Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Is this worth re nominating?

Hello again guys :)

I have a question. Would this be worth are submitting?

Short Street Haunted houses: (Maybe a changed title?)

Description:

Former pot bank workers houses (listed). Short Street is an officially designated conservation area. This scene has remained untouched for over 30 years, a true slice of Stoke on Trents past. It is also known as a hotbed of local paranormal history.

It was rejected based on “residential area” and “generic business”.

It is neither of those things.

The houses belong to the pottery works/pot bank behind and have been uninhabited for over 50 years. They have only Ever been lived in by workers of the pot bank and are also a well known local “haunted hotspot”. They are ranked in Staffordshires most haunted list and I think that is a cool back story. The area is also a conservation area.

So it seems to me that they are eligible and the reviewers pretty much saw the picture, couldn’t be bothered to read the info, marked them as residential (even though you can clearly see they aren’t) and went straight to 1*.

I even added a YouTube link by a local explorer to give more info on the back story.

I mean ok, if it’s not eligible In your eyes then fair enough, but please at least give the true reason and don’t just be lazy.

is it worth re nominating?

Best Answers

• SoulKing95-PGOSoulKing95-PGO Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Historical aspect would need official statement or listed in historycal register as Farix said, but it doesn't meant you shouldn't offer those aspect as well. Pull and offer stronger point on hidden gem/hyper local spot/tourist attraction aspect, because imo that's the closest criteria it could meet. You may also explain that's not a PRP or business. Good luck, but don't expect too much

Answer ✓

Well then you have strong point on historical since it's listed. Now is how to serve them the best way to make a good quality nomination

• Title: preferably use the same name as registered/listed
    • Description: I'm not good at descripting xD but you can put descriptive details from its strong point. Your previous desc is ok, perhaps could use better wording. I think people don't understand what "listed" meant, because I didn't too until you said "listed in Historic England"
    • Support: important explanation such as historical entry number, BBC tv, Staffordshires, etc. Based on previous rejection, you might need to add that it's not a generic business nor PRP.

Answers

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless they are listed on a historical register, they are not eligible.

• Lensington1-PGOLensington1-PGO Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Thank you... this is helpful.

I will try a better description next time and write better supporting information.

I know they look boring by themselves but they are indeed a hidden gem. It honestly feels like you stepped back in time when you round the corner and there is just this little stretch of cobbled alley with ancient/old time houses and they do have historical significance :)

How about the title of the nomination? Maybe I should focus on the history rather than the haunted house thing?

Answer ✓

Historical aspect would need official statement or listed in historycal register as Farix said, but it doesn't meant you shouldn't offer those aspect as well. Pull and offer stronger point on hidden gem/hyper local spot/tourist attraction aspect, because imo that's the closest criteria it could meet. You may also explain that's not a PRP or business. Good luck, but don't expect too much

edited June 2020

Thank you again.

They are listed at Historic England:

List entry number 1297907

Heritage category: listing

Grade ll

Location: 23, 25 and 27, Short Street, Non Civil Parish, LONGTON, STOKE ON TRENT, City of Stoke-on-Trent

Would this make a difference if it were in the description?

These cottages were also used in the BBC television adaptation of Arnold Bennett's book 'Clayhanger’.

I do understand that Visually it isn’t a strong nomination

Answer ✓

Well then you have strong point on historical since it's listed. Now is how to serve them the best way to make a good quality nomination

• Title: preferably use the same name as registered/listed
    • Description: I'm not good at descripting xD but you can put descriptive details from its strong point. Your previous desc is ok, perhaps could use better wording. I think people don't understand what "listed" meant, because I didn't too until you said "listed in Historic England"
    • Support: important explanation such as historical entry number, BBC tv, Staffordshires, etc. Based on previous rejection, you might need to add that it's not a generic business nor PRP.

Thank you very much SoulKing95 you have given me some very sound advice and helped me to understand how to make a better quality nomination.

Be that as it may... at least give the real reason and don’t be lazy when reviewing.

Anyway... I thought that things became potentially eligible if they had a legit cool back story, which these do and can be easily verified online. I did just find this extra info on them:

Maybe if I somehow got the bottle kiln in the picture too it might help? But the houses themselves have the history too.

Update if anyone is interested:

I nominated again and it got rejected again. I put all the information in the supporting comments about its listing details, a bit about its history and about its newspaper notoriety in regards to it being haunted. I also added the information about the cottages being used for the filming of a famous local authors screen play.

I don’t think I could have done it any better (I have learnt a lot about nominating here) and it still got rejected for being a “generic business” even though I did put in the supporting evidence that it isn’t a business. (Hell, that is probably why someone chose it as the rejection reason).

They also said that they couldn’t find a pathway leading up to it. The supporting photo shows it is in a cobbled alley/pathway and you can see it all on google maps.

I do understand that if a reviewer thinks it’s ineligible some just put any old reason, but it has left me feeling kind of flat/deflated as I really worked hard on this one as I 100% believe it is eligible. The place is absolutely steeped in local, potteries history.

I am not going to nominate it again despite knowing it is a true hidden gem. I don’t want to waste my nominations on rejections. Sorry if I sound a bit salty... I guess I am a little. I have had other rejections that haven’t bothered me one bit but this place...