Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Historic or Cultural Significance --> Am I doing it wrong?

Is the "Does this nomination have some historical or cultural significance?" specifically looking for historical and/or cultural significance, or is it just asking if the waypoint meets the criteria of "What makes a good Wayspot?"

The reason I ask is that in the "What makes a good Wayspot?" article, they separate historical & cultural sites from parks, libraries, and transit. The article specifically says "we OFTEN add nominations that are a special nod to industries and networks that connect people around the world." To me, this sounds like there are two different master categories for a Wayspot... the "historical/cultural" ones and "connecting" ones. I'm brand new, but I've been interpreting the question "Does this nomination have... historical or cultural significance" as trying to differentiate between the two. So a playground, while a valid Waypoint submission, would get a low grade on this question, but high marks on "Should this be a Wayspot?"

My brief search of the forums indicates that I may be doing this wrong, but the articles I read don't appear to specifically address the topic in this manner. Is there a distinction between the two groups, and is this question intended to differentiate them?

Best Answer

Answers

• LadyIslayBC-PGOLadyIslayBC-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

Sugarstarzkill-PGO - I'd really like to see that "officially" clarified somewhere. I won't give it a one, but I might give it a 2 or 3. If the question is just "does this meet the criteria for a Waypoint?" then why don't they just ask that question instead of asking for cultural/historical significance?

• 3LW3-PGO3LW3-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited July 2020

This is so helpful to a newcomer like me. I was also wondering if I was not answering this question correctly. Everything @Sugarstarzkill wrote makes sense. It will make it a lot easier to review in the future. I feel like the biggest things we look out for are duplicates, access, and making sure it is not on private property and/or child care & school sites. Am I missing the mark here? Pun intended.

Post edited by 3LW3-PGO on
  • Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is exactly what I've always wondered- as I said, I feel like it's essentially the same thing as the first rating.

edited July 2020

This might have been what I read- first thing I found so far, but I'll keep looking. It's not 100% official but it includes quotes that are

Edited to add this- it's an excellent resource to have. It doesn't necessarily explain how to rate each category really, but it lists a lot of things under the "culture" category- and just plain has a ton of useful info

Wayfarer Criteria - Google Drive

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1rTfW8UJQ24ynoNLm0vHmOFUF5QNqVQieCvVvhj5ItRU/htmlview#

Back again. Haven't found much else to add, but you can also kind of infer this from the Wayfarer site. Under the help section and rating nominations

You will be asked various questions about a nomination and answer by rating on a scale of one to five stars. In general, use the following guidelines when deciding how to vote:

• If you strongly agree, choose 5 stars
    • If you are unsure or have no opinion, choose 3 stars
    • If the answer is definitely no, choose 1 star

So in light of that- for cultural/historical. 5* is amazing. 3* is no opinion. If you choose 2* or 1* you're essentially saying theres no cultural or historic significance. And that depends on exactly how you define the phrase "cultural significance ".

And the main reason we know that voting low on this section results in a rejection- numerous people have gotten things like public park playgrounds rejected with the only reason being "lacks cultural or historic significance ". If people had been 1*ing the very first one, other rejection reasons would've been included as well. People have also gotten the rejection reason of "is not visually unique".

• BaltiCalling-INGBaltiCalling-ING Posts: 362 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I started Wayfarer, I understood those questions wrong. I would review a 5* submission (playground), and put 1* and 1* on cultural and visibly unique. I was deep red for the beginning. But, then I got some advice from other Wayfarers to go higher on those (I now tend not to go below 3* in each on an overall 5* submission), and my rating went into green (where it has stayed).