Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Issue: Invalid wayspot location edits during wayspot approval

phthoruth-INGphthoruth-ING Posts: 36 ✭✭

A fairly common issue with my wayspots has been the reviewer approved the wayspot, but moves the location to an incorrect location and then the wayspot often does not go live because it was moved to where a different wayspot already exists.

I would prefer the reviewer reject a wayspot (Mismatch Location) than move it, so could the location edit be removed?

I can provide a list of wayspots that are approved in incorrect locations. (gps coordinated?) So far, my attempts to do location edits in wayfarer app have been unsuccessful, but it would be better if this stopped happening in the future. Most players wont see the existing wayspots (elsewhere) and resubmit the wayspots and get rejected due to duplicate.

This location location edit feature by reviewers can be used maliciously to move wayspots and make them unavailable, and if a user is doing this repeatedly it would be good for their rating to be reflected.

2 votes

Working as Intended · Last Updated

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feel free to post examples of nominations you feel were incorrectly moved.

It should take several reviewers to move the pin though, so either several people are collaborating maliciously, or several people are looking and genuinely seeing that your nomination isn't in the correct place. By posting examples, maybe we can help you figure it out.

• phthoruth-INGphthoruth-ING Posts: 36 ✭✭

Here are 3 recent 'approvals' that were moved to wrong location

1. Treasure Island map mural

gps coordinate 37.4073, -122.0147

submitted cordinates (37.407150 , -122014854)

It is located in the south west corner of the building but was moved by the reviewer to the north west corner

The secondary photo includes a map showing where it is with the mural in the background.

supporting description in the submission

50' long mural on the Southwest corner of Google Humboldt 2 building. This art is next to the wall of wheels. Outside the s'witch cafe on the 1st floor. see photo for map

2. Skyport Pergola

gps coordinate 37.3649, -121.9155

submitted coordinates (37.364734 , -121.915847)

The pergola submitted is west of the 'central goblet' fountain but was moved by the reviewer to the east side of the fountain. There is infact a 2nd pergola on that side of the fountain, but it is not the one I submitted, since it is too close to the fountain to go live. The 2nd photo in the submission shows the pergola with the fountain and buildings in the background to establish that it is west of the fountain. The pergolas are new and there are palm tree's obscuring the satellite view

3. Ponderosa Bocce Ball Court

gps coordinate 37.3623, -122.0065

submitted coordinates (37.362422 , -122.006790)

There is a horseshoe pit beside it, but the Bocce Ball pit is 29 meters long, so they could co-exist. But the reviewer moved the bocce wayspot on top of the horseshoe pit wayspot. They are visible in the googlemaps/satellite view.

Its very hard to get wayspots editted, and this happens on a regular basis, so I would prefer Niantic remove the reviewer ability to edit, and have them just reject wayspots they can't confirm location.

• Hi @phthoruth-ING! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will have our dedicated team review the reported Wayspots and get back to you with more details.

Best,

• Hey @phthoruth-ING, we reviewed your reported submissions and based on the content of the nomination, the reviewers suggested the location. We suggest zooming in and checking the location in the nomination map of the Wayspot before submitting further nominations.

Best,

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't confirm anything on the indoor mural but it sure looks like you have been intentionally misplacing pins so that waypoints show up in ingress.

Thanks for confirming that the reviewers moved the locations of the nominations.

Re zoom in.

I do that with ingress. The issue isn't where my nomination and the actual way spot is.

What is the best way to prove location? I can submit evidence for the examples to prove location.

My goal here is not to edit the example wayspots, it is to show a pattern of reviewers changing wayspots to incorrect locations during reviews, and then find a long term solution.

If you "can't confirm anything", based on the supporting evidence and online resources, you, the reviewer, should reject the wayspot.

The onus is on me to prove the location.

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you pin something nearby and I can find the likely intended location of the object they I will move it in review because I'll assume you made the simple mistake of starting the submission process and so dropping the pin where you were standing when taking pictures and not actually at the object. These kind of corrections should be allowed. It is hard to see the screen in bright sunlight while making a nomination. You seem to be complaining that people didn't just accept or reject your pinned location allowing you to try again, which if the data you provided is true then their correct locations could never show up in game. It looks like the bonce ball court was duplicated to the horseshoe court considering they are right next to each other and the main picture on the waypoint shows them both. But either way there was not room for both to show in ingress without abuse considering other nearby waypoints. In fact the many of waypoints in the park with that horseshoe pit appear to be slightly misplaced to avoid ingress spacing rules, which is considered abuse. Including your volleyball court. It is also impossible to correctly place either of those pergolas and still have them show up in ingress. It seems there has been an ongoing and long term habit of people in your area misplacing waypoints so they will show up in certain games. You might want to clean that up using the help chat if you want other things to legitimately get in.

I had 3 more 'approvals' moved. An example of this was a playground, which wayfarer 'featured'

Its a large playground with 3 sections... left, center and right sections. I submitted from the left section. The reviewer moved it to the center section, which already has a pergola wayspot. My location was valid, as is the location the reviewer moved it to, but it wont go live, and moving forward, players will likely try submitting the wayspot again, since it does not appear live in any of the games, and now get 'duplicate' rejections.

I dont see a way to fix this?

We still dont have a good solution to this issue?

A portal gets approved, but the reviewer moves it to an invalid position and approves it.

Its mainly a concern when the reviewer moves it to the location close to a different portal, so it can't go live. After that, agents see a portal candidate, far from any other portals and submit it, not knowing that it is already wayspot in a different location. Their submissions get rejected as duplicate, and the way spot accumulates a bunch of photos.

Sometimes the reviewer moves it to a location that allows the portal to go live, when it should not have, because it was too close to an existing portal. Thanks?

In the last year, 2 of the location edits have gone thru. But its a slow process that rarely works.

I suggest removing the 'suggest a new location'; If the evidence for location is not good enough, reject the portal.