Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Survey Markers

2»

Answers

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Desperately need some insight regarding these survey markers. I'm seeing a ratio of about 20% of survey markers being approved, which means that for anyone who is marking all of these down, that's a fifth of their votes turning into disagreements. On the contrary, the other party who are voting them upwards are getting much more disagreements, to which now everyone must agree to disagree.

There are two schools of thought that should be addressed. And real, actual examples need to be provided.

• itamernz-INGitamernz-ING Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

I just marked a bunch of these as mass-produced and was promptly put into cool down.

• RyanSiegel-PGORyanSiegel-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

Well that's because they are not massed produced but rather unique items that previous niantic guidelines have stated are passable.

• SavageBuneary-PGOSavageBuneary-PGO Posts: 9 ✭✭

I'm a surveyor by profession and would just like to add a bit more information about survey markers. Will try to explain in simple terms.

No matter what they look like (discs, poles, plaques), they serve a common purpose: to mark the location of a particular point on earth. When you look them up in a country's mapping databases, you will know the location (coordinates) and elevation of the specific point being marked.

The reason why there are so many is because they are part of a control network that is used by surveyors, engineers, architects, mappers, etc. as references to determine the locations and/or elevations of other points. For example, before new roads are built, surveyors would lay out the location of the beginning and end of the road, the center line, and the right of way (width) using the nearest markers as reference points for their measurements. Markers can also be used to calibrate surveying equipment like GPS receivers, etc.

So in so far as "uniqueness" is concerned, most markers are actually pretty "generic". Yes, the information about their location can be considered unique because there is no same marker with the same information anywhere else in the world, but they are essentially not marking any place significant. They are just there because the point they are marking fill in gaps in the control network. In other countries, some markers are added when you build structures on a property.

However, some markers would be on more significant locations. For example, here in our country, there is a marker on a mountaintop that marks the geographical center of the country. It's also a tourist attraction, and people go up the mountain to see it. That would be a good Waypoint. Or maybe the elevation bench mark in like the Grand Canyon or Hoover Dam or the Washington Monument in the US would be good Waypoints if they are accessible.

But the other markers on random sidewalks or trails or fields, maybe should be evaluated individually based on merit or significance of the location they are marking.

Just my take on how I'll review any that will come my way until Niantic puts out an official word on them.

• bestsweep-INGbestsweep-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭

On the other hand in the UK there are many in existence that are historic, in locations that are a challenge to get to and of interest due to their past use. We have a wide variety ranging from the rarer FBM and Berntsen types through to the more familiar trig points and a host of cut benchmarks/rivets/flush brackets etc in between. Some do and could make cool POIs, some could be argued to be mass produced and/or of little value. Country differences and type variety make it impossible for the generic advice you seek. I think we just review each submission on its own merits, perhaps with some though to more local guidance (as we have, date I say it, with post boxes in the UK)

On the other side of the coin here in the UK there are numerous Survey Markers that predate GPS and were used to map out the UK (called levellings, the first starting in 1840). They range from Trig points, some of which take considerable physical effort to get to through the rarer Bernsten (as below) and FBM types through cut benchmarks down to tiny brass rivets. Whilst there are many thousands in total across the UK some are historic, rare in occurrence and/or educational. The history, and a database of the UK ones can be found on a couple of sites such as https://www.bench-marks.org.uk/

I agree with the concluding comments above in terms of reviewing on merit as many of ours could be argued to be mass produced or not fitting criteria however there are many that do and could make excellent POIs, certainly better than the plethora of train markers we are currently suffering.

The national differences and type differences within each country mean we are unlikely to receive any specific guidance from Niantic, more likely some country specific guidance within the community may be more appropriate such as, dare I even mention it, the UK postbox position with the different types and prevalence.

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brucebb-ING Thoughts on G series Flush Brackets? I happily submitted one of the older S series, but wasn't so sure about the later G series.

There isn’t a major difference , in terms of time between the series. The other two categories have even less surviving examples. As Niantic say just because something is old doesn’t make it worthy so age isn’t the defining factor. Explaining the specific levelling involved or any specific interest in the location mounted should carry more weight. I’m not an expert in this stuff at all, there are some really knowledgable people of the various benchmark groups.

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

That first photo is just a warning sign not to disturb the nearby (usually buried) marker.