY-ING

Did I forget anyone? 😂

Sorry, not sorry for the tagging spree. There seems to be no other way. 😐️

This is quite relevant... Of course not only for this particular portal. But yes, I would still like to see a sync. And of course, the silence is not great.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the Ingress Intel map, depending on exactly where you placed the pin, it may fall into the 20m radius of the existing "Peter Wessel" Waypoint, which means it wont appear in any game.

Hi! Thanks for checking this out to help with this. 😊 I placed the pin at the front/entrance of the building. As far as I can see, it would have to have been moved more or less onto the middle of the street for it to be that close, and that would make no sense (but that's how it is sometimes, lol).

I really wish Niantic would respond to this so I'd know for sure. If I got something wrong because of some sort of misunderstanding, fair enough. I really can't see what it would be though, and so it would be great if they could just say what this is about. It's the silence that is kinda heavy. 😓

Thanks again for looking at this, @sogNinjaman-ING. I appreciate it!

• CarolFigueiraRS-PGOCarolFigueiraRS-PGO Posts: 381 Ambassador

I have the same problem it was about a month ago, it wouldn't become a pokestop but it wasn't close enough to anything else and I don't see any reason to be moved. It happened to a lot of subs around last month I think.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand how this is wayfarer related?

What do you mean, what is not Wayfarer related? Accepted Wayspots are supposed to sync at some point, if they meet the sync Criteria, don't you think? Unless of course it's because Niantic simply chooses not to use the Wayspot in any of their games... Which yes, they can choose to do, but in most cases would be bad business for them. And a waste of time for us, submitters.

If this is not Wayfarer related, I don't know what it's related to? 😅

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an ingress issue. If someone posted “my pokestops doesn’t sync” the topic would be shut down.

Seriously? 😂 Well, both PoGo and Ingress have major sync problems from time to time. This has nothing to do with the game Ingress itself, but with a portal - Wayspot! - not syncing due to a Wayfarer fallout of some sort. PoGo Wayspots were affected too. Btw, I don't even know where PoGo submitters would go with sync problems, if not here? There is no PoGo forum for some reason. So yes, we take it here. All of us. Wayfinders. That's kind of what this forum is for?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Unfortunately, we've been told several times that it isn't of the Wayfarer team's concern. The candidate was accepted into their database so their job is done. Apparently the breakdown is with Ingress, and I'm not even sure their team has publicly acknowledged the issue on their forum.

I'd bounce the discussion shared above:

Sometimes the Niantic mod team will answer this sort of query but it slips by. In the past, I've acutely had good luck using the support tools (the website PoGO/Ingress support and/or the in-Wayfarer chat) to find out if a POI appears in an applicable game. They might get confused if this one was affected by The Blip, but might be worth a try.

edited September 2022

The handshake is broken between Lightship and Ingress. (On some new portals, all new pictures.) We don't know if the handshake is broken on the Lightship side or the Ingress side. The two teams should be working together to solve it. That's how data transfers work.

Say the handshake was broken between your bank and your credit card. Your bank says your missing payment is not their fault - it must be the credit card's problem.Your bank can't just walk away. They work with the credit card company until the problem is solved. (Maybe it's the bank's fault after all.)

Post edited by MargariteDVille-ING on

Generally, I just wish Niantic would have the respect to respond to this. It's hard to get through to them, which I can understand, but it shouldn't be this hard. We shouldn't have to repeatedly use mass tags for the team members in order to even get a response.

It's the silence for me. Maybe the Wayfarer team don't consider this to be on their table, and maybe the Ingress team doesn't want to take it either, but it sure as heck isn't on my side. I can't fix this - they can. And should.

• PeteC303-INGPeteC303-ING Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Your waypoint is proxied out by the other waypoint across the road. You say you put the pin far back onto the building. But looks like reviewers have moved it. Now if it was at the back of the building I could see why. But if you had placed it on the triangle part of the roof. I have no idea why anyone would need to move it. Looks like you’ll never see it until you move the other waypoint backwards onto the building more. Which could be a legitimate move.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at this! 🙂 The two other nearby Wayspots are at their correct locations, so I wouldn't move those. But I believe this is not a matter of 20 meter rule (I have been there several times and it's good over 20 meters between all portals). I am 100% convinced that this has to do with the sync fallout (or whatever we choose to call it) that happened during the periode of time, this was processed in.

Honestly, I am not super focussed on Ingress, so I can't remember what the name of this time/event was. Anomaly perhaps? I don't really follow it that much, casual player here. But I heard/saw quite a few others talk about a certain time/event in Ingress, in which accepted Wayspots just generally did not sync and are still missing. We're talking quite a few Wayspots, actually.

I am really convinced this isn't a reviewer move, but I would very much love it if Niantic would respond and just generally communicate about what has happened with the missing Wayspots - and how they plan to fix it.

So, to sum up: At this point I have made this post here (September 2nd), I have posted a few comments in the Ingress Forum also, as someone adviced. I have tried in-game support in Ingress and currently I am trying to use the in-page Wayfarer support option.

I have not been able to get anything from Niantic though.

• * This post here in the Wayfarer community forum has lots of staff member tags, more than once. No one has responded though.
    • * The huge post someone made in the Ingress community forum has even more comments, Niantic member tags over and over, and the original post is from August 1st (!). Also silence from Niantic throughout the post though.
    • * In-game support in Ingress was a huge disappointment. I have been used to the horrors of PoGo in-game support, but for some reason I didn't think this would be almost as bad. First of all, there are no categories at all to cover this sort of question. I chose a random category (the one with CAL), closest to my issue - but really, none of the options had anything to do with the issue I need help with. I explained the situation with the missing portal sync and wrote why I chose that category for the conversation. I suggested more categories, or at least a 'general question' option, and I asked which category would be right for my question. A named support worker then told me to "raise a new request by selecting the right category" - without suggestion which category that would be. Then he closed the conversation. 🙃 I had to start a new one, just choosing CAL again and typing "read previous correspondance" numerous times before being put through to the "human support". I had nothing optional extra to add, which for some reason made the bot (?) close the conversation. Dead end there also.
    • * Currently I am trying Help section on the Wayfarer page itself, which had three contact options, all with very little to do with the subject. I am awaiting their reply, but at this point I'm really not expecting it to be dazzling...

Niantic, is this really how you think it should be? Do you think this is fair to your users? Do you think it is a motivational or even professional approach?

@NianticAaron @NianticAtlas @NianticAvocado @NianticCasey-ING @NianticGiffard @NianticDanbocat @NIACHAOSMONKEY-ING

I wonder how long Niantic will insist to ignore this huge issue for so many users. It's so disrespectful, I can't even...

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo bug, which runs somewhat in tandem with this issue was first reported in October 2020. That is still a huge issue to this day. Niantic has claimed that they are investigating the issue but nothing has happened. Moving everything onto a sinking Lightship (i.e. destroying the insta-Ingress syncs, having things too close stay in a database indefinitely and the whole "likes" system) brought about this mess and Niantic does not have a backup or failsafe. The top-liked photo in Pogo is often stuck and not the cover photo.

Niantic does not care. They already know they perceive themselves this way, so they stay this way. Nothing will be fixed.

• Hey @Johnsonsine-ING,

The Wayspot "Tordenskjoldshus" is not eligible to appear in Ingress due to its close proximity to another live Wayspots.

Having said that, we are still investigating sync issue affecting other Wayspots eligible to appear in Ingress.

Best,

• PeteC303-INGPeteC303-ING Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it’s definitely not a sync issue. It’s literally millimetres too close to the other waypoint opposite. You may have placed the pin too close. I have checked the intel map and zoomed in. The pin of your waypoint falls within the proxy ring of the other waypoint. So unless something is moved. It’s useless to anyone l, which I find ridiculous but they insist on pointless distance rules.

The photos haven't synched in so long, we have to consider the possibility that Niantic WANTS is this way. They want you to meet one of the two scenarios that bring a picture to Ingress:

1) With your own PokemonGo account, give it a thumbs up. Or get a PoGo friend to like a picture. (The likes don't copy to Ingress, but they force the picture sync). Note: This only works on wayspots that are used by PoGo.

2) Submit an edit on the wayspot (in Ingress or PoGo). When it's approved, your pictures will come to Ingress with the edit.

It seems bass ackward, but after almost two years, we have to consider that it's on purpose. Maybe structured this way to force us to interact more with their games. (Or give up.) Or something.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giving up is the likely option.

Should I be the CEO of an angel-investee company, I would offer Niantic $18million for their POI database, including maintenance, management and outsourcing. It has amazing potential to be a Google Maps for POIs (and picnic tables) but it is squandered by a couldn't-care-less trubbish of a company.

edited September 2022

I had a delayed portal go through! An appeal of a 2018 nomination, approved a few weeks ago (we don't get emails from old appeals, so I don't know exactly when it was approved). I got the key!!

EDIT: Pictures didn't sync, and I still don't see the basketball import. But it's something!

Thanks for the reply, I only had to drag it out of you guys... I wonder why I had to work so hard to get that reply.

About the proximity issue: I have had other Wayspots appear even within the same proximity as this one, but I'm gonna let this go now, because I honestly can't do this anymore. I have spent I don't even know how much of my precious energy and time on this Wayspot now, and it shouldn't be this hard reaching out to Niantic. Seriously, it is not okay. Why must users go on multiple random tagging sprees to even get someone's attention at Niantic? You do not get to handle a community like this. Personally, I'm done with this forum. Not the users, but the constant ignoring of users and their numerous attempts to get Niantic to handle important and consistant Wayfarer issues.

You have many very dedicated users who enrich your games (and your company). Please value them.

The irony is that the Wayfarer community forum is still the best place to get a communication with Niantic, out of all the various in-game supports and what have we.

Everyone else: Thanks for the feedback, tips and advice, and a special thanks to those of you who went through the trouble of looking up the Wayspot on Intel map. ❤️

The users here are the gold. But it really shouldn't be this hard to do hobby work.

• Thank you for the valuable feedback. We want to assure you that we are working to make this forum as interactive as possible.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,121 Ambassador

Is the missing Wayspots to Ingress issue still being looked in to? There still seem to be plenty that were lost to The Void.

• iFrankmans-INGiFrankmans-ING Posts: 268 Ambassador

Yes would love to know as well, my OPR live form from Munich is still not synced to ingress, and I can assure you that is not because of proximity issues.