How do you plan to stop the multi-account plague affecting Wayfarer?

On one of the main games, the players and the community do not care about multi-accounting even though it’s against TOS.

How do you plan to stop that affecting Wayfarer when someone with six accounts that have passed the Wayfarer test could then vote 5 times on something the sixth account nominated?

23 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Losifer026-INGLosifer026-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a similar one about this and it’s still awaiting approval because it contains some links from an abuser bragging about and posting video of their exploits, as well as screenshots, a lot of screenshots, to illustrate how bad it is in my area that include successful appeals, things awaiting appeal voting, and the things I intend to appeal over the next 3 years. Mostly murals, pavilions, pergolas, sports fields & fountains.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing to do would be to ban abusers' game accounts altogether.

Unfortunately, however, the current Wayfarer team does not have that authority, so the abuse will not stop.

If you want to tackle this from the system, you could use SMS authentication and then introduce login with Niantic ID.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

Seems this issue affects the forum as well seeing as a handful of posts all got about +20 votes within an hour last night while the others received only 1-2 in the same time span.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's too late, it could have been fixed 6 years ago but not now. I may be incorrect but I think it's generally not an Ingress thing to have more than one account? Maybe the Go community could have done the same if they'd wanted to which they didn't.

Certainly Nia could have made an attempt to fix it but it was put to the side.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,125 Ambassador

You’re right. In Ingress it’s treated much more harshly.

Your own faction will likely disown you and report you multiple times if you have more than one account.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a shiny collector, high IV hunter, raider, hoarder or gold gym geek so it's always looked a massive hassle to have 2 accounts tbh.

I guess they could find the very, very blatant multi accounts using WF but that would probably be just a drop in the ocean.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,125 Ambassador

Same. I’m pretty casual with Pokémon GO, so don’t see how or why you’d need another account but it’s socially acceptable in that space.

Come to a big Pokémon GO event with two or more accounts and you’ll be praised for helping with raids etc.

Come to an Ingress Anomaly and if suspected of having more than one account, you’ll probably be shunned or asked to leave the event.*

*I would imagine. Not been to one. I’ve heard rumours there will be one in Scotland next year so I’ll attend that.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

It would be better to leave out hints or direct comments about either game - it’s totally irrelevant - as this is meant to be ( I think) simply about manipulation of voting by having several eligible accounts no matter where from.

Edited version

On one of the main games, the players and the community do not care about multi-accounting even though it’s against TOS. 

How do you plan to stop that affecting Wayfarer when someone with six accounts that have passed the Wayfarer test could then vote 5 times on something the sixth account nominated?

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Niantic would have to actually give a f about multiple account (ab)users. They don't. When people are allowed to have multiple accounts in the Niantic games - yes, Ingress too - then of course they can use them in Wayfarer too.

It's just not a priority to them. Partly because "privacy of others" (let's protect the cheaters by all means!), partly because it would demand HUGE effort and resources to get all that deadweight filtered out.

That's how I imagine it anyway. The part about why Niantic are passive, I mean. The part about cheaters existing and cheating and abusing undisturbed is a fact.