Portal (only) at the entrance to a (psychiatric) Arkansas State Hospital eligible?

I have not been to this area on foot recently. We have atypical snow today and decided to ask.

Is a Portal at the front of psychiatric hospital allowed? Some people there are court ordered to be there or have no money because of TBI. I know of one person there. I understand a regular hospital can be okay as long as the nominations meet criteria. I do not know about this situation. My guess is attempting to defeat the PvE Portal would cause the staff to ask me to leave. These screenshots might help. The entrance and Arkansas State Hospital are to the south. Visitors have a specific parking lot closer to W Markham St during the allotted time that visits are allowed. [I know OpenStreetMap.]

Comments

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you want to go there?

If you do why do you want to play a game on a place where people are ill and getting care?

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

People ordered there by the court often arrive in a police car or ambulance. Same for transport to/from a hearing.

It sounds like a terrible place to hang out. I'd say it disrupts emergency services.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that just because you are not welcome there does not make it ineligible. Employees of the facility could legitimately play there. Public access is not a criterion.

Since it is already a POI, I don’t think it will get removed unless an official from the facility complains to Niantic. You could report it for blocking emergency services, but Niantic actions on removal reports are inconsistent and unpredictable.

• Andrew0095-INGAndrew0095-ING Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

@The26thDoctor-PGO, no, I only wondered because of the location.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries. It's not somewhere that I'd want to go to play a mobile game tbh.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

If the portal does not block the emergency services (and is not at a school for children*) then it should be okay there. If a portal has safe pedestrian access, it should not matter if even only one person can access it safely, because a Wayspot not being accessible to the general public at large is not a reason for rejection or removal. For example, the Wayspot at the local police training college near me: it's a sport pitch which the general public do not get to use (and is not at a school for children), but it is still a place where people meet and get exercise regardless, and being a sports pitch in a field, it obviously does not block the emergency services.

The key take away should be: just because there is a Wayspot at a place, it does not mean every player is entitled to use it (because they may not be allowed in said area); the Wayspot only has to be safe to use for those who are legally able to access the given area.

*Some people argue about the validity of military bases for Wayspots too, but that's a discussion that I do not want to get into.

• Andrew0095-INGAndrew0095-ING Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

@AScarletSabre-PGO,

My issue is with the Portal in Ingress. Since Niantic (assumption) introduced Machina (PvE or People vs artificially generated resonators) to Ingress is where my issue arrises. If somebody from either faction played there, I have no issue with the Portal existing. If a Portal exists that is unable to be neutralized is my issue. Machina spreads daily to other Portals and gains strength. That is the issue. A web of interlocked Portals controlled by no human is not what we desire.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,606 Ambassador
    edited February 2023

Niantic has said multiple times that Wayspots should be divorced from how the games use them. In PGO, it stinks to have gyms behind gates where most people can't get to them. That makes them really only accessible to spoofers (cheaters) but the standard is that not all wayspots have to be accessible to everyone, regardless of how the games use them. As someone who works in healthcare, I can tell you that I love having wayspots available to me as an employee, to patients who are able to use gaming in their therapy and to family members who need something to do while waiting on their loved ones.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

This falls into the "Location Sensitive" rejection reason. Same with social services locations (free food pantries, unemployment offices, etc). A mental hospital is much different from a gated neighborhood.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

The POI already exists though; “location sensitive” does not meet removal criteria.