Rejected for “sensitive location”

It’s the SIGN for the cemetery which is not in the cemetery. How would you suggest changing this submission? I’m confused. There are no stops or gyms for literally miles and since when are cemeteries not valid?

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

People do not gather to socialize at a cemetery sign - or inside the cemetery (*) for that matter. People go to cemeteries to mourn. It would be insensitive to stand around staring at your phone while someone is crying about the deep loss of their parent, sibling, child, or friend.

(*) Exception: Some old cemeteries have been made into parks, with walking path routes, and events (my favorite: a beer tasting called "Malts and Vaults"). For these nominations, your supporting info can include a link to the park website or event page.

Another exception: If no one has been buried in a section for a few decades, you might get a piece of art approved, like an angel or lamb. But you'd need to make a good case for it. Usually https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery can back you up that there aren't any fresh graves, but I don't find that cemetery there. Either don't mention the person whose name is on that monument, OR look them up and include info about how they were important. IOW, engage the reviewers and explorers.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no stops or gyms for literally miles and since when are cemeteries not valid?

From the rejection criteria page that can be found here: https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/criteria/rejection

🚫Ineligible location, place, or object

Sensitive locations like gravestones (not associated with a significant/historical figure) and cemeteries

There are some exceptions to this that have been noted by other commenters. One other example I can think of where I would personally be in favour of accepting a cemetery/grave nomination is for Commonwealth War Graves (which doesn't apply here as you're not in a commonwealth country). The CWGC who are the organisation responsible for the maintenance of these graves/cemeteries do have a mission statement on their website that states they want people to actively explore these sites and learn about them. For that reason I feel like they should be compatible with Niantic's exploration criteria. However, I know a lot of other reviewers would always err on the side of caution with these and I can completely understand why.

But yeah, that's off on a tangent. A regular cemetery by itself is not eligible as it's covered by the rejection criteria. There may be things within the cemetery that are eligible though. I also notice there's a church (Trinity Lutheran Church) at approximately 38.172415,-78.867885 which doesn't appear to be in the Lightship database. Have you tried submitting that?

• Alttara-PGOAlttara-PGO Posts: 22 ✭✭

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I have been playing since 2016 and have seen SO MANY cemeteries as stops and gyms. When did they become off limits?

I nominated the church and it’s sign (the sign is distant) and they’re in the queue…

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm personally not a fan of cemeteries or anything inside them being added.

In saying that though there is one near to me that is used as somewhere people are encouraged to visit as somewhere to stroll around in a peaceful setting

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cemetery is an easy 1* in review and, overall, a poor place to play video games.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of cemetaries really require local knowledge. Some are no longer active at all with all the stones being very old and make good way spots. I know of one that literally has signs up "keep your dog on leash" and dog waste stations because they are purposefully open for the community to walk through.

The overall stance on difference between Cemetaries/Churchs 1* vs 5* has always been a source of frustration to me. Some cemetaries are more welcoming than some churches.

I've had priests say that its very disrespectful to be playing a video game in a house of god. In 2017 when raiding was more a series of cars going from raid to raid, there was one church, four cars of us showed to. It wasn't during mass, empty parking lot. Priest came out and started yelling at us and recording our lisence plates. I even had the cops arrive when I parked at a church blocking me in saying the church reported suspicious person walking around trying to break in. Thankfully, it was pouring rain and I pointed out to the officer I was dry as a bone in my car and no water even in floor (left from my garage)

• Ribky-PGORibky-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

Cemeteries are a tough sell in general. The first reply had a lot of good pointers that should help you push this one through. But it still might take a few tries. I've had a lot more luck with old graves of local historical figures than I've ever had with signs. I'm surrounded by cemeteries where I live not, some of them are full of monuments and memorials that aren't graves and those work the best. A lot of the community auto 1 stars cemeteries and graves (which is wrong) so you have to really prove your case that its someplace commonly frequented and gathered in by people other than mourners.

As for the upgrade use, use those for the shoe-in stops that you know 100% meet all criteria, never use them on something that commonly go either way in the review process (cemeteries, picnic areas, local businesses, etc)

My next upgrade was for a fire place w/ grill on the other end of church grounds near a picnic pavilion and it was rejected with the comment that it was a 3rd party photo. It completely was not.

tbh if people are going to rate like this after all the reviews I did to earn the upgrades, I see no point in being a Wayfarer. I mean, I do actual research on nominations before rating them! Meanwhile somebody’s little free library 5’ from their front door is a stop…

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it can be frustrating but third party photo was probably not the only rejection reason, it's just the one that stands out as being nonsense. Only one person had to click that for it to show up. But if you want help with the nomination, go ahead and post it.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,606 Ambassador

@Alttara-PGO You seem to be getting pretty frustrated and I don't entirely blame you. It's not easy to navigate the moving target of what things make good POI and what things don't.

Instead of talking about this one particular nomination, I'm going to recommend that you join the Wayfarer discord and read through the advice that is given to people for their nomination in there. Or you can also spend some time looking through other people's posts in here as well. Both of these places have experts who understand the current criteria and can help you get a feel for what will be voted on when you use an upgrade.

For now, I would stay away from places like Facebook and Reddit because the people on there often give bad advice (though I'm on Reddit trying to counteract that).

It's difficult but not impossible to figure it out. There's also a lot of people who will do satellite flyovers of an area to help you identify submittable things in your area if you want to share that with them - but I would only do so in a smaller group like the discord.

I posted it.

Feedback was that it was “just a dirty fireplace”. Never mind anything about the rest of the area (church grounds with a fabulous cemetery hosting graves from the Revolutionary War, Civil War and War of 1812). Surrounded by gorgeous fields with mountains and sheep. A historic church (not in use except for twice a year) and a pavilion with picnic tables to eat whatever was cooked on the fireplace.

I was successful in getting a few stops there but was trying to make a local POGO destination, since there aren’t any for at least 5 miles in any direction. And, this seems like an awesome place to do that! However, more than a stop and a gym are needed to accomplish that.

it really is frustrating that people dismissed it out of hand when I actually do research on nominations I vote on. Google, closely check maps, etc. and to me (and other rural players!) it matters what is (or isn’t) in the surrounding areas.

I am literally a 10 minute drive from anything. This is only a 5 minute drive, and could be an awesome POGO destination.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m assuming the church and the pavilion have been nominated? Try calling it a fire pit. Stress it’s use as a gathering place. Are there cookouts or picnics hosted there?

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

@Alttara-PGO and @Cowyn2016-PGO If you nominate things in cemeteries, be sure to spell cemetery correctly. It's not a reason for rejecting, but when any word is spelled correctly on a sign (or google address), and incorrectly in the wayspot title - it can look sloppy like the nominator doesn't care.