Question about pedestrian access

29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you know how a wayspot can be eligible even if only select people can access the point? Well, what if only select people have safe pedestrian access? For example, toll booth workers could safe access that others do not. (I actually saw something recently in voting that made me think of this). It wasn’t a toll booth but I’m using that as an example.

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking for a black and white rule. It's all greys here.

I would decline a toll booth because it meets no criteria.

I would also decline a fenced off working rail yard, also for not meeting criteria. (Like the toll booth, it's also unsafe.)

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@29andCounting-PGO The rule is that someone has to have safe pedestrian access, not that everyone does.

For example, I live reasonably close to Pixar's headquarters. It has lots of really cool art scattered about, but it's also a gated campus and only employees and guests can get in. They are allowed to be wayspots because they're interesting artwork that meet Niantic's criteria.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was trying to be vague, but this was the nomination. A really cool Santa statue located at the ticket taker booth as you enter a theme park called Holiday World. Since only cars can drive through the entrance my initial thought was no pedestrian access. But then I thought, hey, the ticket taker stands there all day safely, so…maybe.

• DEMARTIN0-PGODEMARTIN0-PGO Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I think a traffic control tower at an airport would be an awesome waypoint but if it is interfering with the safety of everyone else that is involved with them doing their job like someone controlling the traffic entering a busy amusement park I would probably say that is a pretty big NO. I would not want to pull up to some booth with my fam in the car waiting in a long line of impatient excited families to pay for parking at Wally World with Clark Griswald hanging out the window laying on the horn behind me with some dude sitting in the booth controlling cars looking at his phone spinning pokestops not paying attention to what he is doing.

• DEMARTIN0-PGODEMARTIN0-PGO Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭

I take that back. That would be pretty awesome to see them behind me. Would turn into a great adventure.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

What criteria would the ticket taker booth meet? Do people get out to explore it? Meet there to socialize? Are they encouraged to get out of their car and run around the ticket booth?

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

Holiday World in Indiana? A fantastic place, with many eligible wayspots. I was there for the CoasterCon that was unfortunately cut short due to an enthusiast seeking more air that took off their seat belt, leading to a fatal ejection from Legend - but I remember the wonderful park operators and their distress at that terrible tragedy. If there's an eligible item at the entrance booth, I'd likely give it full marks - I've carted around those campgrounds many times and know that access is generally safe and family-friendly.