Please stop sending me stops to review from other countries

2»

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's take Canada, for example Quebec, they mostly speak French. So if I nominate something in English, it won't be reviewed by most of the people that have set French as their language of choice.

But let's not forget that the system doesn't really know the language of the nomination, so it couldn't really state which reviewers should review that nomination.

Instead of language, it could be simpler to code it based on countries, as long as you're not dealing with disputed zones...

• KeineAhnung0001-PGOKeineAhnung0001-PGO Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited December 2022

My post disappeared so I will try again...

Language was the first thing that struck me, but any way of getting stops to reviewers from the area would be more than fine with me.

This is what a normal reviewing sessions looks like for me

edited December 2022

the comment disappears again and again...

Post edited by KeineAhnung0001-PGO on
    edited December 2022

it simply does not work... :(

edited December 2022
  • flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is simply no requirement that nominations be in the most common language of the area or country where the nomination is located. And while they frequently make questionable moves, I very much doubt that Niantic would go to the trouble of implementing such a discriminatory rule on the scale proposed here.

edited December 2022

You too are missing the point - it is not about the content (which may be written in whatever language used - or even consist of a complete nonsense combination of letters to the utmost possible extent), but a basic mapping of people new stops are allocated to, which could be done by tagging reviewer and stop locations - this would prevent Hungarian stops ending up in Austria the whole time, Austrian stops ending up in Slovenia, Slovenian stops ending up in Croatia etc - it would however not mean that a new stop from Austria, which would be distributed to reviewers from that country could not be in another language but German. It would rule out what is happening now though, that stops from all kind of different language zones are distributed to mostly other ones instead of their own.

• is there any way to succesfully insert an image here? whenver I try, it just does not post anything.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images goes through Niantic moderation before they can show up here. If you want to immediately insert the image, attach it as a file (use that clip button below).

• Thanks! I will wait for my previous post (showing a Campfire-map screenshot with markings for stops from all over different countries) to get cleared then.

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most importantly: a reviewer should *never* reject a nomination simply because they don't understand the language. The options are use a translation tool, skip the nomination (three per 24-hour period), or wait 20 minutes for the nomination to time out. Anyone who is rejecting because they don't speak the language should not be reviewing at all.

No one is missing the point. Wayspots can be in any language, as stated. A Hungarian cultural center or church in Germany could easily have its wayspot in Hungarian even though the location is Germany. And what about people living in Germany who speak border countries' languages or have connections to those countries? Perhaps they enjoy reviewing nominations beyond German borders or places they have quite possibly visited if they are so close to Germany.

Also, if you install a translation browser plug-in, it may be easier for you than copy and pasting into Google translate.

I'm not sure what you mean by "statement," but if you are referring to a comment when rejecting a nomination, the nominator never sees those comments. Niantic may look at them in some cases, but otherwise including a comment is pointless.

• Once more than 50% of your stops are in multiple different languages, it gets too cumbersome - that is the norm here and that is why I would love to get more precise stops to judge. Out of curiosity, how many do you get?

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I speak the languages in the countries bordering mine, so I am not a good example. However, even if I didn't know the languages, I personally would enjoy the opportunity to be exposed to different languages and see things in other countries. And with my translation plug-in, I could read descriptions in English with a single click.

You can disagree if you want, I merely gave suggestions to make it less cumbersome in the website as it is now (1. don't worry about leaving rejection comments and 2. use a translation plug-in). Even if Niantic did want to implement what you suggested, it would take time, while what I (and others) mentioned would help instantly.

And if you have been rejecting nominations for "unsuitable description" because you don't understand the language, then your decision to stop reviewing is the correct one.

edited December 2022

It is always easy to talk about something that does not really affect yourself - I will add a map screenshot (hopefully it works via the clip) with added dots for some of the stops to review in the last two days to give you an idea what we are dealing with here (bot exact locations, but a rough distribution of countries/stops).

This kind of unreflected distribution is really annoying and to be honest, I really doubt they could not fix it if they cared.

So in the end, why not ask the company running all of this to find a reasonable way to distribute stops instead of compensating for their inability to do so?

And to give you an example of something I would flag as unsuitable (as in description) and add that I don't understand the language is the second clip - I have no idea, which is the correct one, or if any is correct.

Now knowing that I can time out stops, I would do just that.

edited December 2022

edited December 2022

edited December 2022

edit: these were all duplicate image posts now allready covered above (it did indeed take hours to get them through, thanks again for the pointer)

• Yacatect-INGYacatect-ING Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

So in the end, why not ask the company running all of this to find a reasonable way to distribute stops instead of compensating for their inability to do so?

I think you're missing the point. The point is that the current system is, despite its many many flaws, supposed to take into account the overall goals of Wayfarer and the needs of the community. To a lot of players, the current system is a reasonable way to distribute stops, because it somewhat balances multiple competing goals: Trying to ensure a sufficient pool of voters, trying to ensure a reasonable chance of those voters having sufficient local knowledge, and trying to prevent vote manipulation and abuse. We agree that the system does sucks in many ways, but we just think this is a reasonable attempt to distribute the suck evenly.

Consider this: What you think is a reasonable solution (reducing the number of foreign-language stops voters encounter) might be an extremely unreasonable solution to a someone in a small region with too few reviewers to pass any of their nominations unless foreign players also chip in with the voting. And as others have pointed out, letting people limit who can see their nominations has the potential for abuse. Niantic is probably able to geofence nominations if they want to, but they're purposely trying to stop people from limiting their review queue.

To be clear, we're not making these points and suggestions just to defend Niantic or Wayfarer. If you take a look around the rest of the forum, you can see that a lot of us complain about Niantic and Wayfarer and their stupid policies all the time. Because Niantic DOES make a lot of stupid decisions, and they're infamously atrocious at communicating clearly with the players. They love making rules they don't enforce, they suck at announcing updates properly, they sometimes announce updates but never deliver, their email text is always wrong, and their own nomination reviews appear to be done by either a broken bot or someone blindly pushing buttons at random, also the review page itself still has a stupid bug that sends us down to the location map instead of starting from the top. There are a ton of good reasons to criticise Niantic, but most of us just don't think this specific issue is one of them.

edited December 2022

Thank you! That cleared up a few things for me! Much appreciated!

There are still those weird things to judge, which are more about grammar knowledge in a foreign language - having learned here that I can simply let them time out, I will resort to that from now on.

• Vboy99-PGOVboy99-PGO Posts: 65 ✭✭

That’s a pain point that I totally agree!

Language barrier is the main reason, as Google Translate sometimes unable to translate local slangs and short forms.

Then there’s the concern of the legitimacy of the nominations. It would be easier if proper explanations and informations are provided under Additional Informations.

Of course, if updated location on Google Map is able to reflect the nominations, it wouldn’t be a pain point to begin with.

Most importantly, I’ve discovered that there’re groups existed in another country, which tell its member to vote all ‘yes’ regardless of the Agreement Criteria. That’s the sure thing in bringing down own Wayfinder Rating.

Even if I managed to submit an Appeal for wrongly approved Wayspots, no consequences will ever happened to those Wayfarer. But my own rating will be forever affected.

Real pain point 🥲