Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Photo Bug - Accepted but not in the Game?

12345679»

Comments

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is this still a problem well over a year since it was first acknowledged and supposedly Niantic was going to try and fix it?

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/16114/photos-not-syncing#latest

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bumping because it seems that it's still happening -- two new photos were accepted for a wayspot, and they don't yet show in Ingress more than 24 hours later. I've DM'd the location to @NianticTintino-ING

I know that I "can" still go to the location and use the thumbs-up trick to trigger a sync back into Ingress, but the artifact in question is at least a 40 minute round trip along the trails from the nearest parking, and even farther than that for me because the closest the buses get is another 30+ minutes walk away.

I'm just DYING here, because I've got a few more of those to submit along that trail, and I don't want the lazy reviewers to flag them as "duplicate", so changing the main photo on the newly existing one is relatively a priority for me.

I don't suppose that anybody knows -- when a wayspot has a different main photo showing in Ingress versus Pokemon Go, which picture gets shown to reviewers when they're checking for duplicates? Or is it "just" whichever one has the most votes (combined) total?

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,123 Ambassador

I can see this bug says “Investigating” so figure I’ll bump here.

For Ingress, newly added photos don’t appear unless they get a 👍 on Pokémon GO, and there’s no way to get them to appear if they’re not on Pokémon GO, and if you’re not level 38 on that game you can’t 👍 them either.

Thia was due to find an update next week, on 23rd July?

• theENDtype-PGOtheENDtype-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

Seeing this too with Pokémon GO. Photos I submmited in Go around June 2022 that are getting approved in August are not showing up, even days after the email is sent that it was accepted in Go. I even looked on Ingress and nothing is there as well. So far it's 50/50 with new photo approvals I've been getting pushed through.

Even if the photo does show up in GO or Ingress, even if you give it a vote/thumbs up in that app the portal/stop/gym doesn't change the image to the "most liked" one anymore. Kind of annoying since I've been slowly adding new photos in my home city to replace low quality, shot it night time or shot from a car window photo that's 8-9 years old on the POI that have 0 thumbs up.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, look at that. 100 upvotes and still no end in sight.

• theENDtype-PGOtheENDtype-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

Speaking of that. I finally got my new photos to sync on old POIs in POGO. I saw that Ingress is having an issue that new portals aren't synced unless someone in GO upvotes the new gym/stop photo. I confirmed two new stops I had created in GO never showed up in Ingress and I waited days. So I thumbs up my photo on those new stops, and waiting a full day or so to give the sync time and like so, they showed up in Ingress.

I soon thought about that idea, and went to the old stops in GO I've been waiting days for my new photos to appear, and I thumbs up one of the old photos. Then after a day or so, like magic my new photos showed up. Not sure if it's coincidence but now I am going to have to backtrack my emails of all photo submissions done between June-Now. Look for ones where my photo was approved, then go and confirm if it is in the game or not. If it is not, I will have to thumbs up a random old photo and re-check in 2 days to see if my new photo is now in the game.

• picardemon-INGpicardemon-ING Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

My pictures are also getting accepted but then not added to ingress.

I like to update pictures from very old portals but it's just not worth the effort sadly

• ap011012-INGap011012-ING Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I see the same situation. Several proposed photos do not appear in Ingress.

Please NIA, investigate the situation!

• Zilvinas95-PGOZilvinas95-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

My photos got accepted by the community on August 3, but still not in the game.

• ph3d-INGph3d-ING Posts: 20 ✭✭

No updates from Niantic? I cannot belive this is STILL an non resolved issues. At least i can "add" photos voting in POGO but this is a community-driven workaround

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 25 portal pictures accepted March 31+, that have not been sync'd to Ingress.

A stray picture has synched here and there. One was synched with a name edit. Another, I think a Trainer gave it a thumbs up (it's at a touristy place, far from my home). But most do not come through. I don't want to have to submit edits, to see my pictures.

• Tommeko-PGOTommeko-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi,

When can we expect to get a new update by niantic? There still no offical response posted by the wayfarer team.

Today, I've noticed a LOT of 500+ AP instances appear on my screen throughout the last couple of hours. I think they might be related to photos. It's like one every couple of minutes.

edited October 2022

This is absolutely shít.

I recently went back to an area where I had uploaded and had photos approved. Here are some results:

• These photos approved on September 29 are NOT in game: St Marys Arts & Craft Studios, The Chambers, Memorial Hall Official Opening Plaque, St Marys Corner Community and Cultural Precinct Official Opening Plaque, The Big Big Aloha, Little Gnome Kiosk, Glenbrook Station History Plaque
    • These photos approved on September 29 appear instead: Rose Day Plaque
    • These photos approved on September 30 are NOT in game: St Marys Bicycle Sculptures, Footsteps in Time - Glenbrook, The Glenbrook Visitor Information Plaque
    • These photos approved on September 30 appear instead: St Marys Community Centre Directional Marker

This is even worse because the majority also don't even appear in Pokemon GO so there is no way to like them in the first place. Even the wayspots that appear in Pokemon GO don't even have the photo attached to them to attempt to bring it back into Ingress.

What's the héll is going on?

edited October 2022

Ingress daily photo uploads haven't happened in a couple years.

Niantic only uploads pictures to Ingress every six months to a year - and then, it's probably not because we complained. It's probably some other database refresh, that happens to pick up pictures. And they may not even notice. (They don't communicate with us, and it's gone on too long to be an "oops".)

If you want pictures to show on Ingress before the random annual-ish upload, you can

• Get a PoGo Trainer to give any photo a thumbs up (assuming it shows up in PoGo),
    • OR submit a title or description edit. Niantic apparently would rather have lots of edits, than fix the photo upload.

This is a SHOCKINGLY TERRIBLE WAY TO RUN A DATABASE.

Sigh. It's not that they're not being updated and added in-game, it's that they're super inconsistent. As always.

When you have sets of photos approved on two separate days and just one out of a subset of each of them appear in-game, it's quite sad.

Agreed. I’d love it to go back to a daily sync of photos, and am not sure why it’s such a huge issue to be able to fix.

Some photos on Wayspots have been there for almost ten years now and with the advance of smartphone cameras, they may as well have been taken on a potato, so it’s nice to be able to update them.

edited October 2022

The oldest reference I've found is from the June/July 2019 AMA:

Q56: In as much as portals get approved or denied, additional photos that were submitted to portals have been in limbo for quite a while. Is there no way that these can be added to portal edits in OPR?

A56: I’m told this should no longer be an issue but NIA OPS will review your account to see if something was isn’t happening as it should.

Assuming "quite a while" means a few months, in early 2023 we'll hit four years.

Post edited by MargariteDVille-ING on
  • ph3d-INGph3d-ING Posts: 20 ✭✭

Sync is not working automatically again, and probably next time also will be a Manual job

I don't know if the Niantic servers are linux or windows, but a stack overflow for "how to schedule a script to run one a day" normally gives a lot of answers, for CRON or for AT commands.

• jokeinsurance-PGOjokeinsurance-PGO Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that a few of my accepted photo submissions have at least taken a month for them to show up in-game (Pogo and Ingress).