Can we have some details about what happened regarding Danbocat’s departure?

It seemed quick and then we didn’t really get told about it, besides on their LinkedIn.

12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Why is that info important?

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Already she is not important at all.

Currently she cannot already know about Niantic.

• dustinyeeaah-PGOdustinyeeaah-PGO Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

She was apparently active/online on this forum in November 2022

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's harsh, she came across as a friendly and engaging person on the Wayspotter podcast. I thought her interview was telling and interesting especially things like

"It was up to us to supply the ingredients for the Wayfarer pantry and the individual games to use them as they chose."

Apologies if that's not the exact quote.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy New Year to you and your family.

I said Danbocat is already not important to Wayfarer because I think she is already left Niantic.

If she has not left Niantic and is still on the Wayfarer team then she is and will continue to be important.

However, if she has already left Niantic or is not on the Wayfarer team, then her position is the same as ours.

I don’t know what you want from her based on your understanding of her current position.

I will support Dambocat if she wants to be involved with Niantic and Wayfarer in the same capacity as we are, but I will not ask her to contribute to Niantic or Wayfarer.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

You too :)

I still though it was interesting to hear from someone who has worked for Niantic and I'm sure she held back, quite rightly, on lots of things too. I don't think her position is quite the same as ours, she most definitely has a lot more knowledge and insight than I.

I don't particularly want anything, unless she nicked some of those cool t-shirts before she left. I'll have one of those.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador
    edited January 2023

Here is my interest in this.

This is titled as the wayfarer community forum. For me that community includes a wide range of people both those from the the games whether they submit, review, do both or are considering doing so. It also includes paid staff from Niantic. This should enable better understanding of problems , issues, what is working well what is not.

Although the players are in the huge majority we rely on those with access to resources to make our experience a good one. There are regular posts that one way or another express frustration at the system.

It is my view that the more insight we have into that, the better our understanding will be. This would enable me to feel empathy with those I might otherwise feel annoyed about eg over a lack of inaction.

While she was here DanBocat or Danbi Lee contributed and came across as engaged with wayfinders. She was a conduit as to where wayfarer is going and what our experience is like.

To me it came across as rude and disrespectful to the whole community that there was no acknowledgement of her departure and the impact it would have here. It didn’t need to be detailed but it could have acknowledged that we needed that conduit to be maintained. I know this might not be how corporate IT in the US works but there is an unusual relationship here between a large business and a volunteer community of practice.

The void that it has left has meant this forum has felt very rudderless.

The question was asked under ask me anything so that’s what @PkmnTrainerJ-ING did.

I look forward to “meeting” the new person who will taking wayfarer forward.

Post edited by Elijustrying-ING on
  • Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the explanation (since I was the one who, in all honesty, did not understand why that question about their departure was relevant). I guess I just use the forum differently. I see some are very connected to the forum, each other and the Niantic staff here. Frankly, I don't know who's who and I have no idea how to find out - or no intention either. Not meant in a rude way at all, I'd just rather use the time and energy I have for Niantic Wayfarer out there in the "fields", exploring. But again, thanks for the elaborate answer.