Submitter claims Niantic has declared individual disc golf holes eligible

cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this to review today and reported it to help chat. But there is no rejection reason I can select for telling a blatant lie in the supporting statement.

The last official word on this subject was Giffard's answer to me here that they are not eligible, but would not be removed: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/158395/#Comment_158395

Having phone game players meander through a disc golf course interferes with the disc golf players, and disc golf players tell me those heavy flying discs are dangerous for phone game players. Please come out with an actual official policy on these.

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

@cyndiepooh-ING i feel your pain and admire you sticking with this.

Hope you get a response that is supportive.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anything that you and your fellow ambassadors can do to help get situations like this resolved?

I've also had a couple of wayspots appear in my area where the submitters have blatantly lied to the reviewers (I actually know one of the submitters and he literally told me he submitted it for s**ts and giggles), and despite the fact the lies should've been very easy to spot and the nominations should've been very easy to reject, their wayspots have still somehow been approved and are now live despite not meeting any of the eligibility criteria. They're not disc golf holes in my case (they're arguably worse, as a disc golf course is a place to be social and exercise at least, though I agree with the one wayspot per course rule, rather than individual holes). Of course, they don't meet removal criteria, so I can't get them removed (maybe that needs reviewing), but at the very minimum the submitters need to be punished for abusing the system by blatantly lying, and ideally the reviewers who accepted them should also be educated.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

It is deeply annoying when you get statements that are wrong presented as fact whether that is deliberate or through ignorance, especially if you get something rejected where you provide proper links to confirm etc.

The other aspect of this, what should be done about the spots created bBy misinformation.

and how to convey the outcome to the reviewers in a way that they will engage and doesn’t leave them confused.

Its something I will put in the issues pile.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,607 Ambassador

I know this is frustrating but I see this as a "you get what you pay for situation."

Niantic made the decision to crowdsource this process. Some humans will always work counter to the objectives in order to fulfill their own needs.

If Niantic wanted to invest money and other resources into a better AI filter, they might be able to get a better handle on it. But since I am not on the development team, nor in development, I don't know what is currently being done to filter submissions nor what solutions are still out there to attempt. I believe there has to be some kind of filtering at work because no X-rated photos make it through to the reviewers. (I'm told this wasn't always the case.) But how you increase filters to catch ineligible submissions is not clear to me and makes me nervous that there would be too many false positives. Certainly, if any kind of filter like that were applied, the submitter would have to receive some kind of response to know that their submission was kicked completely out of the reviewing queue so they aren't waiting around for years for it to be voted on.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow y'all have gone to the deeper issue of what to do about lies in the supporting statement. I was just hoping, once again, for an official statement that individual disc golf holes are not eligible, placed somewhere that the average reviewer would know this is the criteria.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Help chat answer:

Hello Explorer,

Thanks for reaching out.

We took another look at the Wayspot in question and decided that it does not meet our criteria for removal at this time.

Thanks for helping us maintain the quality of the Wayspots.

Best Regards,

So making up criteria is no reason to pull a nomination from review.