PLEASE keep nomination location and map view!

Babarushki-PGOBabarushki-PGO Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in General Discussion

I’m piggybacking on 7BatistaSama’s post describing the problems reviewing nominations with no location and without a map.

Turning the map to “satellite” is useless, so please don’t suggest this.

WHY did anyone think that removing location was an improvement to the nomination process? My job as a reviewer is now more difficult as I try to figure out where in the world this playground, Trail marker, or site is.

I’ve been away from reviewing for a few months. Seeing the unhelpful changes made during that time convinced me to stay away longer or for good.

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, losing the address is surprisingly painful but I'm not sure what you mean by "without a map." Can you clarify?

Pro tip: Dropping street view guy onto the map tells you where in the world the thing is, approximately, although it depends on how close street view is to the object.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's going to take some getting use to, but I can see why they combined duplicate and location maps together instead of making them separate. I much prefer to start with the overhead map view first and then choose which streetviews to look at. My only wish is that we start with the satellite map first instead of the street map. Duplicates are much easier to spot that way.

@TheFarix-PGO I've pretty much gotten used to it. One of the benefits: In the previous version we couldn't click on the dots in satellite view to identify duplicates. It's a bit buggy but now we can.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m starting to guess that maybe they did it to prevent reviewers from automatically rejecting all nominations from a certain area. Of course, it’s still possible but it takes more work, so it may cut down on this behavior.

Someone earlier this month raised a huge sink about people posting "submission coal" to r/NianticWayfarer and other public forums, claiming that doing so was a violation of the privacy policy. They were specifically aggressive at targeting me specifically although I rarely post nominations.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Because I think you give up your rights to the photo by submitting it to Niantic.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,606 Ambassador

When posting coal in public spaces, I do try to mask the street address if it seems obvious that the submitter was a kid just randomly trying to submit something at their house. I have less sympathy for submissions that seem like they are from adults doing the same. I admit that it's not always possible to tell the difference - I use my best judgment based on their grammar and spelling.

• PawnInGame-PGOPawnInGame-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Honestly, if I don't have a street view to click on to verify that it's in the correct location, or an address to highlight/search easily, I'm just not going to review. I'm not going to waste even more of my time doing Niantic's work for free.

They weren't making a copyright argument. The individual was making a privacy complaint because the street address was exposed.

Streetview is notoriously off on location accuracy. The only reason to really need Streetview is to verify the existence or potential existence of something that is on a wall or under a canopy. Otherwise, use satellite imagery to determine accuracy. But you can still access Streetview by dragging the "little man" onto the map. And you NEVER need to know the street address of a nomination.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,606 Ambassador

I disagree that you never need to knownthe street address. If the POI is on or in a business, having the street address provides a second way to confirm that business is there. Like, a mural inside a Firehouse Subs. If the street address is half a block away from the address the Firehouse lists on their website, then it's probably mislocated.

@TheFarix-PGO I never NEED to know the street address but it's often useful... especially knowing what city it's in. Past experience has taught me that there are a few cities in my area where I need to vet more aggressively because of an explosion of fakes and it's nice to know if I'm looking at one of those areas when I start a review.

@SeaprincessHNB-PGO I post a lot of coal to public spaces, but if it's a private residence I am pretty neurotic about masking the address. The tool I use for screenshots has pens built in and it only takes me a few seconds to scribble over any identifying information before I post it. I no longer do it for things that are generically residential like apartment complex signs.