Why is my wayfinder-rating going down??

So I recently saw that my wayfinder-rating had went from good down to fair. Which I first thought was weird. I took some time to analyze what I might do wrong. And when I continued to go through more nominations my rating once again went down, but this time to bad. I really don't know what's wrong since I've thought in the same way all the time when I go through nominations. Even when my rating was good. Somebody else that has the same experience nor somebody that can help me with getting my rating up again?

Comments

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting your rating up is a numbers game. If you’ve only done a few reviews, one or two mismatched reviews or mess up a honey pot will bring your rating down. If you’ve done many, many reviews, a few missteps and you’ll probably still stay in good or great rating. My advice is just keep going.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

When my rating has dipped in the past, I've resolved the issue by slowing my review pace. I don't mean just slowing how quickly I process individual reviews: that's standard practice anyway, taking ample time with each one. I also decrease how many reviews I process per day, usually just a couple, until my rating normalizes. Another reviewer in my area stopped reviewing entirely when she dropped to Good standing from Great, and within two weeks her rating was back to its old level.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you got what we call a "honeypot". Here's what Niantic said when they started the practice

We have taken steps to pre-approve or reject certain Wayspot nominations prior to them entering Wayfarer. Reviewers who disagree with our assessment may see a dip in their performance score. 

It doesn't matter if you've done 5 reviews or 50,000 - misjudging a honeypot will tank your level.

Unless they've changed how it works, without telling us. Niantic wouldn't do THAT, would they?

Full blog entry: https://nianticlabs.com/news/wayfarer-checkin?hl=en

• Beneathar-PGOBeneathar-PGO Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

I'm experiencing the same currently.

Surely, I got some wayspots wich were dicy and where im unsure if they should be approved or not and made a decision to my best knowledge, but i surely didnt do everything wrong. I did about 50 reviews and my rating tanked from super down to okay.

This has never happened before and I really do not understand why it happened. Did I trip into a honeypot twice in a row?

Or did something change with wayfarer? It seems there has been an update of some kind, as the Page looks different now, and the way reviews are handled changed by a lot?

I don't understand. And I'm quite disappointed I dropped that much by doing nothing wrong.

• I have the same problem... From perfect to okay in a half hour... What is this ...

We spend much time to review on the spots and what Do u get?!

I Look realy clear, search and correct the spots in review... and now? My points for medal stop counting... So i stop review ZzzZ

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some Niantic AMA (Ask Me Anything) guidaance on your rating. (In addition to the "Honeypot" info above.)

November 2, 2017

• Q41: I went to Panama/Mexico, and did some opr down there.... I went from Great to Poor in the matter of a day while maintaining a 70% agreement ratio. I have close to 200 agreements since then...and my needle hasn't moved..and my stat isn't counting. My questions are: What gives?
    • A41: OPR performance takes many factors into account including abuse detection. The best way to ensure your rating stays high is to take time to carefully analyze each candidate.

June 2019

• Q63: What would you do if you always accurately and fairly rated your mom's lasagna, but suddenly one day your mom's reviews were called 'poor', and no matter how you review her lasagna from that point forward, she only said your reviews were 'poor', they didn't count, and she would never do anything to tell you why?
    • A63: Order more of her lasagna and keep eating it because it is THAT good.

July 2020 AMA

• Q: Do you plan to implement some sort of feedback to help educate reviewers on the reasons the rating dropped? Since reviewers have no idea where they are disagreeing with Niantic's assessments, will you provide feedback on what categories reviewers are in most disagreeing with Niantic?
    • A: Thanks for your feedback, we hear you on the frustration you feel around reviewer ratings. We have some changes in store that will help you to better understand your rating as well as the areas which contributed to changes in your rating. We are currently reviewing the manner in which the Niantic selected nominations are processed in the backend to leverage this system to better provide information to Wayfarers not only on where they diverged from our reviews but also to better educate you on what to do next time. Additionally, we’ve rebalanced the ding against your rating for disagreeing with the Niantic review in order to make it less impactful on your overall rating and are continuing to make adjustments to this formula so it doesn’t feel impossible to improve your rating.

August 2019

• Q71: In the light of massive banning of accounts, how to you expect "good and nice players following the rules" to prove themselves innocent?
    • A71: By not breaking the rules. NIA OPS false positive rate is extremely low. The communication sent to players about why they are banned could be improved to be more specific. This potential ambiguity allows bad actors to hide behind plausible deniability. People by nature generally prioritize self-preservation above most things. So while sometimes, good people get swept up in bans, those are almost always overturned on appeal. But what people who buy gear and have their child’s account store it aren’t telling you is that they bought gear. In some cases, people have been warned previously and still continued to do it. It’s hard to claim innocence when we can see a clear chain of custody of illicit items originating from third party sellers and transferred to these accounts via bots.

October 2019

• Q40: In OPR, does the "What is it?" section effect your rating status at all?
    • A40: The Wayfarer team tells me it does not affect your rating.

• Beneathar-PGOBeneathar-PGO Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

"July 2020 AMA

• Q: Do you plan to implement some sort of feedback to help educate reviewers on the reasons the rating dropped? Since reviewers have no idea where they are disagreeing with Niantic's assessments, will you provide feedback on what categories reviewers are in most disagreeing with Niantic?
    • A: Thanks for your feedback, we hear you on the frustration you feel around reviewer ratings. We have some changes in store that will help you to better understand your rating as well as the areas which contributed to changes in your rating. We are currently reviewing the manner in which the Niantic selected nominations are processed in the backend to leverage this system to better provide information to Wayfarers not only on where they diverged from our reviews but also to better educate you on what to do next time. Additionally, we’ve rebalanced the ding against your rating for disagreeing with the Niantic review in order to make it less impactful on your overall rating and are continuing to make adjustments to this formula so it doesn’t feel impossible to improve your rating."

Well that didnt seem to happen. I'd love to see how my ratings performed and where i went wrong, but theres no way to do this

Anyways, I think i get where i went wrong:

"OPR performance takes many factors into account including abuse detection. The best way to ensure your rating stays high is to take time to carefully analyze each candidate."

I was a bit soft on some candidates that day-i guess i felt like it - and gave em in benefit of the doubt a low rating instead of a rejection. Those were like 10 of those, and if all those got rejected, I understand why my rating dropped after the fact.

Seems the general rule is: when in doubt: reject.

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

Mine has dropped from Great to Good for the first time in 45,000 reviews.