Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Painted Fire Hydrants

Answers

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador
    edited June 2020

Yep, and as I've pointed out previously, literally any location along a street is as likely to interfere with EMS because most responses don't require the use of a fire hydrant. If we're going to such extreme lengths to make sure no one ever interferes than there are plenty of locations more important than hydrants. It's not a valid comparison.

And "i've heard people are painting over the bolts" is a rumor that started in this thread. It's not a widespread concern, and in fact with the amount of force required to open those bolts, a thin layer of paint won't have an impact.

• AbinitioZ-PGOAbinitioZ-PGO Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Painting over the bolts DOES make it harder to open the hydrant I have a fire fighter in my family

Niantic needs to err on the side of caution to avoid the inevitable lawsuits cities could bring against them

Sounds like they're not meeting their fitness requirements. I'll share what I posted about this on reddit:

"In my neighborhood we have a yearly get together. At last year's gathering the fire department sent a dozen fire fighters over to meet everyone. At that same gathering the community could join in painting 2 hydrants and the fire fighters took part in painting them. They talked about exactly this issue you're pearl-clutching about and said it doesn't matter."

By this reasoning that a hydrant is similar to a fire station's garage door, is a fire lane also similar? Should all candidates adjacent to painted fire lanes be rejected because they could conceivably interfere? This just isn't the same and it's not fair to compare these situations.

How about you all leave comments instead of disagreeing, and don't use alt-accounts to add disagreements.

edited June 2020

And what about the comparison with a painted fire lane?

As far as the legal aspect, I don't disagree. That's why this could have just been left as an un-clarified question honestly. Not only that, but this reads like it's Casey's personal opinion on it rather than a response from whoever/whatever NIA Ops is. Given previous opinions from Casey, I'm not sure that's the kind of response we want or deserve.

• AnTorry22-PGOAnTorry22-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

Casey please add this to the official clarification. Otherwise everyone will just keep arguing about it

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I think the correct wording is "please submit to the Wayfarer team significant updates to guidance that have been repeatedly requested."

Otherwise, it's just proving Wayfarer and the Wayfarer community is not a priority.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I think it makes sense from a liability standpoint. I understand the arguments being made. But think about these two scenarios-

The unlikely thing happens and a group doing a raid make it difficult for the firefighters to access the hydrant. If Niantic Oks the approval of fire hydrants, and the worst does happen, they could be held liable for encouraging people to congregate around a fire hydrant *specifically *

If the POI people are around is something like a park or monument, the liability factor isn't really there. People are expected to be around monuments/parks/the other typical POIs we nominate. There wouldn't be any grounds to complain about it, because people are congregating where people are already expected to congregate. People aren't expected to congregate around fire hydrants normally (at least not in my area). (And yes, I HAVE seen fire hydrants used for their intended purpose, more than once)

It just opens them up to another liability issue while other POIs that are just "near" fire hydrants don't, in my opinion. I'm quite surprised people are so passionate about this. Get your city to paint electric poles instead 🤷‍♀️ there are a few things *I wish* were acceptable wayspots, and I have made many arguments for them, but at the end of the day, its Niantic's rules. We don't have to like them or even think they make sense.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

@NianticCasey-ING What proximity to fire hydrants is acceptable? Is it a 40M range, the action range for current games?

Would a plaque next to a painted fire hydrant identifying the artist and title be acceptable?

• SoulKing95-PGOSoulKing95-PGO Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

There you have it disagreeing people. We're here to discuss and give arguments. I tried to explain the reason why Nia would say No, but people still can't accept and click disagree. Which lead to worse clarification for us. I was expecting only the equipment wouldn't make as Wayspot, not the area near it 🙃

• Daemare-PGODaemare-PGO Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

That is up to the city then for their liability. The exception does not define the rule. Mainly things are painted in the city in order to beautify it. That may make it a piece of art, but it does not remove its use and purpose. Yes, it is highly unlikely that they will be used, but still they are their to supply water in the event of a fire, not to look pretty. Their explicit use in emergency services supersedes any aesthetic value.

Trespassing is a totally separate issue and Niantic has made it public that if the property owners wants a stop/gym removed or time-locked, they can contact Niantic and they will abide by the request.

At least support has some common sense. This is so crazy.

@JSteve0-ING

Unless I am reading it wrong, @NianticCasey-ING is not talking about spots surrounding a hydrant, but rather the hydrant itself.

How is there any distinction? In order to actually use a fire hydrant, a significant amount of distance around it will be required. If the concern is truly about not interfering with EMS, then there has to be a buffer zone. Same reason there's a 40m buffer around PFP where we are to take a closer look. If this is truly as big of an issue as all of you are making it out to be, it's asinine to draw the line at the hydrant itself .

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Do people not congregate at a library/coffee shop/park/house/taco stand/etc... because there is a fire hydrant within 5 feet of them?

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

@tehstone-ING

I think I understand your argument and I have done my best to outline why I think the issue is hydrant itself and not the area surrounding it but I guess what has been shared isn't compelling enough for us to agree on this issue.

I think we are usually on the same side of most of the guidance on here and I appreciate the opinions you share here as well as the work you do on the discord.

Whats the difference? i can play facing away from a fire hydrant but not facing it?

How many people were standing their on their phone standing refusing to move away?

• ArabellaArdelia-PGOArabellaArdelia-PGO Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

So... I was actually staying at a building where the parking garage caught fire, and the fire department had to use the hydrants.... and we were instructed by the fire department to stand NEAR THE HYDRANT - which was across the street from the burning building. And most of the Emergency vehicles were parked in front of the trail marker across the (other) street from it, which is a POI. So no, standing in front of a hydrant doesn't OES, as THAT IS WHAT WE WERE TOLD TO DO. Parking there does, but parking there is already illegal.