Star rating system in reviews

I am rather confused about the star rating system as I can't really find it clearly explained anywhere - maybe I just haven't located it.

Questions:

1 - does 1 star mean - unacceptable - does not meet criteria? Does 3 stars mean - can't decide so hedging my bets? Does 5 stars mean great?

2 - does a nomination need to have 3 - 5 stars for all criteria to be accepted in the review process e.g. a sign would appear to have no historical or cultural significance - it is more a directional and informational thing. So should a sign be given 1 star, 3 or 5? If only given 1 star, but the sign meets all other criteria does the review not pass nomination or does the review (using 1 star) get the reviewer a downgraded because others give it 3 or 5 stars? Same with a playground or piece or outdoor exercise equipment (next point also applies to these examples)

3 - what does Visually Unique really mean - a sculpture or piece of art is usually visually unique, but trail markers and geo-type signs set in footpaths (sorry can't remember the correct name) aren't visually unique as every one looks basically the same but contains at least some different information.

Looking forward to some clarification

Comments

• TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you will find this page helpful:

https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/help/reviewing-a-wayspot-nomination

1 - Rating Scale

You will be asked various questions about a nomination and answer by rating on a scale of one to five stars. In general, use the following guidelines when deciding how to vote:

If you strongly agree, choose 5 stars

If you are unsure or have no opinion, choose 3 stars

If the answer is definitely no, choose 1 star and select a rejection reason

So what you thought is correct.

2 - Historic or Cultural Significance

How much historical or cultural significance does the nomination hold within the community? A local library built 100 years ago is certainly more historically and culturally significant than exercise equipment in a park. Use your best judgement and rate the nomination accordingly.

Not very helpful. We have been told that this category and the next don't affect the decision. But some people, like me, prefer to play it safe and don't rate these lower than 3 stars.

3 - Visual Uniqueness

Does the nomination stand out from its surroundings? Wayspots that are easy to locate and visually distinct from the buildings and objects nearby make high-quality Wayspots and should be rated highly. If you think the nomination looks bland and will be hard to locate, give it a lower rating.

Visually unique means how easy would the object be to find when standing at the location. It doesn't really matter that identical objects exist that can't be seen from there. Does it blend into the background, or can multiple be seen from that location, making it hard to identify that specific one. That is what matters.

• SaysWhoNotYou-PGOSaysWhoNotYou-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November 2022

Thanks so much for this - makes it a whole lot clearer