This is why Niantic needs to be upfront and clear with players who about cells:

See if you can spot the issue:

Comments

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

My upgrade percentage is crawling along at snails pace. I'm struggling to find people still reviewing/submitting. The people I know who did have mostly stopped.

Ultimately that effects anyone who enjoys Wayfarer more than it will Niantic. They've shown that they are willing to pay people to do things for them when the community refuses to do it for free.

Personally I'll keep moaning and berating them about their sh#t choices of which there are many :)

• ZinkyZonk-INGZinkyZonk-ING Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

I support your position. As a park things nominator you have such flexibility to where to pin the location. It's not a point of interest it's a polygon of interest that could be in multiple cells. .... or for the other game .... not within 20ms

also would like to ask niantic to give players a land use brush and if the park is the only park in a sea of PRP land use ... could that location get more than just one poi per cell? .... I only played pogo to get more subs .... but keen for increased density for suburbs. Get the people out walking!

• SerPrivilege-INGSerPrivilege-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

This isn't about who "wants" to know, it's about people *needing* know before deciding to nominate something.

And knowledge of cells isn't "abuse" of the system. Cells ARE the system. Cells are how the game (Pokemon) functions on many levels.

When Niantic opened up nominations to Pokemon players (a big mistake imho) this is a large part of what they unleashed on wayfarer, and they haven't done anything to remedy it. The easiest compromise (even if you didn't want to "abuse" the system by talking about cells) would be to show the user ALL wayspots on screen prior to clicking submit. That way people shouldn't be resubmitting POIs that already exist over and over again.

Meanwhile....massive backlog.

There are. I have just as many Ingress players abuse the system in their own way too though.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

My point is the reason you are submitting in that game is to improve that games board. So that games rules should be overlayed. With non-abusive bigger items the submitters time and effort should be respected.

Taking the submission and giving them nothing, doesn't respect the submitters time and effort.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@The26thDoctor-PGO Far fewer Ingress players abuse the system because Ingress players are a small percentage of the submission and review population.

Not providing solid guidance and education to submitters and reviewers from all games has been a major mistake on Niantic's part, and frankly I'm flabbergasted that they haven't addressed it in a meaningful way. There's so much low-hanging fruit available for making the system work better, and there are so many trivial ways to reduce player frustration.

I think that a lot of PoGo-only players forget that Pokemon Go couldn't exist if Ingress players hadn't spent years creating the portals that later became pokestops. When Ingress launched the board was pretty barren, mostly imports of historical markers, post offices, and fire stations. I missed the earliest days of that but the playfield filled out a lot between the time I started playing in 2013 and the time that submissions opened up to PoGo players. PoGo players use wayspots that I submitted for Ingress every single day, so I have limited sympathy if every now and then they give Ingress players a gift. (Note, I play both games and played HPWU and Pikmin before I got bored with them.)

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,127 Ambassador

I’m not, but may be in the minority. I’m submitting to help as many game boards as I can, not just one.

@The26thDoctor-PGO I am all about vocally (but constructively, 99% of the time) directing my frustrations toward Niantic.

I can easily see at least 150 stops/gyms from where I'm sitting right now, maybe as many as 200. I'm quite certain I could count the ones submitted by PoGo players on my fingers, but my area has a long history-- some of the portals I can see in my scanner were the site of the first Resistance L8 build in the whole world. Both factions worked very hard early on to build out my city, and really the whole metropolitan area. Different geographies will have very different histories.

I have no hostility toward PoGo players in general. I do get frustrated by the causal cheating in the game, the mob mentality that it occasionally inspires, and by players who think their game is the only one that matters and act selfishly about it.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I gotta cry foul on your comment. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I suspect it's not meant to be insulting to PMG community, but nonetheless it is.

You could just as easily say either of these statements "Far fewer Ingress players DON'T abuse the system because Ingress players are a small percentage of the submissions and review population" or "Far fewer Ingress players properly use the system because Ingress players are a small percentage of the submissions and review population"

A more neutral sentance might read "While we don't know what percentage of each game's players abuse the system, since PMG users far outnumbers Ingress users most of submissions both good and abusive come from that game"

• ZinkyZonk-INGZinkyZonk-ING Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

Well that is not the case in my area. A lot of my local ingress community work in government and private corporations where data quality is really important. Ingress was initially marketed to IT professionals. And that does linger quite a bit in the community.

Must admit it rancors a bit when pogo-ers say we abuse the system for our own purposes. This has been said since prior to wayfarer being open to pogo players. Ingress players are lazy and selfish and manipulative. Yawn. Of course we mainly submit pois where we actually live work and play.

It is awesome that pogo people can contribute as well. I'm not some old man ingress player railing at those pogo upstarts.

Yet just to the west of me there's been some outlandish fakery to fit cells.

I use my knowledge of cells to 1) make sure I prioritise pois that will appear in both games,

2) method for poi discovery I know all my local s14 cells their land use and their poi count. if you just need that one more poi for 2nd or for a 6th it's a driver to reexamine the ground to see if an additional poi is hiding ... I have discovered more poi looking for pogo than for spine portals for layers in ingress.

Just the poi has to be eligible and actually there.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

We just need to lose the low quality wayspots, including the past, and keep the high quality wayspots.

I love players of any game who submit high quality wayspots with qualified titles and descriptions with correct location information.

I hate the opposite.

That's just it.

Also, speaking on the issue of the "urban-rural divide" that is often mentioned in Pokémon GO, I personally think the system should be changed to separate wayspot from item acquisition locations in Pokémon GO, because it would close the gap between urban and rural areas.

Because Pokémon appear from data that has nothing to do with wayspot.

In this regard, I feel that the poor construction of the game system by Niantic's Pokémon GO team and the Pokémon Company has blurred the essence of this game.

@tp235-ING A lot of item acquisition in PoGo often comes from quests and gifts.

Most of mine come from stops. Opening gifts is a laborious process so I rarely open them.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gifts still require stops to access. A community of rural players would still struggle to get enough items just from sending each other gifts.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,127 Ambassador

Getting a little off track now, but I’m sure the Buddy thing where it picks you up a few gifts each day is still active, so you can still get some.

I would also hope your friends that are in other places know if you’re in a low density area and send you gifts more often.

I mark those friends with a “1 <nickname>” so I make sure to do that.

From your enlightened, no pun intended, position what do you think the reasons are that Go players can't understand map stuff and seem so disinterested in Wayfarer?

Maybe the vast majority of poi are just stops so have less meaning to them?

Maybe they feel Ingress wouldn't exist without Go's money so it's a fair trade off?

Maybe the evangelical gatekeeping of the we the chosen few attitude that still persists even now?