Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Keep Getting Other Country's Nominations to review than my own country's

MikaLaurens-PGOMikaLaurens-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Report a Bug

It's like hometown location is not working at all.

My hometown is Indonesia, but 90% keep getting review of Singapore and Malaysia

0 votes

Working as Intended · Last Updated

Comments

• shimpooky-PGOshimpooky-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

This is an issue in Europe as well. My home location is set in Germany near the border to the Netherlands, and I get a lot of Dutch submissions. I know a little Dutch, and I can also handle the occasional Danish and French submission, but I don't always feel comfortable rating a title and description I only understand half of. Google translate isn't perfect either, especially if there are typos. If I get a submission in Polish or Czech, I have to skip it or 3 star the title and description often, because I don't know those languages at all, and the Google translation can be confusing.

• MandynhaS2-PGOMandynhaS2-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

Me too! I’m from Brazil and from time to time get some submissions from neighbor countries like Uruguay and Paraguay... I also feel uncomfortable reviewing those because I don’t know Spanish that well

• Imergera-PGOImergera-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

@MikaLaurens-PGO @shimpooky-PGO @MandynhaS2-PGO

The reviews apparently work in cells. That's probably why. This is not your country that define the reviews the the L2 cell you are in. This is not official but it's what as been empirically deducted.

Best is to use a translator to work on your review :) Also they probably don't want you to see stuff really close to you so that you don't validate everything there blindly. You review for others and others will review for you :)

• PhilClane-INGPhilClane-ING Posts: 31 ✭✭

A foreign language shouldn't be a barrier, there are a lot of ways to translate texts.

E.g. on mobile you can use the translate function in Google Chrome: https://www.reddit.com/r/NianticWayfarer/comments/ewtkhr/easy_translation_option_on_mobile_using_chrome

I'm from Germany and chose Singapore as my Bonus Location just for fun. Even nominations with Chinese texts are not a problem to review.

• Katavento-PGOKatavento-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

I get wayspots in my hometown to review all the time, so they certainly don't block nearby nominations from us. Blindly validating everything close to you would have negative impact on your Wayfarer score. :)

• DanilPod-PGODanilPod-PGO Posts: 19 ✭✭

@PhilClane-ING

I disagree. Translators are not always accurate, especially if it is not "from English to smth" or vice versa. Incorrect translations often lead to misunderstandings.

This is a very typical example for me and my community. We live in a big city close to the Russian-Finnish and Russian-Estonian borders. In our city there are a large number of so-called "Доходный дом" which means "Revenue house". However, google.com often translates this as "Business/trading house", which is ussually marked as "a generic business". And regardless of the fact that this house may have been a home for famous historical figures, artists and others, or it is included in the cultural heritage list, it will be rejected.

Similarly, when I see a nomination in Finnish, a translator often just transliterates a title of a building, Google does not answer the question what it is, and all I can see in a photo is just a building somewhere in a woods.

• FioriParty-PGOFioriParty-PGO Posts: 26 ✭✭

I use a translator when i´m reviewing other country´s portal submisions. I am from Peru and choosed a random country as my bonus location to review more submissions and get more upgrades. I am reviewing stuff from Hungary and Slovakia XD awesome places

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesnt upvote work?

• Imergera-PGOImergera-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

@DanilPod-PGO then don't review. Unfortunately they can't stop with countries they don't know what countries mean. They use rectangular (more or less) cells. It needs to be big enough and needs to be equal size (to be fair). Otherwise small countries would have very different experience than others.

If you are not able to work with translations then don't review ;)

I'm saying that to be mean or anything. I'm just being realistic :)

• PhilClane-INGPhilClane-ING Posts: 31 ✭✭

Similarly, when I see a nomination in Finnish, a translator often just transliterates a title of a building, Google does not answer the question what it is, and all I can see in a photo is just a building somewhere in a woods.

Then it's ok to reject it. It's the nominators task to explain the cultural/historical/significance and this should be possible in any language and it should even be possible to translate it into any other language. We're not supposed to accept things because we already know that they are acceptable, but because the description explains why they are eligible. Which also means: improve your own descriptions/explanations if too many stuff is rejected.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Upgrades push to everyone. So yes we have to review others stuff. They review yours too!

• CnelWEKurtz-INGCnelWEKurtz-ING Posts: 9 ✭✭

Hello,

I have my home location and my bonus location settled but when I reviewing nominations, proposed portals of other country are sent me for review. I tried skip but are not enough. I tried for review they but my rating is affected, It drops from "excelent-green" to "fair-red". Please NIA avoid this mix with other sites than configured in wayfarer account. I suggest that the affected accounts shall have an amnesty from NIA and all points will be taken into account for upgrade medals.

• ManTracked-PGOManTracked-PGO Posts: 0 ✭✭

Hello

I am from saudi arabia and i live in jeddah, but im recieving nominations from taiwan to review, please can you fix my location?

i own an iphone

• Ghunnter-PGOGhunnter-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

*Issue title:* Wayfarer ignores my location settings and shows me nominations from random places

*Description of the issue:* From the very first time I logged in on Wayfarer I made sure to go to Settings and set up both my Hometown location and my Bonus location. However, Wayfarer has consistently ignored that all along and just throws me random locations for me to review Wayspots on. How am I supposed to review stops somewhere I've never been to? Why is there even a Hometown location in the first place if that's not taken into consideration when handing out Wayspot indications? I've checked up on multiple friends of mine and it seems to be working out just fine for them. They get to accept our own community's nominations while I am stuck seeing things from different countries for no reason.

TL;DR: Wayfarer ignores my location settings and makes me review whatever it wants me to review.

*Device, OS:* I have tried accessing Wayfarer on Safari on my MacBook (on macOS Mojave) and also Safari on my iPhone (iOS 13.5). This problem has persisted ever since Wayfarer was first launched until now.

*Attachments:* Attach screenshots or videos that will help us reproduce the issue and provide context to your bug report

• Hey there,

Can you review your Hometown and Bonus location settings to make sure that you haven't mistakenly added this to your account? It's possible that you had intended to add the same city in a different country by accident.

• Cheez42-PGOCheez42-PGO Posts: 1

I set my home and bonus location to my US location. Approximately 80% of the submissions that I review are in Chinese/Mandarin, presumably because I spin stops in Hong Kong during business trips. I use Google translate as best I can, but I do not understand the language. My review quality is not very good, because I don't understand the words.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will get nominations primarily from the areas you play in, followed by your home location and then bonus location. If you played in Hong Kong, you will get nominations from that area. If you don't want to review nominations from that area of the world, your only option is to refrain from playing while you are there.

isnt that in Tasmania rather than Australia?

• Cheez42-PGOCheez42-PGO Posts: 1

Sorry, but I haven'g been there in more than 6 months (Covid). It hasn't helped. And the situation has become much more urgent, since Niantic started putting in submissions to test people. ! I couldn't tell what type of school the POI is on today. I can't read Chinese.

• spinetingles-PGOspinetingles-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Tasmanian here! I can reliably inform you that Tasmania IS A PART OF AUSTRALIA.

Sure, we're at the bottom, and sometimes we're left off maps, but we are indeed still a part of Australia [despite our best efforts to become part of New Zealand because the political climate is far more desirable.]

Can get you a map if you need 😉

• spinetingles-PGOspinetingles-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

Mainlanders like to joke about us and not include us, but, we're Australia too, you guys 😄

• Hi folks,

I've flagged this to the Wayfarer team to review.

It's entirely possible that this could happen, there are a number of selection criteria for picking the nominations for reviewers. One of which is hometown. So if there’s nothing available to review in their hometown search bucket, it’ll serve stuff from the other criteria like other nearby within a larger radial distance and possibly even country wide, if everything else has been exhausted.

These examples look to be way outside of what's expected however, so we'll look into this.

uh i am sorry. i am following some cutie from Launceston on FB and got carried away abit

• Hey there,

Thanks for surfacing this. As I mentioned in a similar bug report, it's entirely possible that this could happen, there are a number of selection criteria for picking the nominations for reviewers. One of which is hometown. So if there’s nothing available to review in the hometown search bucket, it’ll serve stuff from the other criteria like other nearby within a larger radial distance and possibly even country wide, if everything else has been exhausted.

What looks like is happening is that Wayfarer is picking up on your location from the most recent time that you opened a Niantic app and continuing to serve you locations from that area. I'd recommend opening Ingress or Pokémon GO. If you don't see a correction to your location within about 24 hours, please let me know!

• Hey folks,

What looks like is happening is that Wayfarer is picking up on your location from the most recent time that you opened a Niantic app and continuing to serve you locations from that area, prioritizing this over the other criteria.

I'd recommend opening Ingress or Pokémon GO to update your location. If you don't see a correction to your nominations within about 24 hours, please let me know!

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Would you mind sharing your hometown, bonus, and current play areas? Asking because it's typical to receive nominations anywhere across your country and its territories and sometimes other countries along the boarder.

I say this as a reviewer in United States who sees a majority of nominations in my local play area, bonus, and hometown, but I also see (with less frequency) nominations over a thousand miles away. For example, I'm in the Midwest but also see nominations occasionally from Georgia, New York, and California. I'll also see nominations in Mexico & Canada, but only have seen them very close to the US boarder. I also see Saipan, Puerto Rico, and Guam, as they are also part of the US.

• VidarEagle-INGVidarEagle-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING it goes beyond "country-wide", we get a lot of nominations from neighbouring countries. So as for judging their titles and descriptions, we really don't know enough about their languages.. 😉

That is what Google Translate is for. There is even a Chrome extension and Firefox plugin for it.

• VidarEagle-INGVidarEagle-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Google translate usually isn't at its best when neither language is English, and using plugins during review when several threads on lock-outs Nia discourages it... I haven't even checked if chrome for Android supports plugins...

You do not get locked out for using a browser extension or plug-in, nor have I seen Ninatic discourage the use of browser extensions/plug-ins. I have several extensions installed, including an ad blocker, Google Translate, a password manager, and a bookmark manager and experienced no problems with the Wayfarer website because of them.