About gym and trainingclubs

Should I stop nominate gyms and exercise clubs? They get rejected. But I can see mot of these spots, but not mine. Friskis & Svettis in Sweden has been rejected twice.

"Träningslokal" in Swedish is a great criteria. But why can't people that vote take a few seconds to Google on what that place is? Or do I have to write in English though my questions in nominations are in Swedish? I'm really frustrated, because we are supposed to incourage exercise.

This was the photo, and i described it as a very well known and great exercise and gym spot. Oh no, it is private property. 😠

I thought everyone in Sweden knew what this gym is.. it's not fun to vote, when I get so wrong rejections. This was the worst ever...

Answers

• ThirstyBob1-PGOThirstyBob1-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Personally I consider gyms easy yes if everything else checks out when reviewing. I also generally would google something I am unsure of, but I would say it’s probably best to assume most reviewers won’t.

• Lonkero1965-PGOLonkero1965-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭

I Google very often, because there is so many false nominations now. Probably to get gyms and beer and to raid. I am very careful how I vote, so this is just crazy. Only because I have seen many gyms and sportclubs having a spot.

This gym is near me, and people are there from 6 am to very late.. I Wonder if that have with the language to do.. I usually write in Swedish, but when I am voting, people has written in English, and very badly.. I have to translate sometimes. But I am very careful, I don't want it to be wrong. I have been rejected many times, but this one was only too much.

Well.. I got one nomination approved yesterday near me, and one in February. But It's just weird how people vote, not at all after criterias. But it is what it is. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Ganta3Crow9-PGOGanta3Crow9-PGO Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/130344#Comment_130344

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basically gyms should be accepted if they are an independent gym and not one of many with the same name, aka a chain.

You should explain in the description that it encourages exercise & that it is an independent gym, even if it's obvious. It sometimes makes people remember criteria they should be voting on

• Lonkero1965-PGOLonkero1965-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately many Wayfarers don't accept because of that. Thanks again for your time to answer!

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been written somewhere but I'm too tired to bother looking up exactly where.

It has been clarified many times in probably AMA's in relation to chains in general rather than chain gyms.

There has even been some discussions here about why some pub chains get accepted that go against that guidance. It's probably because the pub names are different and not seen as advertising for the company behind it, unlike chain stores and gyms.

• TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it was made up by the community and repeated enough that people started believing it.

The only place in the criteria that mentions chains is this line: A generic business, chain, or franchise that is not locally unique. It makes no distinction between business, chain or franchise, and locally unique means in that local area. This sentence is being removed from the criteria as well.

There isn't a single AMA that mentions the word chain.

Whenever there is a clarification that mentions the word chain, that word is in the question. And either the Niantic employee doesn't mention it in the response or they explain that chain locations can be eligible if you can prove they meet eligibility criteria.

We have several clarifications by NianticCasey, and a confirmation by NianticGiffard, that chains can be good locations. This one is about a Starbucks: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/45941#Comment_45941. This is about sponsorship deals: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/79068#Comment_79068.

We have this clarification by NianticGiffard: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/130344#Comment_130344. Note that the chain mention is in the question and Giffard does not go into it. He does say "Gyms/Dance studios/etc. business promoting exercises need to be reviewed as a place of exercise which is an eligible spot.".

It all comes down to the value the location has for the local community, in regards of the eligibility criteria. Is a Starbucks a great place to be social, then it's good. Same for a chain gym that is a great place to exercise, which most if not all of them are.

• DEMARTIN0-PGODEMARTIN0-PGO Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭

Are any chains or mass produced items accepted in any categories? I can not think of any accept trail markers. In the past there was a generic business denial category which in my personal opinion a chain would fall under. To me there is nothing visually unique about a gym that is a chain.

• TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any chains or mass produced items accepted in any categories?

Did you even open any of the links I posted?

I can not think of any accept trail markers.

Do you understand why trail markers don't fall under mass produced? They are objects that placemark an area. You have to evaluate the criteria against the location or object that is nominated, not against the object that placemarks it. Park signs are similar.

In the past there was a generic business denial category which in my personal opinion a chain would fall under.

Again, did you even open any of the links I posted?

To me there is nothing visually unique about a gym that is a chain.

Do you even know what visually unique means?

Visual Uniqueness

Does the nomination stand out from its surroundings? Wayspots that are easy to locate and visually distinct from the buildings and objects nearby make high-quality Wayspots and should be rated highly. If you think the nomination looks bland and will be hard to locate, give it a lower rating.

I assume you mean that a chain gym is not visually appealing. It is not being nominated as a work of art, but as a great place to exercise. It doesn't need to look nice.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

In this thread: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25864/exercise-related-businesses-need-a-niantic-criteria-clarification#latest Niantic answered that Gyms / Dance Studios / Dojos are evaluated as places of exercise. They are more like evaluating a Baseball field, or Basketball Court rather than something going for gather/explore criteria.