Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Non-academtic University Buildings?

Are University Campus buildings such as dorms/residence halls or dining halls (assuming they're not a generic McDonald's on campus, but a more traditional dining hall) eligible? Same goes for on-campus Greek Houses; my campus has a Greek Row I'd like to make a stop if its' eligible

I'm specifically looking to clarify on-campus buildings that are owned and operated by the University that are not directly academic buildings, and not say generic student apartment complexes next to a school.

Tagged:

Answers

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

tl;dr: some are, some are not.

Longer answer: just because it is on a university campus does not make it automatically eligible. You need to factor all of the criteria, as presented by the submitter. Everything is unique and subjective.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,535 Ambassador

It would depend on a case by case. A dorm building or cafeteria wouldn't be inherently eligible simply for being associated to the campus, however many dorms are dedicated to an individual or group and have educational dedication plaques explaining it. Cafeterias sometimes have community lounges the at also could be eligible.

Greek housing can go different ways, as well. First, they do NOT count as private residential property. It would likely depend more on the organization and/or specific house. There are many "fraternal order" type houses that are not traditional Greek life that could be eligible for the philanthropy or community services they provide and and as social gathering locations. A house that was the first chartered house of the organization could definitely be accepted for the cultural and historical significance. Others, too, but the nomination would have to distinguish it as something besides simply being a Greek Letter Origination.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because a building is on a college or university campus doesn't mean it is eligible as a Wayspot. College/university buildings must follow the same criteria as any other building: designed by renowned architect, famous specifically for its architecture, venue that showcases fine art, has historical significance (apart from just being old), etc.

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a case by case basis. Being tertiary education (in this case university/college) does not automatically mean it's eligible.

The building would need to meet criteria, such as historic significance (being old doesn't cut it) or have unique architecture, as examples.

• WillowWinters-PGOWillowWinters-PGO Posts: 40 ✭✭

I reviewed a submission that was of an administrative building on a University campus. The person didn't give much information except to say it was recently made into an administrative building when it was previously something else for the University. I gave it very low marks. Do people here agree with that decision? If not, why not?

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillowWinters-PGO yes it sounds like I would've given it low marks too. It should have a historic or cultural importance. Any gathering place on campus could be valid, along with libraries, student centers, etc. Or, most often, I see buildings like this for historic purposes. But the submitter has to fully explain it. Just an administrative building on its own doesn't meet criteria