Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Unsuitable grave nominations?

Answers

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gabriel0322-PGO is that an American thing? Never seen it around where I'm at.

edited March 2020

Crazy.

Still don't see what that has to do with grave nominations. Or Memorials in graveyards.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Casey previously said notoriety gives people credit to be eligible in graveyard submissions.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031689/uploads/userpics/481/n7PGI2BIUL8DX.png

NianticCasey Niantic › admin February 27

I have to agree with @AgentB0ss on this one. For mausoleums, they would follow the same criteria as other gravestones/headstones/etc. in that it should be either architecturally or artistically unique OR be for a notable individual, family, group of people, etc.

When it comes to the "groups" clarification, this is in reference to memorials or monuments in that they're often dedicated to groups of people (i.e. WWII veterans, victims of 9/11, etc.) rather than one specific person or family. [Casey's Family Mausoleum] wouldn't be eligible unless Casey was a person of local notoriety.

Just because it's a mausoleum doesn't mean it's eligible unless there's something there to set it apart as being unique and relevant to your community. Hope that helps!

Veteran Memorial Plagues.

Notoriety - check

No Human Remains - check

They should be eligible wayspots as memorial plagues.

That's just the same thing you quoted earlier though, with you saying it applied to individual people, even when it's wording states memorials for multiple people. This is just going in circles now.

I have to agree with @AgentB0ss on this one. For mausoleums, they would follow the same criteria as other gravestones/headstones/etc. in that it should be either architecturally or artistically unique OR be for a notable individual, family, group of people, etc.

When it comes to the "groups" clarification, this is in reference to memorials or monuments in that they're often dedicated to groups of people (i.e. WWII veterans, victims of 9/11, etc.) rather than one specific person or family. [Casey's Family Mausoleum] wouldn't be eligible unless Casey was a person of local notoriety.

Just because it's a mausoleum doesn't mean it's eligible unless there's something there to set it apart as being unique and relevant to your community. Hope that helps!

Did this answer the question? Yes · No

"[Casey's Family Mausoleum] wouldn't be eligible unless Casey was a person of local notoriety." Having local notoriety makes them eligible. Veterans have notoriety proven in the above.

Example of the Veteran Memorial Plaques.

First Criteria.

Cemeteries, Burial Grounds, and Gravestones

Avoid nominations whose real-world locations appear to be cemeteries, burial grounds, or gravestones. Gravestones may be accepted, but only if the gravestone is publicly accessible and it belongs to a historical figure or significant community figure.

Eligible:

This gravestone belongs to a prominent cultural and historical figure, is publicly accessible, and is a popular tourist destination.

Okay. So we pretty much saw this conversation in Ingress under the Mausoleums topic. A Friar meets criteria for a portal. Casey's response 2 weeks ago was notoriety matters. A Priest, A Friar, A Politician, A Celebrity, And a person who has died or took part in a historical event 50 years ago are eligible per criteria. Below is the criteria from Help section. As well as a response from Casey 2 weeks ago.

First Criteria describing what to accept. From the Potentially Confusing Nominations in Help.

Cemeteries, Burial Grounds, and Gravestones

Avoid nominations whose real-world locations appear to be cemeteries, burial grounds, or gravestones. Gravestones may be accepted, but only if the gravestone is publicly accessible and it belongs to a historical figure or significant community figure.

Eligible:

This gravestone belongs to a prominent cultural and historical figure, is publicly accessible, and is a popular tourist destination.

Memorials

Memorials are eligible, but only for significant figures in a community or for significant events. Memorials that contain human remains should adhere to the acceptance criteria for gravestones. 

Eligible:

This plaque contains detailed information about why this person is a significant historical figure.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Second Criteria describing what to accept. From the Potentially Confusing Nominations in Help at the bottom in the Additional Examples and guidelines.

Memorial bench/plaques - Eligible, if dedicated to a noteworthy member of a community or historical figure.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Third Crtieria describing what to accept. From the January 2020 Update in Help.

Cemeteries or Graveyards

• Acceptable: Headstones, statues or memorials dedicated to a historical figure, someone who is significant to the local community, or groups of individuals. For example, a WWII Veteran memorial.
    • Not acceptable: Signs at the entrance of cemeteries, cemetery directories, other headstones or memorials (regardless of how visually unique or artistic they are), or funeral homes.

Fourth Criteria describing what to accept. From the Ingress Forums dated February 27th.

The positive on the Fourth Criteria is Artistic and War Veteran Memorial Plaques were not denied by Niantic that we can accept them. An agent of ingress provided clear photographs of artistic and architecturally things that could be accepted, as the question was asked February 29th that wasn't denied by Nianticcasey. War Veteran Memorial Plagues were also asked March 1st and no denial occurred, because the only way you earn one from the Department of Veteran Affairs is not having Human Remains of the deceased under them, making them memorial plaques and eligible.

Example of Artistic and Architecturally.

@NianticCasey Gravestones and headstones that are architecturally it artistically interesting are valid now? I thought guidance was only graves of extremely notable people or graves that are a tourist attraction. I recall that the 'art' in a cemetery was eligible if it was not associated with human remains, such as a big Jesus statue in the middle. This reads like any of the really tall gravestones or a praying angel headstone might be eligible.

Would these be good candidates?

Per Nianticcasey's response in Fourth Criteria which is the most current, is these are allowed in my opinion as well as mausoleum's can be considered eligible.

An the Example of the War Veteran Memorial Plaque's.

From the Va.gov.

Memorial headstones and markers, for individuals or groups, are furnished for eligible deceased active duty service members and Veterans whose remains are not recovered or identified, are buried at sea, donated to science or whose cremated remains have been scattered.

No human remains exist under these. These meet "Memorials" above, please accept.

Hope that helps?

• Rostwold-INGRostwold-ING Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I can see your point, @GearGlider-ING however, if you submit "a trail marker or awesome statue (not burial ground) located in a graveyard" then you have not followed the instruction in Wayfarer Help to "Avoid nominations whose real-world locations appear to be cemeteries, burial grounds, or gravestones", so I'd 1* for location.

This does seem to be quite a grey area, it would be really helpful if Niantic could make it clearer!

@Dice976jr-ING It's true that "Entrance gates have been allowed in the past", but we don't have enough clarity to know if they should have been allowed or not!

I know. I've never said that gravestones shouldn't be accepted if they fit the rules.

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go back and read through the thread a Friar or a Priest alone wouldn’t be eligible for a Waypoint at a Graveyard/Cemetery. They would have to be notable in the community to be eligible. Being a Frair or Priest doesn’t automatically make them notable they need to be recognizable as important or special to their community.

So you mentioned Celebrity as well this one is a little easier as it means they are well known. However, where do we draw the line? A list? B list? D list celebrities? What about a YouTube Celebrity? How many views or subscribers would it take? See my point? It’s hard to put a defined this persons gravesite can be a waypoint. It’s upto the nominative to prove that, they need to provide the history and importance to the local community.

I would say the same for politicians too, first mayor of a town = important, 12 mayor out of 40 and didn’t do much during their time as mayor? Who even remembers this person.

Saying someone is a priest, friar, politician, or celebrity automatically makes them eligible is a dangerous slippery s l o p e. It’s about proving they are eligible, providing history, why were they important. A Supreme Court judge that helped vote in favor of an important ground breaking case for civil rights would absolutely be eligible, people may not know them by name but providing the history would show they were important historical figure.

A priest who just was a priest for 20 years may not be noteworthy enough. However, adding details that they started multiple home less shelters and donated their time to better their city by doing x, y, and z absolutely could be eligible.

it’s about their accomplishments in their community and whether the reviewer believes they meet those requirements.

Because it says "Avoid nominations whose real-world locations appear to be cemeteries, burial grounds, or gravestones"!

edited March 2020

A big thing in that is that it says "Avoid Nominations who appear to be" Not "appear to be on" or "appear to be located in".

So the areas are still okay. It's just the cemeteries/gravestones themselves that should be avoided. This also lines up with their clarifications from the OPR days. Though the confusion about what this guidence means is a very common confusion and I wish Niantic would make the language clearer.

This is absurd. You've edited out the bit about location! As I've posted twice already it actually says: "Avoid nominations whose real-world locations appear to be cemeteries, burial grounds, or gravestones". (emphasis added)

You have edited out an entire line of language too.

2nd sentence shows that we are allowed to have submissions in it with gravestones.

Memorial plagues have no restriction in graveyards.

Trail Markers have no restrictions in graveyards.

Only thing restricted is the Cemetery itself.

Entrances typically have unique architecture.

No issue with private residential property as a cemetery is typically publicly open to the community. (Yes may be restricted hours, but that doesn't deny a wayspot.)

Casey responded with Notoriety which you are ignoring. Notoriety is a state of being Famous. Veterans are acknowledged at major league sporting events. That is giving veterans notoriety by having the crowd stand why they are being celebrated and applaud by the community for their selfless acts during major war events.

That’s my point. How does one decide if someone is famous enough? What deeds must one preform to have a level of notoriety that seems them worthy of a Waypoint.

@Gabriel0322-PGO @Dice976jr-ING which ever one of you wants to reply.

So how should the reviewer know if the waypoint is eligible. Should they just take everyone’s word that the person is notable? What’s stopping someone from submitting any grave based on the “submitter” deeming worthy.

I have always thought it was the reviewers job to determine whether a Waypoint met all criteria... so what’s the point of reviewers if that’s not part of their job?

This discussion has been closed.