How to Vote on "Courts of the World"?

JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently got a review for a basketball court that had been submitted prior to the "Courts of the World" import. (I'm confident it was before the import because the submitter posted about it on here a few months ago.) The import made a duplicate court going by the photo, but the name of the import was just "X Park". I couldn't decide if I should accept the nomination or mark it as a duplicate. Just going by the name, it's not a duplicate. Going by the picture and my knowledge of the import, it is a duplicate.

What would you all do?

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

It is such a mess.

is there a way when these are found that we can refer direct to Niantic so that data dumped one can be removed and the submitted one go through. The picture title etc look so much better.

it would make no common sense for this to be duplicated ( no doubt this will harm the review stats of those that have already correctly reviewed), arrange to submit an edit of text, location and try and bring photo to top.

Lets have a plan and some joined up thinking.

Actually did I miss it or has Niantic not posted here to acknowledge these imports?

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the imported data doesn't include photos, that would mean that someone has already get one photo submitted and approved for that court and they might as well have sent edits for the title/description, so it might make sense to duplicate the nomination to the approved wayspot.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

We all think that the imported Wayspots were intended to represent basketball courts, since we know where the data came from and Niantic hasn't bothered to provide us with any official information or guidance. But what if they aren't? Maybe these Wayspots are supposed to represent the larger parks or public spaces where these courts are located. In that case, the duplicate should be chosen if the park or public space is submitted.

The imported Wayspots have nothing in the title or description to indicate that they are supposed to represent basketball courts. They also have no photos showing basketball courts. I'm not sure it's right to rate that way based totally on assumptions.

That being said, your screenshot makes it look like a photo for a basketball court has been added to the imported Wayspot. In that case, I would mark as duplicate, because whatever originally came in, the Wayspot is now clearly identified as a basketball court.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that hard to believe I'm sorry to say.

I think they wanted a quick and easy way to incorporate basketball poi into their database and once again didn't bother to think about the knock on effects.

They have attempted to get Go players to do scans for them for free and it failed miserably so they have paid people to do it instead. They won't have to pay anyone to fix the locations, pictures or duplicates from Courts Of The World...

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we know for sure the Courts of the World imports didn't have pictures? There weren't any near me, so I didn't see any the first day.

I don't think so. The pictures in Courts Of The World look user submitted so I don't think they would show.

@JillJilyJabadoo-PGO This is how one that landed near me looked when it was first imported.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they're meant to show up in Ingress, and just fell into the black sync hole with other missing approved portals and pictures.

• Belahzur-INGBelahzur-ING Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hot take, my take on it:

1) Niantic have not said anything about the imports, no official confirmation about them, no guidance etc

2) The titles really lack specifics and don't fully serve Niantic's purpose, a lot of them called "xyz park" (replace xyz with park name) - Okay, so that's a general overall, not the basketball court specifically.

3) The imports don't meet criteria, just a wayspot with a non-specific title, no description and no photo, I don't view them as a pre-existing wayspot.

4) I'd accept them in review as a normal sub, as that's where I feel the agreement is over these blank photoless descriptionless garbage imports.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take:

In the absence of a single word about these wayspots from Niantic, we have to take them as they are. If the title says it's a basketball court then it's a basketball court, and a submission for the basketball court would be a duplicate, and an already-existing wayspot for the court would make the imported wayspot a duplicate. If the title says it's a park, then it's a park, and a submission for the park would be a duplicate, and an already-existing wayspot for the park would make the imported wayspot a duplicate.

Has anyone tried reporting the imported wayspots as duplicates yet? I realize it may be difficult to find a case where both the import and the previous wayspot show up in Pokémon GO (the only possible game to report through if they're not in Ingress at all).

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I said the same thing as most of you and was called "disingenuous" for it in a Discord server I then left. Reviewers who see no photo can only go on the name of the Wayspot. Maybe some people did figure out where these were imported from, but how can the rank and file of reviewers know that when Niantic said nothing to us? The only way you can review is based on what you see in the nomination and on the duplicate screen. In the particular example posted, there is a photo of a basketball court, so assuming there is only one court when you zoom in, I would mark that as duplicate.

I reported a duplicate I saw during review. It's down in the removal appeals section. We'll see what happens with it.

Thanks, all. Normally, I would have gone by the title and not marked it duplicate, but the fact that the photo was a basketball court threw me. I'm not sure how it ended up with a photo of a basketball court if it wasn't during the import process. Maybe someone else had also submitted the court (2 subs and 1 import of the same thing), that sub was marked as a duplicate by reviewers, and that's how the picture ended up as a basketball court? (But why would anyone mark it a duplicate without the court picture?) It's very puzzling.

I skipped it this time, apologies to the submitter, I know In Voting takes forever around here. Next time I'll go by the title and ignore the picture and location.

I have one nearby that showed up at a park in the middle of a basketball court. The basketball court is a Wayspot that appears in Pokemon Go (and I assume Ingress as well), and the imported Wayspot exists 10 meters or so from the player-created Wayspot. I'm not sure that the imported Wayspot appears in any current Niantic game, but I was able to see it on the map that appears during the "New Pokestop" submission process.

I'd be happy to try to report as a duplicate, but I'm not really sure how I'd go about that given that I can't see anything about the imported Wayspot other than its title and a red pin marking its location.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

I disagree with the "take them as they are" mentality. If you know these imported wayspots are supposed to be for basketball courts even though they are all named after their respective parks, and you know that a basketball court submission would be a duplicate of one of these, especially when the pin is located directly on the basketball court, you should review accordingly and treat them as basketball courts. This import is one giant case of wayspots being poorly named, which is honestly not a problem that is new to wayfarer. The real issues with the "take them as they are" logic are presented if you examine other commonly misnamed wayspots.

For example, people often incorrectly interchange words such as gazebo, pavilion, and pergola. If you were reviewing a nomination for a pergola, and there was an existing nomination for a gazebo at the location, but the gazebo nomination did not have a picture, and satellite/street view indicated to you that there was only a pergola at the location and not a gazebo, would you be smart enough to realize that the two nominations were duplicates of one another?

Even worse, what if Niantic used this logic? What if someone reported a portal for "Jim Bob's Park Gazebo" as permanently removed, and Niantic looked it over and saw that there was only a pergola at the location, and not a gazebo. Should they remove the wayspot? After all, no gazebo exists at that location. If they use your "take them as they are" logic, they should remove that portal. If the portal is for a "gazebo" and there isn't a gazebo at that location, but rather another object, take it as it is and remove it. It doesn't stop there, think of all the things that are called "murals" that aren't actually murals. How about the restaurants or churches that change their names? Do you see the problem? Edits and appeals exist for a reason, because sometimes people get things wrong the first time around. Yes these imported wayspots all appears to be named as "parks" despite the fact they are intended for the basketball courts, and yes that will probably trip up some reviewers and lead to some wrong voting decisions, but do you want to be part of the problem, or part of the solution?

Thank you very much for your response, especially in pointing out that some of these Wayspots were imported with basketball court photos. That is something that I haven't seen for any of the imported Wayspots in my local area.

So, if you are confident that these imported Wayspots are intended to represent basketball courts, what is the best path forward to "fix" the situation that the import created? Should we be reporting all of the imported Wayspots that are duplicates of existing basketball courts, and submitting title edits to add the words "Basketball Court" and adding photos of courts to those that aren't duplicates?

I value the integrity and quality of the in-game map. When I see a word in a title that is misspelled, for example, I submit an edit for that. If I see a Wayspot without a photo, I add one.

I certainly didn't mean to be controversial.

I personally can't wait for Niantic's new transportation game where they add in every bus stop and garage everywhere...

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they could invent a doggy clean up game…

I know what the blank picture is. How many reviewers are familiar with the recent 'Uodate' ?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

How many reviews do you think are familiar with every guideline and/or clarification made?

If it gets accepted separately, it'll (likely) be blocked from PoGO & Ingress and be even more difficult to clean up.

3 and a half.

It's almost on top of the blank pic . It most likely will be accepted since the Court Of The World pic is blank and was named Cobden. Not much to go on when looking for a duplicate.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

Yep, reporting duplicates, adding photos, and submitting exits for the ones that aren't duplicates is the way to go.

Personally I'm probably going to wait to report any of the duplicates in my area until reporting functionality works on the Wayfarer App (since they usually are lightship-only), but I've heard some people are having success using the help chat.