What's wrong with this old milestone?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, I hope I'm not a nuisance, and I thank you all in advance for your time. Also, I'm Italian.

I submitted this milestone a few times, trying different titles and descriptions, with no success. The latest ones, featured here, simply mean (in Italian): "ancient milestone", "we are 295 kilometres afar from Rimini, on the ancient Via Emilia" (it's a Roman road).

Being Italian, I don't receive the reason for the rejection, I sure hope it's not because some idiot parked a car on a lane designated as pedestrian/cycling road (I can't retrieve the secondary photo I took, but they redrew the lines, making it double, white and yellow).

So: it's historical, last one of its kind in this area, with safe access (what's best than a zebra crossing), a little help here?

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Comments

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

It certainly sounds like it could be eligible. But I'll have to defer to people who have a better understanding of these markers. The main suggestion I can offer is to really strengthen your description and support text, to fully explain it's historical significance. When the markers were put in use, why they were used, etc.

• nineko84-PGOnineko84-PGO Posts: 47 ✭✭

Since I couldn't retrieve the secondary photo, and the Street View is outdated, I went there today to give you an updated view of the surrounding area, the secondary photo I submitted was very much like this.

As you can see, the cycling/pedestrian lane is marked with a double line. It's not a sidewalk per se, but...

Please note that I'm not trying to turn this into a poke stop because of shenanigans, I don't live near it and I know nothing about cells, it's a good faith submission of a historical milestone.

Best regards.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you explain when/why these were used? I'm not from your country so I'm not familiar with them. Heck, people in your own country might not know all the background info on them either.

• SPD85-PGOSPD85-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭✭

I think you'll need to provide some level of information regarding the age of the milestone. I know that a lot of the mile markers on Old Post Road (the Post Office Road between Boston and New York) are pokestops, but they have historical significance. I think they'd be more difficult to approve now because despite their historic nature, many people might simply view them as the same a trail marker without the trail name and reject it.

However, my biggest concern with your submission is the Private Residence. It appears to be between a home and the street, which might be cause for rejection. It might be multifamily or just look like a home from the shot, but I would have to do more research if reviewing. This should also be made clear.

• bjmacke-PGObjmacke-PGO Posts: 42 ✭✭

Forgive me for questioning this, but I suspect it might be a partial explanation for why your nomination isn't clearing review.

1. Romans used miles, not kilometers. Since Rimini is 295km from Lodi, that would suggest the marker is something created much later, likely after Risorgimento/Unification in the 19th century.
    2. Via Emilia terminated in Piacenza and did not extend to Lodi: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Emilia (in English) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Aemilia

So identifying the age of the stone and being clear it's on the Viale Piacenza that leads to Via Emilia may help.

• spiesr-INGspiesr-ING Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Is the building visible in the background a single family residence? If so then, since they falls between that property and the street, this would be ineligible as PRP.

• nineko84-PGOnineko84-PGO Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited July 2020

Hello.

First of all, thank you all for your kind replies, I appreciate the time you spent for me, and I'm sorry if I only reply now, but since my posts have to be approved, I try to make few of them and say as many things as possible. So, time for a sparse reply.

(edit: it turns out that I don't need approval anymore, so I'll reply faster from now on)

1) that is not a house, it's a spa or a beauty centre of some kind, I don't know for sure since I'm not a woman and I never went in there 😁;

2) yeah, I know it can't be from the Roman era, maybe I worded it poorly; for one, it wouldn't even say "295", but rather "CCXCV" (and indeed, it wouldn't even use kilometres). No, I've been told it's from the Fascism era, e.g. one century ago, but I'll make sure to double check that;

3) to clarify a bit how national roads work in Italy, let me just say that even if it has a local toponym ("viale Piacenza", meaning no more than "Piacenza street", because it's a street that immediately goes to Piacenza), that is indeed part of the "Strada Statale 9", which is the modern version of the Via Emilia; the 295 kilometres still refer to Rimini. I'm sorry if this makes little sense to you, but it's common for national roads to have local names within a city (we tend to give lots of names to our streets, unlike America where a single street can have thousands of numbers, but that's off-topic).

I see what you all mean, though. I probably won't resubmit again. Still, thanks again for everything :)

Best regards.