Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Little Free Library With Defibrillator Inside

The parish council notice board is between a bus shelter and a K6 telephone box, which contains a Little Free Library (termed 'The Book Box') but the potential issue is the Little Free Library also contains a defibrillator. If the people thought the Little Free Library was going to block emergency services, why put a defibrillator inside?

Questions:

1. Wouldn't the person using the 'The Book Box' be more likely to block the defibrillator than a person sitting in the bus shelter (within range) or standing beside the k6 and playing a Niantic game?
  2. Would nominating the parish council notice board on its own constitute blocking emergency services?

Google Maps link (for Google Street View):

My nomination:

Best Answers

Answers

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

It has been suggested to me that I remove all mention of a defibrillator because first impressions would be "this is a notice board" and most people "won't pay enough attention when reviewing". Apparently, it's not immediately obvious that the Little Free Library contains a defibrillator. I contend that it had the word defibrillator in big bold letters but I've removed all mention of it anyway and see how we go.

I think if the Little Free Library blocks the defibrillator then surely the parish council notice board also blocks it. Yet clearly, those who installed the defibrillator/Little Free Library don't think people blocking the defibrillator is enough of a concern. Therefore, because those who built it don't think those using the object is an obstruction to the defibrillator, I think it's okay to submit. People can move out of the way easily (interaction range is a 40m radius remember).

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭
  • PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

For me, those defibrillators are to be used in case of emergency. Maybe not by the ambulance arriving, but by passersby with sufficient knowledge. So I treat them the same way.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

That's a really weird one, having done an emergency aid course I'd be slightly miffed that that there were books in the defibrillator bit. But as I've also done the course, I can say, people being in the way wasnt really an issue, I even brought that up to the trainer about people being int he way, she said most of the time for public ones, people would be in the way just as standard because they ate public places, so (and again its my opinion) people loitering would be a regular occurrence anyway.

On to the topic though, if you think it wont pass, just do the notice board

• silverkali-INGsilverkali-ING Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I suppose someone may only be there a couple of minutes reading the noticeboard or browsing the books, but if that became a gym then potentially there's larger groups of people congregating around it for five minutes or longer (when doing a raid or farming for keys) and that's when it could possibly cause more issues.

• welshkid-INGwelshkid-ING Posts: 1 ✭✭

Don't worry about the defibrillator, noticeboard, little free library, and bus stop all being in close proximity to each other. The 999 call handlers will be aware of it's location and any concerns would have been raised by the ambulance service.

As also mentioned there would be no obstruction to the emergency services as ambulance and rapid response vehicles carry their own. In addition people who collapsed are not moved by the public to the defib, the defib is brought to them. Therefore the incident would highly be unlikely be situated by the old phone kiosk.

Thankfully, we are seeing more and more of these public defibrillators being installed. There is one in our local sports stadium and is situated where a number of people can be gathering to use public vending machines. Not for one second in reality would a single person or a small group on their mobile devices cause a problem with access.

As for what the PoI criteria for a future Niantic game may or may not be is surely irrelevant at this moment in time!

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with most of your points.

As for future games, I do think that's something to consider because none of us know, barring the NIA devs, how we'll interact with them or what the wayspots will be in future games - will they be gym-like features as seen in PoGo or more like an Ingress portal that you can tap h-a-c-k as you walk past it? So the public safety aspect is definitely something to be considered regardless, especially where there's a grey area in terms of emergency service obstruction (Obviously the defibs we're discussing are public access ones but other members of the community would see them as emergency service equipment regardless)

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would only consider current games, but I base that on how niantic say that legacy stops font get removed just because they arent eligible now (unless k12 or really unsafe). So if something changes in the future with future games, that's when they can be discussed about bring removed, but trying to consider future games when we have no idea what the future games will do is just making assumptions

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It got accepted by the way: