Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Multiple Fields

@NianticCasey-ING Can we get a final clarification on multiple fields in a single complex/park. There has been lots of debates regarding multiple fields being considered "duplicates" if their is already 1 field or the complex even already a waypoint. It is my understanding that each field is eligible based on its own criteria regardless of other fields/waypoints. (Example: 4 baseball diamonds at a park)

Answers

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I understood it 1 portal per sport, so 2 baseball pitches would only get 1 portal but if there was a football pitch next to a baseball pitch then both sports could be nominated separately

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

As you understood what exactly? Any guidelines in particular you are referring to? @YouLostAStar-ING

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen many many parks where the multiple soccer fields, baseball fields, tennis courts, etc all have their own separate portal per field. It helps that each individual field had their own sign or obviously distinct individual field area.

• 24601LM-ING24601LM-ING Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Agreed. Multiple athletic fields for the same sport are "objects installed in a series" and are acceptable.

Large athletic fields are far enough apart to count as separate Wayspots.

Small athletic fields like horseshoe pits wouldn't be "relatively far apart" so then you'd submit the cluster of horseshoe pits as one Wayspot. Proximity rules will enforce the "relatively far apart" criterion.

@24601LM-ING I agree 100% unfortunately I've had my share of discussions with people stating/thinking/arguing otherwise.

• FunMom4Life-PGOFunMom4Life-PGO Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

(Sorry all! When I tried commenting before, I attached a screenshot and the posts never went through. Without any warning messages, I assumed they were lost. Now they've spam posted. Apparently I didn't read Niantic's mind very well. )

Post edited by FunMom4Life-PGO on
    edited March 2020

Post edited by FunMom4Life-PGO on
    edited March 2020
  • Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

@FunMom4Life-PGO's quote is what has been used by most people. Two baseball fields are big enough to easily justify a portal each even if they're side by side, etc.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Read the whole thread. It talks about multiple tennis courts next to each other. Various things on a specific baseball fields.

Casey responded with eventhough it is 4 tennis courts and 2 separate things, it is only 1 wayspot.

Wow I am amazed this came from an Ingress player when it was just recently addressed by Casey on the Ingress Forums 2 weeks ago.

NianticCasey Niantic › admin March 6

Hi folks,

I know that people are very passionate about Wayfarer and that nominations feel very personal and advocating for them is fully encouraged. What is not allowable is attacking one another for disagreeing. I would hate to see folks in this thread get warnings for being too quick to respond or too proud to accept community guidance for how to improve their nominations.

@Tailpot while duplicate nominations are in fact what you described: the same nomination that already exists within the program that the nominator may not have seen when nominated. However, please keep in mind that our goal is not to ingest every possible POI to get as many Portals/Wayspots as possible, but rather to ingest unique, interesting, artistic or notable local hotspots where players could gather or learn/discover something about their community.

An athletic field is absolutely an example of this. An athletic field, the scoreboard on the field, the wall on the south end of the field, the home base on the field, the dugout of the field are not all eligible. In essence, these are all one singular gathering point so should be considered as a single Wayspot. If, however, there is a statue of a notable player on the team at the entrance to the field (and also not in the stands or on the field otherwise overlapping with the athletic field itself), that would be a separate Wayspot from the field.

It's important to consider both the individual POI itself as well as why people would go there. Are they unique from one another or are they parts of a greater whole?

To address the specific question asked: I would NOT consider a tennis wall and a tennis court to be separate Wayspots unless they are part of different facilities (i.e. one in a park and one in an athletic facility) or at different ends of the same park.

Hopefully that guidance answers the questions.

My opinion, I disagree and think should have more portals than just a couple as suggested. I think the Scoreboard should be considered a sign for an existing wayspot of an athletic field as well. As it is written under the Signs for an Existing Wayspot. But last direction was NianticCasey 2 weeks.

• CybrHare-PGOCybrHare-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

2 tennis courts inside a single fenced off area is one thing. 2 separate tennis courts in 2 different fenced off areas of a park are 2 different things. It even says so in your quote. One fenced off baseball field is not a duplicate of another fenced off baseball field. Some sad little minded individual could probably make an argument about about multiple diamonds inside the same fencing.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was of the opinion that if it was a set if tennis courts in one fenced off area were 1 spot, football/soccer pitches in one nced off spot were one stop. But then football pitches that were like 6 or 7 could be a arop at the end most pitches as they would be far enough apart

Casey clearly said opposite ends of the park. If you read the thread it was from. It was clear 4 tennis courts next to each other in 2 separate things and Casey said only 1 tennis court is allowed. That it would have to be the opposite end of the park to be eligible for another.

I read the whole threat and nowhere in his reply did he say multiple fields aren't eligible, multiple aspects of the same field aren't.

"To address the specific question asked: I would NOT consider a tennis wall and a tennis court to be separate Wayspots unless they are part of different facilities (i.e. one in a park and one in an athletic facility) or at different ends of the same park."

Tennis courts would be the same. The Tennis wall was used to identify the second set of tennis courts for a 2nd portal on 2 separate sets of tennis courts.

That comment contradicts itself, he's saying that wall is allowed as it's representing the "tennis courts"...... And I agree........ But those wernt on opposite sides of the park.