Beauty salon

Is a beauty salon an invalid Wayspot? I have made a contribution and it was rejected

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

I personally dont think it should eligible. A Beauty saloon doesnt Support Exploration, nor exercise. The "social" aspect is debateble. However, I dont think it stands Out enough to make it eligible.

• PaulingZubat-PGOPaulingZubat-PGO Posts: 604 Ambassador

Is this image third-party? The "paxina...es" seems to not line up with the orientation of the walls.

Beauty salons are not invalid but salons and businesses are also not inherently eligible. It will be up to how the business' reception with the community (social events, community engagement, uniqueness, etc.) does and how you present it. The former has to exist first before you can proceed with the latter.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is definitely a third party image, and the watermark gives it away.

Also, a typical hair salon is not going to meet criteria. It would need a really good supporting section to tell a special story about that location to bring it up to the level of acceptance.

• Requiario-PGORequiario-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

This is not the picture I used. Anyway, I see it's not a valid wayspot. Although I don't see a difference between a beauty saloon and restaurants, hotels, pubs, shops, etc. that I see everywhere. Someone should work for Niantic on this field.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off, it's best not to give too much weight to already-accepted wayspots. Existing wayspots may have been accepted under an older set of rules or accepted incorrectly, or there may be additional context provided in the supporting information that would only have been seen by the reviewers. To comment on your other examples, though...

Restaurants and pubs: most of them are specifically made for gathering in groups, making them potential candidates for the "great place to be social" acceptance criteria. They could also meet the "great place to explore" criteria for being particularly interesting as, for instance, a tourist destination. Still, a good explanation of how the specific restaurant or pub meets the acceptance criteria will usually be needed to make such a place much more likely to be accepted.

Hotels and shops: could potentially meet the criteria for a "great place to explore" due to being particularly interesting (historical, unique, touristy, etc.), but most won't. There is nothing about being a hotel or shop that makes a place inherently meet the acceptance criteria, so again, a good explanation will be needed.

In many ways, a beauty salon is indeed like the above. There is nothing inherent about all beauty salons that means that all beauty salons meet the acceptance criteria. But if you can demonstrate that this particular one meets at least one of the acceptance criteria, it could have a chance if the reviewers agree with you.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

One last comment, if you were referring to the "What is it?" list as a list of things that meet the criteria, it is not. It is just a list of things that exist in the world. It is not meant to be a list of things that are good submissions. Indeed, people often point out that things that are pretty much categorically ineligible (such as "elementary school") are on the list.

• Tabletsusb2-PGOTabletsusb2-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭
  • Leedle95-PGOLeedle95-PGO Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@flatmatt-PGO seems to be offering some straightforward advice based on a fairly common understanding of eligibility criteria in an informative way.