Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Is this considered a good "Shrine" nomination?

I had been seeing a lot of these type of Mini Shrines in Malaysia's review list and I am uncertain whether to accept or reject such nominations and would like the professional guidance from Niantic regarding this as by criteria it seems possible but it is small-sized and able to be hung on the door which makes it extremely common. 😅

Best Answer

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It looks to be permanent, so as long as it's not attached to single family PRP, or K22 premises, and has safe access on foot, it should be eligible. It's a technically a place of worship, regardless of size, so should be okay.

Answers

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with Malaysian culture, but questions I'd ask are: Is it temporary or permanently installed? Is it clearly away from a single family residence, and not on an outside wall/door of a private house?

• KazeKazuyaK-PGOKazeKazuyaK-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

@Faversham71-ING the Shrine is as small and light that it could be held in your hand like a letter box. It is definitely permanently installed within the area. Some are installed on shop units or around flat units. This is confusing for me because some areas use mini shrines like this but paired with larger shrines located nearby.

• Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of the many Maria statues in small niches in a great number of houses in Belgium and southern Netherlands. Those get rejected, but if they're in parks or alonside roads I'd accept.

If this small shrine was not on private residential property I would give this 4 or 5* (depending on how common they are in the area), 3 or 4 for culture and even 2 or 3 for history. At first glance of course. It's clearly a place to worship, remember, mourn and should be eligible. Flat/appartment buildings are often public place too, but that information was before the settlement on PRP, maybe someone can clarify if flats are still OK?

If paired with larger, I usually go on distance. One church, for example, can contain loads of monuments and crosses, but I usually see them as part of that church (no need to POI every cross/candelabrum you see there, just as we also do not submit separate installations on a playground). But, if it's a clear section away from church I'd accept.

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It looks to be permanent, so as long as it's not attached to single family PRP, or K22 premises, and has safe access on foot, it should be eligible. It's a technically a place of worship, regardless of size, so should be okay.

• WandHerring-PGOWandHerring-PGO Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

Wait, the Maria statues are to be rejected? There are dozens of approved ones everywhere I review!

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is a cast figuring, then it should be rejected as a mass-produced object regardless of what the figuring depicts.

It's not just a cast figurine standing alone on the side of the road, it's a whole shrine in the wall, sometimes with offerings, sometimes with a protective panel. I mean, most churches, chapels and shrines use cast statues, they're not handcarving them. It would be like dismissing little free libraries on the basis the books are mass-produced.

I can understand possibly dismissing them for PRP reasons, hence why I'm on two fences here. They have cultural and historical value, and are generally on the front wall of the house so it's not really invasive on someone's property (and would otherwise rule out the majority of possible nomination in small villages). I can also understand the argument "it's on someone's house front, it's PRP".

"[..]and are generally on the front wall of the house so it's not really invasive on someone's property[..]"

ANY object hanging on walls or built inside walls of private homes is to be rejected on the basis of the PRP guideline, regardless of how invasive people think it is.

The reason you see all those maria statues is probably because reviewers see religious figures and think: "these have to be accepted". But they tend to be made in the walls of private homes, a LOT of them. Or they could be very old POIs.

• KazeKazuyaK-PGOKazeKazuyaK-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

@NorthSeaPoet-ING thanks man. In that case, there are tons of this I can work with in other locations too. Will focus on accepting these nominations from reviews until Niantic has decided otherwise.

Noted, thanks!

I think it's partly a cultural thing too; American single-family private property are often quite remote from the sidewalk, where in Europe the front door might directly lead on the street without any front yard. It's also often impossible to differentiate between a single-family house and one that has been repurposed into multiple apartments. The way the guideline is formulated and illustrated seems to indicate the issue lies more in a POI in someone's garden, front yard or driveway and would requires to step inside someone's property to reach it versus something that is directly on the sidewalk and creates no risk of pushing players to go on private property.

Honestly there should be a way to distinguish legacy POI on the Wayfarer map and in game, because people will use nearby accepted POIs to make their judgment. They're the most readily available reference, even before (often confusing) guidelines.

Anyway, I derailed this post for too long, thanks again for the clarification.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do people think the US is all suburbia? Lol there are a lot of single family homes in my small city that are right in the middle of town, right up to the sidewalk. There are definitely submissions that have to be rejected for PRP for similar circumstances. Little free libraries are one common one. Even though the public is expected to use them, we still have to reject it if it's on the edge of PRP.

I'm not trying to sound snarky or rude, It just seems to be a common misconception.

It's a real problem in Belgium/France.. now they're even submitting the empty niches on the houses: