Should a water tower and a government office be accepted?

I am not very sure about these two. I see water towers all the time; I even see them as a silhouette in the art that appears when you tap on nominate in Pokemon Go, but is it a valid nomination? Also, what about government offices? Lastly, should shops inside a mall be accepted? Some of the places I mentioned are 50/50 in the criteria, so I need clarification. Thank you very much.

Comments

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Water towers were one of the very first things accepted under the category of unique architecture. I think they still qualify. I think it depends what type of government office you are talking about. Shops inside a mall CAN qualify, but they still have to meet criteria. What shops are you talking about?

• ScrawnyMeowth1-PGOScrawnyMeowth1-PGO Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭

You have to show why they meet the criteria as a good place to explore, exercise, or socialize.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Water towers are iconic structures, often included on town seals and t-shirts, or at least in directions on how to get around the town.

Business offices, generally no - even if it's government office workers. You don't take a visitor from out-of-town to see an office building. It's not in a guide book. IOW it's not there to explore, socalize, or exercise.

Most shops no, they're there to sell things, and meet no criteria. But an arcade or indoor mini-golf could be good as a place for gathering or exercise. Murals and fountains are a fun way to explore a mall.

Remember "It exists" is not an acceptance criteria. Even if it's really there!

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

Government offices can indeed be eligible if they hold regular public meetings there, I think: town halls, planning offices and the like. The burden is on the submitter in each case, of course, to show how each nomination meets the exercise, explore, or social criteria.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some water towers are iconic structures. Others are pretty mundane.

Niantic used to have a special rule for water towers that safe pedestrian access required them to not be fenced off... an ordinary person had to be able to walk up to the tower and touch it. I don't know if that's still true.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Water tanks (cylinders taller than diameter) and cisterns (cylinders with height less than diameter) - generally no. If they have art on them - submit the art.

Water towers (on legs) - genenerally yes. Can submit the tower itself even if no art on it.

(Trivia: towers and tanks provide storage and water pressure; cisterns are just for storage.)

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭

The courthouse is important for public law and order, the city hall is vital to the basic running of town, voting, and function. On the other hand something like the DMV is just a basic office for bureaucracy.

Water towers are iconic architecture but they do need to be accessible to pedestrians. So no to a water tower in a big fence or industrial area.

Just like in any other area things including stores inside a mall can be eligible. They do still need to explain why the store meets criteria though.