Disparity of contribution distance between Ingress and Pokémon GO
There is currently a disparity regarding contributions of the two games:
- For Pokémon GO, all contributions (except submissions, which is 10km) can only be made within interaction range of the wayspot (i.e. no more than 80 metres). If one is outside said range, all contributions will be greyed out.
- For Ingress however, the ability to remotely contribute is possible, and the agent does not have to be anywhere within interaction range of the wayspot they want to contribute to, i.e:
- For nominations, it's 25km
- For location edits, it's 50km
- For title/description edits and photo additions, it's 100km, AND
- For invalid reports, it is infinite range. Yes, infinite. I can report something in Canada from my bed. It's this we're going to look into within this thread today.
Half a year ago, the topic of whether to actively heat-seek the removal of ineligible wayspots was brought up in the Wayspotters Podcast. However, this has been something way before that. Below are three situations where remote removals have occurred in particular.
1. The Mars Rover
In February 2021, a portal key to the Mars Rover was distributed via a passcode in Ingress. In that town was a fire station. Within a day, that fire station portal disappeared and it was noted in the Portal updater on Telegram.
2. Did you just send me a fire station as a gift in Pogo?
This is a reference to the discussion below. Long story short (in one variation or another) Person A in Australia saw a fire station from North Carolina, United States while reviewing, and used the Wayfarer app to report it. A similar congruent situation in which this point refers to is the paraphrased statement of "if you send me a fire station or a hospital or police station as a gift in PoGo, I am going to get the dynamic link in Ingress and report it for obstructing emergency services."
3. Nuketown (or the nuking of Newtown)
An Ingress agent from the other side of Australia has decided to report an abundance of portals 3,300km away from the other side of the country. Through the use of dynamic links via the Intel map or otherwise, the thread below was spawned and thus, a clash of ideals. To be honest, I've probably contributed maybe a fifth of wayspots throughout Marrickville, Newtown, Enmore and that area. Since Niantic has instead decided to fast-track its removals because of someone's silly PRP power trip, I argue that Niantic's Lightship database is severely handicapped by not featuring these spectacular artworks, and I would instead foster components of the State Control Survey as wayspots throughout the suburb instead. They can't be removed, right?
So the questions are as follows:
- Do Ingress agents, who have this additional remote privilege deserve to be observed as "holier-than-thou" for such? Are they really less prone to misuing their power?
- Should remote reporting even be a thing or potentially reduced? Should invalid wayspot reports via Ingress be imposed a distance limit of say, 100km?
- Or maybe Pokémon GO players should have their contribution limits evened up with Ingress. You know, meet in the middle with 25km radius.
- And just for the lulz, can you get rid of the 40 nomination slots that everyone gets just for passing the test? Not everyone deserves it off the bat.
I don't think anyone should have any ability to remotely report wayspots from the other side of the country, let alone the world.
P.S. I have attempted to report wayspots using the Wayfarer app numerous times. Either Niantic is continuing to auto-reject all my reports (even the deafeningly obvious duplicates) or it just doesn't work.
P.S.S. In the most recent episode of the Podcast, I declared 2023 as the year of coal. I really don't care about the quality of the wayspot database anymore. If you can't remove coal that is erroneously accepted as easily as fantastic wayspots that unfortunately meet a removal criterion, why do we even bother when you don't allow us to report things that did not meet any acceptance criteria in the first place and just leave them there for the masses to succumb to?
P.S.S.S. Submissions and contributions in the games will dié eventually when everything is moved to the Wayfarer app, but can you please fix it? Feels like nothing (edits or nominations) submitted via the app don't even flow downstream into Wayfarer or the map anymore.