Quick start guide / newb guide

Hello,

I play PGO (level 41) and recently joined the Wayfarer to suggest new Pokémon Stops etc. However the initial guidance offered about what is a good location whats not etc is woefull and there is nothing about how the entire wayfarer program works.

Can anyone point me to a Quick start/ Newb Guide or threads which contain such information? I have had a rumage through this form and can't find good answers to these questions what are accessible to a newb!

Specific questions

What's in upgrade why does it matter that an I'm 18% of the way there?

How do I find out why;

Nominations Accepted 6

Nominations Rejected 4

I assume these are reviews I have done not locations I have nominated as I have only nominated 2 locations and they are still "in queue"

How do I get feedback on why 4 of my reviews were rejected?

Dose my review history/ upgrade % have any bearing on the likelihood of my location nominations becoming pokestops?

What is the process from nomination to appearing on the in game map?

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right that this stuff isn't obvious at first.

When you earn upgrades you can apply them to your submissions to help them go through review a lot faster. It takes 100 agreements to earn one upgrade.

Nominations Accepted/Rejected/Duplicated is a count of the number of things you've reviewed where you agreed with the consensus of reviewers. It's not that four of your reviews were rejected, but rather it's that you voted to reject and the outcome of the review was to reject the submission.

You also have Total Nominations Reviewed, which is exactly what it sounds like.

Your review history/upgrades/upgrade percentage are entirely separate from the likelihood of your submissions being accepted.

I've included a screenshot of my current stats. I've reviewed 24638 total candidates. Of those, I've voted to approve the candidate and the consensus of reviewers was also to approve a total of 6486 times. The same for rejections and duplications. You'll note that the three agreement numbers on my profile add up to 16044, not 24638. The difference between those two numbers is the sum of two things: things you've reviewed where your vote differed from the consensus, and things that you've voted on that are still in review and haven't yet reached consensus.

(I didn't include the upgrade ticker, but it's currently 82/100)

• StepRam-PGOStepRam-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thank you so so much @Hosette-ING that makes a lot more sense. Context is everything!

Following up here;

I've attached a screen shot of my profile I've reviewed 69 now of which 7 + 4 + 0 have been in line with the consensus if I'm understanding your correctly?

The remaining 58 are either pending a consensus level being reached or I disagreed with the consensus? Is that correct? And there is no way to know how frequently I've 'got it wrong' or disagred with the consensus?

Is ther anyway of knowing, What is the overall effect of applying an upgrade to a way point suggestion in terms of likelyhood of acceptance and time to appear on the game maps?

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Applying an upgrade means your nomination will be sent out to more people, and it will be sent out nationwide as opposed to local reviewers. So, you will get an answer faster. However, multiple people believe that your chances of acceptance are actually lower because non locals don’t really know or care about your area and they tend to judge harshly. This is based on my experience and the experience of others. Bottom line, only use upgrades on “slam dunk” nominations such as playgrounds.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

Hello and welcome to Wayfarer!

You asked about overall time for the total nomination and review process for new Wayspots. It varies shockingly from one area to another. Some folks, typically those in more rural areas with few existing Wayspots, get their nominations turned around within a few days. Others, especially those in or near large cities, have to wait years.

Upgrades are a way for you to get your submission bumped to the head of the line for review. If you're one of those lucky folks who get nominations processed quickly through the regular queue, then upgrades may not be so important to you. If you're in an area where you have to wait many months or years for regular decisions, then upgrades may be the only way your nominations have the potential to be seen and accepted.

Your friendly local Discord is typically a good source of information on turnaround time for Wayspot submissions in your area.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StepRam-PGO There is no way of knowing how many times you disagreed because Niantic doesn't provide the data that we need for that (either number of disagreements or number of reviews pending resolution.) However, I'm a hardcore data nerd and three years in a row I've done some data analysis in order to estimate that. My methodology was basically to review a ton of stuff then quit reviewing and record my stats every day until I stopped getting new agreements.

Here are the full details for 2022. The TL;dr is this:

• In 2022, 50% of my reviews resolved in 13 days.
    • In 2022, 90% of my reviews resolved in 37 days.
    • In 2022, nearly all of my reviews resolved in 133 days.

Obviously there's some variation based on where you're reviewing.

Applying an upgrade will typically get your submission into review a LOT faster, although it depends on where you live. Often it's a matter of a few days rather than 6+ months. Some people think that applying an upgrade reduces your chances of approval but I have not experienced that... 100% of my submissions are upgraded and since May 2020 I've only had two rejected. One was marginal and not presented particularly well, and the other was in a country where I didn't speak the language but I Google translated the title and left the description in English. Presenting your submissions well and thinking about them from the perspective of a reviewer makes a huge difference in your acceptance rate.