When editing, which takes precedence? The photo subject?

AlaynaFire-PGOAlaynaFire-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Misc Appeals Discussion

Both in my reviewing, and my own nominations I'm noticing a consistent issue.

The title and/or location doesn't match the photo.

For example, a local church has a wayspot. The photo is of the church. The title is the church. But the location was placed out at the signpost, instead of the church building.

The other day reviewing, I came across a mural photo submission. The title was for the business, the location was at the front of the building... but the mural from the photo was in the back of the building, and is clearly the subject in the photo submission.

Which takes precedence? I'm assuming it's the photo subject that should be considered the real submission, since that is what people will look for in the real world. Any links or support discussions on this?

When I come across something that has a mismatched title/location/photo (not abuse, obviously, just confusing combinations like above), I'd like to know which part should be edited so the POI makes sense.

Comments

• Zaltys-INGZaltys-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I'd try to take a new photo to match the title/description. Simply because photos are easy to add (and relatively easy to get removed), whereas the text is much harder to change.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

For example, a local church has a wayspot. The photo is of the church. The title is the church. But the location was placed out at the signpost, instead of the church building.

This is acceptable, but not always ideal. So placing the marker on the sign even though the nomination is the church isn't a mismatch. Generally, if you nominate the church, the Wayspot marker should be on the church building, preferably the front entrance. However, there will be cases where the sign would be a better choice do to accessibility. For example, a church that is behind a locked gate, but has the sign next to the gate. Christian Fellowship Worship Center is one such example.

The other day reviewing, I came across a mural photo submission. The title was for the business, the location was at the front of the building... but the mural from the photo was in the back of the building, and is clearly the subject in the photo submission.

I would probably reject that one for title/description not matching the photo. If the title, description, location, and photo don't match up, then it shouldn't be accepted.

• AlaynaFire-PGOAlaynaFire-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

Thanks for your insight, @TheFarix-PGO! On the mural review I moved the location to reflect real-world at the time, but next time I'll remember that. It's annoying sometimes when I see a nomination that SHOULD work, but the person submitting it messed up. 🤦‍♀️ Like... I'm trying to work with you here, get with the program. 😂

I didn't know that! Thanks, I'll focus on updating photos for my local spots. 🙌

• LFKomala-PGOLFKomala-PGO Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I have had instances where people would submit for example as 1 wayspot - 1 Playground and 1 Gazebo as 1 Wayspot. Upon getting the photo updated I was able to get its name updated to reflect just one of the 2 objects, And then submit another ingress portal there.

For when I review, if the Photo is a Playground, and the name is not anything to do with a playground it gets a 1* for name. If the location is on the back left side of the playground it gets a 5*.

Your Mural Example I would try to edit location in review if possible, then always try and update either the photo of the portal name/description or location to best represent the object.

In the case of the Church example from the @TheFarix-PGO I would try and get the wayspot photo changed to the sign that the wayspot was on top of, then update the name & description via wayfarer.

@LachlanF-ING Thanks for the tips. On the mural, I did move the location in my review, so that's good.

On my local church, I went to update the photo as some suggested, and it turns out that feature isn't available yet, and I already tried getting the name updated and it was rejected (frustrating because the location is clearly out on the signpost for anyone who looked during the edit review).

• LFKomala-PGOLFKomala-PGO Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I forget that Australia was one of the first to allow Pokémon Go to submit new photos. I forget it’s still in “beta”