Update to Wayfarer Criteria regarding Outdoor Basketball Courts - Discussion

NianticTintino-INGNianticTintino-ING Posts: 1,103 admin
edited December 2022 in General Discussion

Hello Explorers,

As you’re aware, the current Wayfarer criteria doesn’t allow Wayspots on K-12 school grounds. As part of our launch plan for NBA All-World, we will be making a limited exception to this policy to allow outdoor basketball courts on school grounds.

We’re excited to be expanding our global game board to include real-world basketball courts – it’s where players can go 1v1 and compete to become Ruler of the Court. Our goal is to have NBA All-World include as many courts as possible - both real-world and digital - because we think a diverse set of locations will enable the richest experience for our players. NBA All-World will feature real-world courts and also digital courts that we’ve designed based on other interesting real-world locations.

Note that outdoor courts are the only exception to this policy. Basketball courts inside a gymnasium or other school building will not be included. 

Outdoor basketball courts on school grounds may be nominated, categorized, and will be reviewed internally by Niantic. While we will will do our best to review them all internally, if you happen to come across an outdoor basketball court on school grounds in your reviews, you can 1) review it as you would any other eligible Wayspot nomination or 2) skip it if you're unsure how to review. If you’ve nominated an outdoor basketball court on school grounds in the past and they were rejected, you’re more than welcome to nominate those again and add the basketball category. Approved outdoor basketball courts on school ground Wayspots will only be added to the Map in NBA All-World. 

Check our the original post HERE

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on
Tagged:

Comments

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

So these are supposed to be pulled by Niantic, and anything that is in regular voting should continue to be rejected as K-12?

• packrattle-INGpackrattle-ING Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

When you say "Approved basketball court Wayspots will only be added to the Map in NBA All-World. " - does that mean all new basketball courts, or only new courts that are on k-12 grounds?

• Plantgems-PGOPlantgems-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

I am pretty sure they just mean approved K-12 ground basketball court will only appear in NBA.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Excuse me, but is there any gameplay snapshot on how the game would be? Why allow such courts on K-12 to be added only for one game?

Anyway I would stop Wayfaring if I meet at least 3 K-12 courts in a row while reviewing because of this.

• Aquablast64-PGOAquablast64-PGO Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, you will probably start to see a large amount of them being submitted.

Outdoor basketball courts may be nominated, categorized, and will be reviewed internally by Niantic.

Okay I've missed this part, but @NianticTintino-ING how would you guarantee the courts will be sent into Niantic review and not general reviewing queue?

Tags = "basketball court" -> Niantic voting?

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll have to only be active on weekends and holidays. (Niantic already has that code for parks.)

And use zoning maps to tell what's on school grounds, to pull noms off for review.

They could add the category selection to Ingress nominations - but I wouldn't trust nominators of any game to admit they're nominating on school grounds.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think each school is different. I think back to when my son was in high school. You could drive into the property and the sports fields were open to the public after school hours. But to get through the gates into the school itself you had to have an office pass. But we were also allowed in to watch concerts/plays, etc.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

In glasgow (and i assume scotland/uk) a lot of the school grounds basketball courts also double as soccer (feel sick calling it that name) pitches, so mugas, do we submit/accept these as well or do they need to be strictly basketball courts?

• holdthebeer-INGholdthebeer-ING Posts: 199 ✭✭✭✭

I assume we should *never accept* anything K-12, because the "special" nomination will be pulled by niantic reviewers, who will accept and make sure that "Approved basketball court Wayspots will only be added to the Map in NBA All-World". There is no way for us reviewers to do this magic. Unless Tintino wants to clarify this further.

As for "submit", depends on the school I guess. Don't want to trespass to take a photo etc.

Yes, and how would they going to do that? To filter these "special" nominations out into Niantic voting from general queue?

Considering it's Niantic, I think they didn't have any workable solutions yet while people are starting to nominate courts on K-12.

• FeThorn-INGFeThorn-ING Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

We're going to need a LOT more clarification on this one...

Do all basketball courts get excluded from Ingress & Pogo going forward, or just K-12 ones? If only K-12, how will that be determined?

Are these courts getting added solely by niantic, or are people allowed to submit them like normal?

If people are allowed to submit them, how are we supposed to review such submissions?

Will any action(s) be taken to try and reduce the inevitable flood of other types of nominations within K-12 school grounds?

And how does niantic plan to deal with the backlash from angry schools / parents about kids playing at school? As funny as I think that would be, such a move is almost certainly going to cause issues...

• jizza-INGjizza-ING Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

it is super creepy for adults to be on playgrounds, too. and still playgrounds are the easiest thing to nominate and get it approved.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,120 Ambassador

Sounds like a terrible idea, I doubt there’s many that are open to the public, and we will see stories about weirdos trespassing on school grounds.

However, it’s Niantic suggesting it and them reviewing it apparently so if they want to clog the system and game maps up with stuff they have to remove when they close NBA down in a year, it’s up to them I guess. 🤷

Most schools I'm aware of that have the mugas you can get to them without trespassing or at the very least can take a picture from the side (though that one is a bit more worrying tbh)

And when I say accept, I hadn't read the bit about naintic doing it, but even them, might slip through to us so that would be good to know as well

edited December 2022

This seems like the usual from tintino, this might come off as a bit many and it is to an extent. Don't talk for ages in the forums, pop up to do 1 or 2 things, then do something massively important with not a lot of explanation, then maybe answer a question or 2 a day later then silence again

Either way, I'll go gest it this weekend, I'll go submit the muga at a school near me, see if niantic review it, hopefully not get jailed lol

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,120 Ambassador

Also wanted to ask, currently the NBA All World import you did using Courts of the World, those Wayspots appear in that game and Pokémon GO but not Ingress.

Will these be removed from Pokémon GO/added to Ingress when the game globally launches?