Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Parking Lot Basketball to the Extreme?

Howdy,

Hoping I can get some official guidance on this one. Came across a review for a basketball court in a church parking lot. I've seen a lot of these, and I'll typically pass them if I'm pretty confident there's no school or daycare there as well.

In this case, however, the basketball hoops are in the middle of a parking lot; see attached (which is unfortunately the only screenshot I took).

Some folks whose opinions I trust think this should be rejected on the basis of safe pedestrian access. However, there's pedestrians in parking lots all the time, and clearly the church intends for basketball to be played there... what do we think?

Answers

• Aredyl-PGOAredyl-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

To me this is ineligible: I see a parking lot with 2 basketball hoops.

First, I see 2 basketball hoops set up in the middle of a parking lot. Since the primary function of this area is parking, it would be difficult to label this as an "Athletic Field"

Second, the court itself is incomplete. It lacks the characteristics of a regular basketball court: Sidelines, Endlines, Half Court line, Free Throw Lines, Three Point Line. It's hard to define this as an "Athletic Field" with so much missing.

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure which bright spark decided that putting basketball hoops in the middle of a carpark is a good idea, but I just checked it out on street view and it seems like quite a few cars use that carpark. If it was me I'd rate it low on pedestrian access as well, because it's one thing to walk in a carpark, and it's another thing to run around after a ball in a carpark.

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tricky one - it maybe that it's only used for parking on certain occasions and is used for basketball when closed as a carpark - a dual use space.

• Spakulator-PGOSpakulator-PGO Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

I could be wrong but if they are at a church I'm going to guess the majority of the weekdays this is an empty lot - thus why the church decided to put hoops there. I still don't think I'd rate this one very high just because it lacks the markings for a court, and at least one or two days a week prob not safe pedestrian access.

• Antibulous-INGAntibulous-ING Posts: 6 ✭✭

While I agree that it isn't solely an athletic field, it is certainly a multi-purpose element. During church, the space is needed for parking, but that wouldn't limit to church members/community members coming to the parking lot to play pickup games and athletic games outside of the high-volume traffic. On the street, I would be concerned, but the church clearly had enough interest and function for putting this as a part of their church community.

• ptWildcat-INGptWildcat-ING Posts: 8 ✭✭

I appreciate everyone's comments and thoughtful insight... but it sounds to me like there is ongoing disagreement. Such is why I'd love some official NIA guidance?

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see the official answer to this. Theres a very similar court in my town, at a church, but it's on the edge of the parking lot and only one hoop. I haven't tried submitting it because there are no lines painted for the court. But if they say its eligible, then why not?

• ptWildcat-INGptWildcat-ING Posts: 8 ✭✭

Is there some guidance somewhere that indicates lines for the court are necessary? I've gotten a few similar to that which you describe through myself, no lines...