Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Upgrades & dups

Hi, I noticed that one of my submissions has automatically been upgraded? Does this happen if you don't choose one within a given time frame?

Also it was marked as a duplicate, which deffo isn't the case, unless it's also been submitted by another person pending approval?

Best Answers

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

No problem, and yes- it is extremely frustrating! You have to really go out of your way to learn all these hidden/unclear rules. And even once you understand them well, there are even more frustrations waiting for you lol

I don't know why I enjoy doing this sometimes. The payoff of actually seeing submissions live in game is worth it, so far at least. I've had to take a few breaks due to getting overly frustrated with it.

Answer ✓

For reviewing I don't use an additional tools. They do exist, a popular one is wayfarer+.

But for SUBMITTING I do use the IITC map with the S2 plug ins for PoGo. The cheating part comes in where people sometimes place nominations in the wrong spot in order for it to show in PoGo. To be honest, this is likely considered a ToS violation, I won't argue it isn't. I use it mostly because sometimes a few feet in one direction or another will place it into an empty cell instead of an occupied one, and for large PoIs like a sports field/basketball court/building, you can still take the 17 cells into account and still be accurate. I never place something incorrectly.

When reviewing, just worry about whether the location is accurate. With a few feet is ok. But something like 10-20 feet away- probably too far, in my opinion.

Answers

• 5h4d3d51d35-PGO5h4d3d51d35-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

So there are portals in Ingress that aren't stops in pogo and even though they're not on both, you can't nominate one if it's on the other platform?

Correct, exactly this. I'd recommend reading up on S2 cells and how they relate to pokemon go (you can just google "s2 cells pokemon go" and get lots of info on it). Niantic doesn't really like us talking about it, it could encourage cheating/manipulation. So I personally avoid explaining it fully on these forums.

Man, the shines really wearing off all this unpaid data work.

Unclear rules, inadequate tools, bans, cooldowns, no feedback when you're wrong and no way to discuss anything directly with a member of staff.

In fact it's worse than unpaid, we're actually paying for the privilege through data fees and network charges.

Thank you for your help though Sugarstarzkill, you've been super helpful!

Answer ✓

No problem, and yes- it is extremely frustrating! You have to really go out of your way to learn all these hidden/unclear rules. And even once you understand them well, there are even more frustrations waiting for you lol

I don't know why I enjoy doing this sometimes. The payoff of actually seeing submissions live in game is worth it, so far at least. I've had to take a few breaks due to getting overly frustrated with it.

I've seen screenshots on here, of tools showing Ing and pogo pois, but didn't make a note at the time because I didn't know I needed it. Do you use anything to help? (not trying to get you in any trouble or anything!)

Not sure that all the S2 stuff could encourage cheating - it's used to decide if a stop is valid, so should be common knowledge - the review process should be the thing that removes strategically placed invalid pois, right?

Answer ✓

For reviewing I don't use an additional tools. They do exist, a popular one is wayfarer+.

But for SUBMITTING I do use the IITC map with the S2 plug ins for PoGo. The cheating part comes in where people sometimes place nominations in the wrong spot in order for it to show in PoGo. To be honest, this is likely considered a ToS violation, I won't argue it isn't. I use it mostly because sometimes a few feet in one direction or another will place it into an empty cell instead of an occupied one, and for large PoIs like a sports field/basketball court/building, you can still take the 17 cells into account and still be accurate. I never place something incorrectly.

When reviewing, just worry about whether the location is accurate. With a few feet is ok. But something like 10-20 feet away- probably too far, in my opinion.

Ooooooh... A lot of the time I've been replacing the pins to better reflect where they geographically actually are without thinking they may have been strategically placed there. Eeek.

I have no idea if I've been doing the right or wrong thing in the eyes of Niantic though. They do actually want more poi's, right?

There's none of the grid/cells talk in the quiz.

I'm kindof intrigued as to whether the rules around cells are down to legacy system limitations or whether there's some other logic!

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

If you have reviewed the help section on Wayfarer, you do know that you are doing it right. You have to review the location based on how close it is to the real-world location. You should move the pin if it is off. If you do not move the pin, you need to mark down the location accuracy below 5-stars.

What if there's a discrepancy between the street view and the aerial view? Which of those are correct? These seem to be the most common ones I come across, and so I don't know if it's user error or a mismatch due to the way Google maps works

Sorry for annoying you, I just want to do things correctly.

So if you do move the pin you can mark it 5 stars, but if you don't you have to mark it down?

"Rate 1 star if the nomination cannot be found, 3 stars if likely to exist but is obscured, or 5 stars if found and accurate."

Personally I'd put the pin on the actual poi, however some people leave it a few feet.

If I come along and move the pin so it's directly on the poi, but that subsequently leads to a rejection as there's already another poi in the level 17 s2 cell, but where it was initially placed would have meant it would have been accepted and it was within a few feet, I've potentially ruined someone's submission, right?

Last question (for now) and a slight tangent.... I take it you need to join Ingress to use the IITC map?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Yes. But you only need be level 1 to see full acres of the Intel map. There are many dedicated tutorials and guides that can tally you through the process, or you can find groups that may be able to provide more direct support.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Wanted to add a little:

Street View and photospheres cam and very often are off by sometimes as little as a few feet and sometimes much more. I would not move a pin based on those alone, but you can use things inside the 'sphere or Street view and reference them to satellite.