Good Gazebo Nomination -- Rejected

Title of Wayspot: South Point Trail Gazebo

City: Berea, Ohio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings everyone,

I must say, I'm disappointed. There's a gazebo in my neighborhood that seems like a slam dunk approval. But it got rejected on my original nomination and also on my friend's original and appealed nomination. I'm worried my appeal will be shot down too.

This gazebo has benches and is designed for people to walk to and sit in! Even if someone looked at it and thought a person couldn't walk to it and touch it safely, the stop is very reachable from the safety of a nearby sidewalk.

I guess I have the advantage of being able to see it in person, but I'm still frustrated I can't get this into the game - ugh!

Sorry... Thank you for letting me vent!

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's in the middle of a roundabout with no safe crossing from the path, which is why it's been rejected.

• Hypno68-PGOHypno68-PGO Posts: 56 ✭✭

Yes, that's what the Niantic rejection said... but...

It's specifically designed to have people sit in it! (Benches!)

And, the Pokéstop I'd easy to reach from the nearby sidewalk. There are many Pokéstops that you don't need to walk up and be able to touch

To me, it seems like a slam dunk!

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pokémon has a very generous interaction radius. Other games/products that utilise the Lightship database don't necessarily have that luxury, or have features that require you to basically be on top of the Wayspot.

Niantic has these rules for safety and to protect them against potential legal action if something happens.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some time ago Niantic refused to remove a Wayspot that was in a three line rows without pedestrian access because it had some kind of benches.

This is located in a cul de sac in a neighborhood, there's no need to paint a anything on the road because they know that the location is safe for the people.

But this is Niantic, so there's no logic at all.

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

I get what you're saying, but please don't call it a Pokéstop, but rather a Wayspot. Just have to say that. 🙂 It also has to be accessible in Ingress and the other Niantic games (I don't know how they work though, I have only played Ingress and PoGo). But in Ingress, you have to be able to stand right on/by the object, which is why location and access is super important.

With this gazebo I can totally see it from your side, but also it does not meet the Niantic criteria for safe pedestrian access. The roundabout example is kinda like the example they give for poor pedestrian access, which is a really important rejection criteria.

Generally, location always has to be right at the nomination (with exceptions like larger athletic fields and other). The Wayfarer map has to reflect reality, not what you can "reach from the nearby sidwalk". This is just the way they intended this.

The gazebo looks very nice btw, and I can totally understand why it caught your eye. I hope you find some amazing new things to nominate so the frustration won't last too long. 🤞😊

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Are those informations signs, there by the yellow arrows you made pointing at the sidewalk? 👀 (Wow, this Wayfarer focus thing can't be turned off, can it? 😂)