Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Improving the location of a Gym rewards the player with LOSING THE GYM

AndyXYZ123-PGOAndyXYZ123-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Report a Bug

Yes, I am reporting this as a bug, because I refuse to believe that this was someone's thought-out decision.

If you're a Pokemon Go player and you try to correct the location of a misplaced Gym, you need wait for the Wayfarers to approve your location edit. And guess what you get if the edit was successfully accepted... A more accurate location for that Gym maybe? Lol no. You might LOSE that Gym now.

Yes, you heard right. You might lose that Gym and a completely different Pokestop in the S2 L14 cell will become a Gym instead, based on the Ingress photo score.

This change is outrageous and needs to be reverted asap.

For more context: I edited the location of a Gym that was slightly mislocated. The movement was all within the same S2 L17 cell. I did not try to get it into a different cell or anything. So this was a GENUINELY nice friendly benevolent location edit, in order to have the Gym at a more accurate location and thereby improve Niantic's database. And what is my reward? How does Niantic thank me? By turning my town's beloved Gym into a lame Pokestop, and turning a completely different (and unpopular) Pokestop into a Gym, just because one Ingress player added like 3 photos to the latter one.

How is this acceptable?

Please revert the Gyms/Pokestops that were swapped since you did those changes in your system.

And please rethink this whole idea of demoting Gyms, as it creates way too much potential for manipulation. People can go to a neighbourhood that they don't like, upvote random portals in Ingress and then demote all of the Gyms thanks to the weird changes that you've made. You created more problems than you're solving. And your changes still don't stop people from moving dozens of Wayspots into an unclickable clusterfuk. You're punishing the wrong people.

Thanks for listening.

Post edited by AndyXYZ123-PGO on
44 votes

Working on a Fix · Last Updated

Comments

• BelchiorBR4-PGOBelchiorBR4-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Na nossa cidade, nós perdemos um ginásio Ex por isso, as mudanças do dia 23/06 em diante está dando um reset no ginásio que sofreu alteração de local, transformando em pokestop.

• EveVilca-INGEveVilca-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING @NianticCasey-ING fix the problem with gyms, crazy changes that started from June 24. We had like 2 gyms apart in different cells, nothing stuck together but out of nowhere pokestops were made. and nobody asked for any modification. even so we lost the 2 gyms, of which they went to the front that we will have to go through the river or else take a car and reach 10 minutes. All the effort to get the gold medals and finally we had an ex incursion gym. and everything to the water, fix it please. restore as it was before June 24, because we will lose all the effort to make group incursions and lose the gold medal because of a meaningless system.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may be the changes Niantic is instituting to prevent further abuse, such as the mutiple cases where people were able to create large clusters of gyms.

• AndyXYZ123-PGOAndyXYZ123-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Thanks for the reply, @NianticCasey-ING ! Glad to hear that it's not the intended final behaviour.

Here are the specifics of our Gym that got demoted:

Name: Skulptur Frau auf Fahrrad

New Coordinates: 51.445246, 7.376294

Previous Coordinates (Approximately): 51.445406, 7.376174

Location Edit: The movement was within its original L17 cell. It was moved by 5-10 meters maybe. The Wayspot was previously located at the northern side of the bike lane Rheinischer Esel, very close to the main road Herdecker Straße. But the sculpture is actually located on the grass field to the southern side of the bike lane (which you can tell by looking at the Wayspot's picture and the houses in the background). So this was a truly genuine and innocent location edit, in order to correspond more accurately to the real-world location. We got punished for no reason. Your new work was meant to stop abusers, but instead you hit us; even though we didn't try to place the Gym into a different cell at all and there aren't even any other Gyms in the adjacent cells. It was a truly genuine edit.

Here are the specifics of the new Gym that was previously a Pokestop:

Name: Kletterturm Am Jugendtreff

Coordinates: 51.445004, 7.379108

We don't want that one to be a Gym. We very much prefer to get our old Gym "Skulptur Frau auf Fahrrad" back.

We would be delighted to get your help. Please turn our old Gym into a Gym again, and the new Gym back into a Pokestop.

Thanks a lot!

Post edited by AndyXYZ123-PGO on
  • TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

You probably should include the original locations as well (or close approximations)

Ok, I added the previous location into my comment.

• biochembob-INGbiochembob-ING Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Please move all games to level 18 cells instead of having them all on different ones (ingress 19, hp 18, pokemon go 17). That would cut down on the amount of gaming the stops by a large amount.

• EveVilca-INGEveVilca-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭

all this is because only in ingress they only benefit and in pokemon go no. by adhered rules of cells S2 Level 17. To tell the truth in pokemon there are three times as many users as in Ingres. Only in my locality 3 play ingress and 40 are from pokemon. They should put the cell from 17 to level 18, because when I got excited when I reached level 40 and finally I could ask for a park portal, and it never appeared in pokemon, only in ingress and that was frustrating that a game where a pokeparada was requested and it never came out, but only the players benefited from it. They should modify at level 18 in pokemon go or if the ones in pokemon when someone asks for a proposal only appear in the pokemon game, and portal in ingress. So no one hurts anyone since they are 2 different games. in ingress they are more hateful they only want for their benefits.

• vahha8bit-PGOvahha8bit-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited June 2020

@NianticCasey-ING Hello. we have the same problem. I was waiting to the returning of the portal to the proper location from November 2019. And it finally happened, but the gym for some reason turned into pokestop. The gym had been existing from gym reworking system in 2017 till yesterday synchronization.

Title: "Колонна Энгельса"

New Coordinates: https://www.google.com/maps?q=60.03267875220847,30.320834205266536

Previous Coordinates: https://www.google.com/maps?q=60.032359449513514,30.320815117505493

• ChopStiR-INGChopStiR-ING Posts: 16 ✭✭

The logical fix to stop/minimalise the location editing abuse is to reduce the cell size restriction allowing more wayspots in game to go live.

Niantic has done a good job getting people to play outside... well maybe not so much, more like getting people to play games while driving and car pooling. 

People enjoy playing the game while walking, but the there needs to be some form of wayspot clusters in Parks or the like.

A smart money making idea would be field wayspots as a purchase inventory item that trainers, Wizards, or Agents could deploy in game for a limited time. These would only appear in the relative game and be available for themselves and others to see and interact with.

In pogo and hpwu, these could be time limited. For Ingress it could be until the opposition destroyed it. Although this abuse issue is related to pogo, not Ingress.

• MalarjusVoynich-INGMalarjusVoynich-ING Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

This is exactly what I feared as soon as they posted the news about location edits. Now that there is the possibility to make gyms die, cities with toxic players will be devastated.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

So going back to my theories, it seems as if it actually doesn't fit any of them. If you just move it, it just resets it as if it's the newest POI in the cell and then goes back to the highest photo-score. It's safe to say that if you're moving a gym that already has the highest amount of likes and photos in their S2 level 14 that it would retain its status as a gym, no?

This portal, called 'Three Wise Monkeys' is currently in the middle of the road. It looks to be a nobrainer when making the move edit to the green spot. It's also a gym in Pokemon Go, and conveniently crosses an S2 cell line. Are you saying that moving this would actually demote the gym and have some random other thing based on photos and likes turn into the gym instead?

It would definitely cause pandamonium and outrage in the community.

• Alex6179-PGOAlex6179-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

Thanks for doing this with a bunch of gym edits in limbo. Good job.

• I had put my pokemon in a gym and the gym was due to change location today, what happened is the gym converted to pokestop for some reason and a new stop has become a gym (where I have put another Pokemon), now my mon in the original gym is stuck and showing the time defended as 18440:18:30:37 where 30:37 looks like the time since when the gym got converted to stop. Does anyone know what will happen next, to my mons- both original and the one I put now, and which stop would become the gym?

• Testonoga-PGOTestonoga-PGO Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Why don't you just stop pending edits from going through then or at least undo the changes, while keeping new location edits disabled for the time being? It can't be that hard to stop breaking more things.

Also, the changes miss the point. The problem with "clustering" isn't the density alone, but that most of these were based on invalid or fake submissions which should have never gone through, or at least never been moved away from their actual spots. Completely breaking the gym system doesn't help at all. Instead, a good start would be adding supporting photos to location edits, so it's much easier to verify the surroundings, and punish those who still abuse the system,

edited June 2020

While you are working on a general fix, can you please undo the changes in our innocent case, @NianticCasey-ING ? Our Gym is still gone :( Our community is really sad and upset about it.

Here are the specifics again:

Gym that got demoted to a Pokestop:

Name: Skulptur Frau auf Fahrrad

Coordinates: 51.445246, 7.376294

New Gym that was previously a Pokestop:

Name: Kletterturm Am Jugendtreff

Coordinates: 51.445004, 7.379108

Please turn our old Gym into a Gym again, and the new Gym back into a Pokestop. Thank you very much.

• victor2407-INGvictor2407-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭

Thank you for informing us on the problem @NianticCasey-ING . If you can undo the changes in our case I would really appreciate it,. Our community is angered and upset about what happened.

Here you have the specific gyms.

Gym that turned into a pokestop: Fuente Parque Orbasa (40.462257, -3.47335)

Pokestop that turned into a new gym: Pérgola Blanca (40.46404, -3.473181)

If you can please undo these changes for what happened we would really appreciate it, thank you

edited June 2020

Sorry, but in your case it actually looks like you moved the fountain AWAY from the actual location. And you moved it into a different cell. So this isn't the same situation that I described in this thread. You did try to game the system. So please don't waste Casey's time when you aren't in the same innocent situation as us.

• victor2407-INGvictor2407-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Excuse me? I am not the only one who moves portals in my city and I DONT KNOW who moved it, causing all of this trouble. That is why im asking to be reverted back. The fountain has always been situated correctly and we are still finding who moved it up. Anyway what Cassey is asking is to notice her what gyms were reverted back to pokestops as far as I can read.

• 27lololo-PGO27lololo-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Concuerdo contigo en algunos puntos vista, tengo algunas incomonidades, imagínate estar en una ciudad alejada y que por culpa de implementar los 50 votos no exista ningún gym cerca a tu zona, ¿crees que es correcto estar solo con pokestop?.

Ahora con respecto a los 75 metros entre cada gym y que con 50 votos se convierta en gym, ¿no crees que sería un abuso de que cualquier pokestop sea convertido en gym? Podemos ampliar el radio entre cada gym a 300 metros o 500 metros y eso ampliaría el número de gym permitidos en cada celda S2 nivel 14, los votos estarían de más. El juego de Pokémon go se hizo para ir y descubrir el mundo, pero en estás circunstancias, no es posible disfrutar del juego.