Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Would Consider These Two Buildings To Be Interesting Enough?

Best Answers

Answers

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are difficult to get approved usually, without a plaque. I have been successful with historic buildings without plaques several times, but I'm in the US. I think you've done a very good job with the nominations overall. Just don't be shocked if they require a few attempts.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignoring the historic links for a moment, I would say no to the first one. It's just a generic car dealership. I would suggest to include information in the description on WHY it is considered historic, rather than talking about it being empty and defunct. Why is this building notable for the Rootes Group? Just like a dealership, the product needs to be sold ;P

The second one, absolutely, that is interesting architecture and you provided good information in the description and supporting links for more information.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was notable for being a place where cars were manufactured? I included that information too. Or is that not enough. I would have written more, however Niantic has severely restricted the amount of space people have to write a good description. I tried to fit in as much as I could given the very limited space available to me.

edited July 2020

Somebody else has previously submitted the former Rootes workshop and it has been rejected as a generic business, even though no business currently occupies the premises. There is a sign on the exterior wall stating that the building will be turned into housing but the plague has halted progress on that it seems.

Like I said in my reply to @oscarc1-ING, I wanted to write more and have been restricted by Niantic and Wayfarer. There is a lot more that can be said and I have work within the restrictive constraints given to me by the system. It's unfortunate because as Historic England have noted, there is some history to the place.

P.S. I was actually more concerned that people would see the Natwest banking logo and immediately reject the second building as a generic business. That building has never been submitted before (as far as I know). Both are considered worthy of inclusion by Historic England and I would agree that on first glance the second nomination is slightly more interesting. For the second nomination as well, I was struggling to fit in everything that I wanted to say.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I'd 5 star the bank as it looks visually appealing, 4 star the showroom just cause it doesnt look too nice, but still accept

Okay, I have changed the description somewhat and hope this is better:

This is what Historic England says regarding it's designation and I have tried to reflect that:

Reasons for Designation

The Rootes car showroom and workshops, Mill Street, Maidstone, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * The building is of architectural interest as an example of a Modernist motorcar showroom and workshops which retains a significant proportion of its original fabric. * The building is of architectural interest due to its grand scale, town-centre location and picturesque setting adjacent to the Len mill pond, which distinguishes it from other buildings associated with the motorcar industry during this phase of early motoring. * The building is a prominent manifestation of a hugely successful British car manufacturer, built in a period when the expansion of car ownership was having a the revolutionary impact on the physical and social fabric of the nation.

Oh and I corrected the bit about it being "art deco" because it's actually "modernist" when I changed the description again (as Historic England says). Image incoming after approval. Hopefully I've done enough.

National Westminster Building has been accepted but moved to within 20m of another Wayspot. I don't know why, because I had put the marker in the centre of the building. There was no need to move it into the road! The car factory is in voting now.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Place the location at the front/main entrance, not in the middle of the building. Certain games require players to have direct access to the Wayspot's location and placing it in the middle of the building when it doesn't need to be only hampers gameplay.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really dislike it when people move pins when there's no reason to (ie: when its actually on the object being submitted). But yeah, they should be able to resubmit it at least.