Etched Glass Map Feedback request

Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this etched glass map in the entranceway to an appartment complex was pretty unique. Was hard to capture in photo. Any thoughts, or let it go?

Nautical Map of Michigan

APPEAL

Harrison Township MI

NOT ACCEPTED

2023-04-07

Rejection Criteria

Other Rejection Criteria

Private Residence or Farm

Description

Unique nautical map of Michigan etched into the entranceway of the 400 by the Lake Apartment Complex

34442 Jefferson Ave, Harrison Twp, MI 48045, USA

Supplemental Information

The supplemental photo is from outside the entranceway for context of the location

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is very interesting, but I have no idea how you'd go about getting a better photo of it where the image is both clear and does not include your reflection.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

I agree this is all about how you get a good photograph.

I think any sunny day is going to make it difficult. It might be better at night time?

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irony is the rejection reason doesn't list the photo.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried using a polarizing filter to remove the reflection?

Failed again, this time got low quality photo as rejection reason.

It is really hard to get rid of the reflection so the map is obvious.

have you tried at night?

I did but the lights are on from inside in lobby. Making it not any better

I tried a 3rd time, I'll consider this three strikes I'm out :< Unless anyone can come up with a way to get a better photo idea.

Do you think it's worth bothering to try an appeal? Or I'll get same results

Glass Map of Michigan

Harrison Township MI

NOT ACCEPTED

2023-05-06

Rejection Criteria

Low Quality Photo

Other Rejection Criteria

Description

Map of Michigan made into a decorative entranceway for the 400 Apartment Complex

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to appeal it, I think the first submission you made would stand the best chance of being a successful appeal from a photography point of view.

That being said, I want to refer back to something you said:

I'm surprised about this. The reflection issue is caused because you have a lot of light behind you when you take the photo during the day. Backlighting the glass (as would be the case if you took the photo during the night with the lights inside the building being switched on) should fix the reflection issue because the light source is no longer coming from behind the camera and being bounced back into it.

• MennoLente-PGOMennoLente-PGO Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Oh dear, think about all the photoshop magic you could employ to improve this photos. As rule of thumb: as long as you can use it to improve photo quality, and not alter reality, I wouldn't advice against it, and in difficult cases like these, I think you should use it.

• Leedle95-PGOLeedle95-PGO Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Going back to the rejection reasons, as you said, neither mentioned the photo. I think the “other rejection criteria,” which means it did not meet any eligibility criteria, is the most important. Assuming you are submitting this as a great place to explore (neither a great place to exercise nor a great place socialize make any sense), you are going to need to convince reviewers that this apartment complex entry door will inspire exploration. Personally, I think that will be difficult, but if you appeal or resubmit make sure you address that. I dont think you need to worry about the photo, it’s clear what it is, but doesn’t really standout as anything different from other business door designs.

I refreshed all 3 5+ times

Pretty much every time Low Quality Photo came up.

None of the other reasons came up over half the time. There were a variety of reasons like Other Rejection which do suggest its not the best thing since it's going for "Explore".

A couple of the ones are false that came like Private Residence Farm / No Pedestrian Access which I can address. I even got 1 Temporary or Seasonal...

The only real thing I can fix though is Photo. Even with a better photo it might not pass. Shrug.

Have you tried really cropping in so you can see the map

obviously these are very grainy but if you get up close you present the reviewer with less clutter and the map will stand out. You can then describe how the etched artwork covers the whole door.