The Fruit Stand

I’ve been mulling over whether this is a good nomination worth resubmitting.

The location is a place named “The Fruit Stand,” a small produce store that operates out of a suite in an industrial park. It’s been around since 1986 and sells local seasonal produce, as well as honey, herbs, peanut butter, coffee, dried fruit, firewood, and various other local products. It’s a cool place that really stands out in a sea of bland office buildings, and I think it qualifies as a hidden gem worth exploring.

It also has an interesting display of vintage produce labels. Since it’s hard to get retail stores accepted, and the signage for the market itself is really understated and generic, I tried to use the display of signs as an anchor point. I probably ended up blurring whether the nomination is for the market or the art, which is fair, because I’m not sure which is a better nomination.

The market doesn’t have a website, but it does have an Instagram and gushing reviews on Google, etc.

The rejection reason was, beside “Other,” “Temporary or Seasonal Display.” So I would definitely emphasize it’s longevity in the community if I resubmit.

Do you think either the label display or the store itself is a good POI, and if so, how would you sell it?

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

As I read the descriptions I was confused as to what you were nominating, so I think you are right that a lack of clarity contributed to its demise.

It sounds as though either would be tricky. The photo of the labels does look interesting but it also looks as though it would change - hence temporary is cropping up as a rejection reason.

on balance you might do better with the business if you can put together a good write up that explains how unique it is. If you are thinking it meets exploration as a reason, then think why would someone want to go there. Is there any social angle in going there.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I think the business itself - which, granted, also seems like a tough sell - stands a better chance than that wall of what appear to be framed signs/pictures. The descriptions of the stand’s longevity and uniqueness are the more compelling parts of this thread, at least.

I think you could offer your reviewers this supporting link from a local blog to get the idea.

They also have 4 1/2 stars on 115 reviews on Yelp, which is pretty good considering they have very little internet presence overall. That said, it is a shame that in 36 years they have never cared enough to decorate the exterior of their business in any way whatsoever. A nice mural of fresh fruit on the exterior wall would be a slam dunk.

• Janetx68-PGOJanetx68-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments and finding that link!