Wayfarer Twitter Challenge - Discussion
We’re excited to announce our first ever #NianticWayfarer Twitter Challenge. This challenge will be a great way to highlight some of our Explorers, global communities, and amazing accepted Wayspots. The challenge will be split into 3 parts with the first 2 running for 1 week each and the last challenge running for 2 weeks; 4 weeks in total. This means that this challenge will run from September 18th - October 15th. Winners for all parts of the challenge will be announced on October 21th, 2022 on our NianticWayfarer Twitter & Wayfarer Community Forum.
Now let’s break it down!
- Part 1 - Accepted Nomination Challenge (Sept. 18th - Sept. 24th)
- For this challenge, we want to see your best accepted nomination that highlights one of our chosen Wayfarer Eligibility Criteria: Exploration, Exercise, & Social. This challenge will have 9 winners! There will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each Wayfarer Eligibility Criteria. To enter, log into your Wayfarer account, go to your Contributions tab, and find the nomination you’re most excited about submitting. Then you’ll want to take a screenshot of it showing the Title, Main Photo, and Description. While challenging on some mobile devices, we recommend you do it on your computer for best results. Once you’ve taken the screenshot, it’s time to Tweet! Reply to the Accepted Nomination Challenge post (coming Sept 18th) with your screenshot, add a hashtag indicating which Wayfarer Eligibility Criteria you’re submitting it for (#Exploration, #Exercise, #Social), and #WayfarerChallengePart1 by Sept. 24th 11:59pm PDT to be considered for the challenge. We will then compile the submissions and our team will vote for their favorite nomination which best demonstrates each of the three categories! The top three in each category will win the prizes stated [below].
- Part 2 - Community Wayspot Challenge (Sept. 25th - Oct. 1st)
- For this challenge, we want to see your favorite Wayspot that you’ve seen while playing our games (Pokémon GO, Ingress, PikminBloom). To enter this challenge, you’ll need to go out into your community, play any one of our Niantic games and take a screenshot of your favorite Wayspot while in the game. The screenshot should be of the Wayspot details screen showing the name & description. PikminBloom is the exception where it’ll just be on the first page after clicking on the Wayspot. The winners for this challenge will be randomly selected and there will be 9 winners based on the game the submission is from. There will be 3 winners for Pokémon GO submission, 3 for Ingress, and 3 for PikminBloom. Each game will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. Similar to the previous challenge, once you have the screenshot you wish to submit, Tweet it to us by responding to the Community Wayspot Challenge post (coming Sept. 25th) with your screenshot and the hashtag #WayfarerChallengePart2 by Oct. 1, 2022 11:59pm PDT in order to be considered for this challenge. We will take all submissions and randomly select the winners!
- Part 3 - Explorer Group Photo Challenge (Oct. 2nd - Oct. 15th)
- For our final part of the challenge, we’re looking for group photos of you with your Explorer community (IRL or Virtual). 4 Explorers minimum & 20 Explorers max per group photo/screenshot. To enter this challenge, you’ll need to get together with your community and take a group photo while embodying part of or all of the Niantic mission (Exploration, Exercise, and Social). Once you have your group photo ready, reply to our Explorer Group challenge post (coming Oct. 2nd) by Oct. 15th 11:59pm PDT with your photo and hashtag it with #WayfarerChallengePart3 to be considered for this challenge. There will be two sets of winners, one for the IRL group photo and one for Virtual group photo. Challenge submissions of mixed IRL/Virtual group photos are not allowed, meaning if you are doing an IRL group photo, you can’t hold a screen of someone(s) joining virtually. Also no photoshopping or collages. Our team will judge the photos based on their creativity and the top three photos in each category will be awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Each person in the photo will be eligible for the relevant reward stated below. Since this one is done as a group, only 1 person from the group will need to submit the photo (tagging others in the photo on Twitter is highly encouraged), winners will be contacted after the final announcement to gather information to distribute rewards. Please ensure you have permission from those in the photo to enter this challenge. We can’t wait to see who gets the most creative!
- 1st Place Winners - 1 Upgrade + 1 Appeals Fast Track
- 2nd Place Winners - 1 Appeals Fast Track
- 3rd Place Winners - 1 Upgrade
Please keep in mind that neither the Upgrade nor the Appeals Fast Track will guarantee a specific result. While Upgrades will operate as they always have (applied to the nomination desired by the Explorer once granted), the Appeals Fast Track will be done internally by our team to an Appeal that has not yet been decided on. Appeals to an Appeal decision cannot be done.
Rewards will be distributed after the winners have been announced. We will reach out to the winners on Twitter to collect distribution information. For the Group Photo challenge, the winning group submitter will be contacted to provide the information of all group members. The number of members present in the photo will need to match the number of Wayfarer eligible condenames given.
- Overall Timeline: 09/18/2022 - 10/21/2022 PDT
- Accepted Nomination challenge: 09/18/2022 - 09/24/2022 PDT
- Community Wayspot challenge: 09/25/2022 - 10/1/2022 PDT
- Explorer Group Photo Challenge: 10/2/2022 - 10/15/2022 PDT
Additional information. One entry per person per challenge part. This means that although there are several categories per part of the challenge, you’ll only be able to submit 1 entry per challenge part. You will however be able to enter all 3 parts of the challenge. As an example, you may submit 1 screenshot for Part 1, 1 screenshot for Part 2, and one photo for Part 3. You cannot enter more than 1 screenshot/photo per part. Entrants must be Wayfarer Explorers to enter each challenge. Don’t forget to add the hashtags associated with each part of the challenge and feel free to add the following tags as well #NianticWayfarer & #WayfarerTwitterChallenge. All Niantic, Wayfarer, and Twitter Terms of Service apply. Please enter responsibly.
Check out the original post here!
Good Luck to all that take part.
i’m not on Twitter and so I’ll concentrate on other things
Willing to help with someone else’s group photo 😎
can you better explain how we're supposed to do a virtual group photo for challenge #3? i'd like to do one with my local wayfarer group, but we're all spaced pretty far apart despite technically being in the same community/general area of north texas/dfw. how are we supposed to take a group photo online without the assistance of photoshop or collages?
Interesting way to make Wayfarer look fun on social media. I don't post photos of myself but will probably participate in the first two. If I can figure out how to use Twitter. I only use it to contact Niantic Support XD
Loving this, im excited for all three!
Time to dig out all my best trailmarker submissions!
For Part 3, if all Wayfarers in that photo are tagged and they win, do they all get the reward?
Instead of just the one person who submits it?
Great question! Screenshots. So the way I envisioned it is that you would all go onto a Zoom, Google Meet, etc (any platform that supports video conference calls) and then showing all of the participants (20 max), have one of the group members take a screenshot. Both Zoom and Google Meets have a free version.The person taking the screen shot would need to be on a laptop/desktop to allow for all to be present on the same screen. Hope this helps.
All of the participants in the winning group photo (20 max) will get the rewards. Make sure that the person submitting the group photo has access to your Wayfarer eligible codename in the games or your Wayfarer eligible email so that all can get the rewards. Hope this helps!
So for the group photo is there a minimum number?
But I presume the ideal location will be at a picnic area with a trail marker in a forest would hit social explore exercise. We would need to submit a photosphere. 🤔
and how are we meant to organise if we can’t DM
Lmao, this was made for me
If you’re not going to be able to travel to visit the Wayspot you want to submit for part 2, see if you Can get a friend to send you a dynamic link to the Portal in ingress.
Can I respond with the photo you took with me at GoFest, @NianticTintino ? My usual Wayfarer group is at max one other person anyway 😂
Ahhh great question! 4 minimum should be a good enough group size. I'll add it to the description, thankfully we still have enough time before the group photo challenge.
I'd also just clarify that location ins't the only way to embody the Niantic mission. You're free to do that with props, activities, etc. Let your creativity go wild 🎇
I'll leave the organizing to you all. Feel free to text, DM on other platforms, make forum discussions for folks in your area, etc. The possibilities are.... almost endless but there are ways.
A lot of good can come from this because the photo syncs and many of the lost portals when sync was paused for the Superposition Anomaly have finally synced into game. This alters my sentiment a lot about the company for a while to somewhat positive (rather than cynical), so I'll make the most out of this since my roadtrip earlier this year was retweeted by the Wayfarer Twitter.
Appeals fast track?
Upgrades for Appeals?
I hope you recognize how broken your system is, when problems like this are now promoted to features ....
@NianticTintino I assume we can only submit one nomination for challeneges 1 and 2, correct? For example for challenge, can we submit one place that is a great to explore, and another that is a great place to exercise? Or for Challenge 2, could we submit one location in Ingress, and another in Pikmin Bloom?
Can you also elaborate a little on challenge 1 in regards to nominations that might fit multiple criteria, such as being both a great place to explore AND be social? Do we need to pick which one fits best or can we submit for both.
You'll only be able to enter each part of the contest once. So for part 1, the Accepted Nomination Challenge, you'll only be able to enter/submit one accepted nomination. If your entry fits more than one, please pick the criteria it fits best or that you think would give it the best chance to win. Same for part 2 (you'll need to pick if you're submitting for Pokémon GO, Ingress, or PikminBloom; and 3 (part of only one group). Hope that helps clarify.
So, if we're in several Wayfarer groups, we need to choose a favorite for Part 3 - Explorer Group Photo Challenge (Oct. 2nd - Oct. 15th). Or, if we're the organizing type, we should only organize one get-together. Even if we're friends with people in multiple cities / states.
Maybe this could be changed to one meet-up per 100 miles, for each participant?
#1 Doxx yourself on Twitter.
#2 Doxx yourself on Twitter.
#3 Doxx yourself and friends on Twitter.
Y'all have got to be kidding me with this ****.
Great idea to spread awareness of Wayfarer using social media. But this is not a challenge, this is a competition! Individuals are rewarded by voting, which has no added value for participants. It's just a lottery. And the rewards are once again spartan. But it's nice to know that there are now Fast Tickets for Appeals while you've been waiting for 8 months yourself. 🤷🏻♂️
How can I choose just one?
@NianticTintino sorry for the intrusion, but shouldn't your team choose the new @NianticWayfarer Twitter account manager after Danbocat left? And maybe announce this challenge on Twitter too.
Earlier I've wrote this and then there's Twitter challenge announced shortly after..., coincidence? I think not.
Also is there any participation reward, even if I can only participate to one part challenge?
How will you prevent people from entering the first two parts multiple times using multiple twitter accounts?
If there is a minimum account age, you’ll prevent people who have no twitter yet from participating while still allowing people who already have multiple accounts to participate multiple times.
People openly admitted to submitting the criteria clarification contest form multiple times, even though you nicely asked them to only submit it once.
Yes they’re giving out honorable mention ribbons.
It doesn't seem so far that people are too excited to promote wayfarer in Twitter
I havent take part in Challenge last month, i wont take part in this one. Althou i like the idea of thinking outside the box, this whole thing feels a bit like it is totally out of sync and totally in a different time/space continuum.
It’s so funny to me…Niantic could announce a contest. “Just write down a number. Any number.” Prize: a million dollars. Someone would still complain.
I think when things that really need fixed like portals not synching, Niantic Voting bug, streetview jump bug and many others have persisted for so long plus the state of the reviewing system, appeal system, Niantic's woeful in house reviewing... the list goes on then it's fine to be bemused or complain at
'Woooo... Social Media Challenge!... Show us things that you or someone else has already added....Woooo! Soooociaaal Meeeediaaa Chaaalleenge Guyzzzz!'
"If you run multiple accounts yourself, please post screenshots of all your accounts (Main, baby, that one of the other team that you use to knock other peoples accounts out of "your" gyms, the two of the 3rd team that belong to "your cousin, etc etc"), so that we can reward you and ban all your others as per the Niantic TOS".