Copied Descriptions - Reject under Title/Description category or abuse category

While reviewing today I came across another nomination where the description is just a copy and paste of the first paragraph of the wikipedia article for a building. Should I be rejecting these under the irrelevant title/description category or under an abuse category?

No rejection category seems to describe copy/paste jobs well, but I think it could count as abuse because uncited copied and pasting would be considered plagiarism in for example an academic setting.

Comments

• PaulingZubat-PGOPaulingZubat-PGO Posts: 604 Ambassador

I usually reject the first or two under title/description. If it becomes frequent in a particular area, I move to abuse and then a help chat ticket if it is recurring. Same for third-party photos: first on 3PP, abuse then ticket when recurring.

Sceenshots are helpful evidence for the help chat, I had a single ticket with multiple wayspots and wayfinders "taken action" on. I assume some in queue were also pulled off.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most descriptions of nominations that I see are just copy-pastes from Wikipedia or another website anyway. It does not matter because most other people will just accept it, or if it gets rejected they'll just resubmit it with the exact same information.

The last time I reported something like this to Niantic, they didn't see a problem with it.

• Spannerdaniel-INGSpannerdaniel-ING Posts: 47 ✭✭

I reported one of these copied description nominations and niantic gave this message:

"Hello Explorer,

Thanks for reaching out.

We have reviewed the report and have taken action on 14 Nominations and the Wayfinder in accordance with our policies. While we are unable to discuss our actions in detail to protect the submitter’s privacy, they may include but are not limited to, sending a warning message, placing restrictions on their Wayfarer, Pokémon GO, or Ingress account, putting their account on probation, or placing a temporary or permanent suspension on their Wayfarer, Pokémon GO or Ingress account.

Thanks for helping us maintain the quality of the Wayspots.

Best Regards,"

The bold emphasis is mine

Given they took action against a whole string of nominations, not just the one I reported I think they probably do care - so I will continue reporting third party text where I see it.

• saarstahl-INGsaarstahl-ING Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I give 1* for title/description in such cases.

Unfortunately, we don't know if a review with 1*for title and 3+* for the other criteria counts as approval or rejection.

• Leedle95-PGOLeedle95-PGO Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

“No rejection category seems to describe copy/paste jobs well, but I think it could count as abuse because uncited copied and pasting would be considered plagiarism in for example an academic setting.”

It is still plagiarism even outside the academic setting, and importantly considered copyright infringement in this setting and why it is prohibited. These should be outright rejected. I typically use the Title/Description and note that it is because the description has been plagiarized/copied verbatim from another source.