Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Clarification on Single Family Residence for UK - only detached properties?

Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING are you able to clarify what does and doesn't constitute a Single Family Residence?

It's been suggested that UK reviewers have been wrongly interpreting what is considered a single family residence, and thus wrongly rejecting a large proportion of potential waypoints.

There are four main times of private accommodation in the UK:

Flats/Apartments/Maisonettes - multiple residences on a single plot of land. These form around 14% of UK housing stock and all the reviewers I've spoken to would not consider the building SFR, so for example a plaque above the communal entrance would not fall foul of PRP rules.

Terraced - multiple properties (at least three - see below) that are legally distinct buildings on individual plots of land but share a common wall (an end terrace would share one wall, a mid terrace two). The buildings may visually distinct in design, or may be effectively identical, depending on the terrace. These are the second-most common type of residence in the UK forming around 26% of UK housing. All UK reviewers I've spoken with would consider terraced properties as a series of SFRs, so for example a plaque on the wall of a terraced house, or a mural painted on an end terrace house would be considered as ineligible under PRP.

Semi-detached. Simply a pair of legally distinct properties on separate plots that share a common wall at one end. Again they may be visually identical or visually distinct. The most common form of properties in the UK. Again UK reviewers would treat these both as SFR and a mural, plaque, unique architectural feature etc. would fall foul of PRP.

Detached - less common than terraced or semi-detached. A single property on a single plot that shares no walls with other properties. No question this clearly falls under SFR and plaques/murals on such a property would be rejected.

The question is, are UK reviewers wrong to treat terraced and semi-detached properties as SFR? The guidelines don't suggest that only detached properties should be considered SFR, and I've not found any AMAs that suggest this, but a clear ruling and guidance would be useful.

Thank you.

Note - I've deliberately avoided trying to Americanise the examples, as I've no idea about the legal niceties of land ownership in other countries, and whether Duplexs have shared ownership of the plot or are on distinctly owned plots of land etc.

Answers

• KingBriju-PGOKingBriju-PGO Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I would like to add to this.

What about places where there are many single families & their homes/property close to Each other with only 1 or 2 meters distance & not having any fence/walls around property or house? & What about places where public foothpath path /road passing via private property or Infront of house ?

So in short questions of trasspassing doesn't come at all since there isn't any restriction to move on & around private property ..😅

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I have the same problem here in Sweden. Semi-detached houses are very common here, and sometimes they have more than one floor. In addition, some of them are privatly owned, while others are rented out, just as apartments. This makes it near impossible to judge if they should be counted as PRP.

This also influences the "40 m rule", which just should be taken away and replaced with the older rule (not on PRP, and accessible without crossing PRP). This new rule is very hard to use, and just causes lots of confusion with wildly differing reviews.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a another one thays I've always wondered, called a 4 in a block because theres 4 ..... in a block. It's basically 2 houses on a ground floor then 2 houses on the first floor, so sort of like seninderatched as he all share the same wall, but 4 separate residences in this 1 semi detached house (with the upstairs getting it's own door at maybe the side with the downstairs getting a door at the front)

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

I would interpret the private nature just as the OP described.

The terraces can get muddled when some are still homes and others are now business premises.

I find problems with blue heritage plaques. These are often on the wall of house, which can mean that it is the boundary with the pavement - so no issues with access. They mark significant historic places. They are likely to be rejected because they are on PRP. However the owners have agreed to the placement of the plaque there ( the plaque typically belongs to local authority or historical society) so people will come to see it. Most plaques are part of a walking trail around a town to educate and encourage people to go and look at these places.

So it seems incongruous that something that owners have in effect given permission for people to come stop and look at can’t be in the game.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're known around here as a "duplex" or (rarely) a "triplex". Larger ones may be called a "townhouse".

NOTHING in any single unit's property would be eligible. This includes its interior, its yard, and generally speaking all the way to the curb.

The key to a location in such a space is that the POI be in a "communal area".

Some acceptable options include gazebos, playgrounds, and community gardens.

• BaltiCalling-INGBaltiCalling-ING Posts: 362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't speak for the UK, but in my city (Baltimore, MD, USA) we have a few different types of housing stock. I'm speaking specifically about Baltimore City, and not the suburbs of Baltimore.

The more common housing stock in Baltimore are row-homes and duplexes. Less common stock are detached, single family homes.

Row-homes are houses in a row, connected by interior walls. These can be either single-family, or homes which have been converted into multiple, separated flats.

I consider the former to count as single family, the latter to count as multi-family for the purposes of Wayfarer. Of course, the latter buildings don't always have signage or any indicator that they are apartments, so it's difficult for the average reviewer to be able to tell the difference, especially if they're unfamiliar with the neighborhoods.

Duplexes: I almost always consider to be SFPRP (unless also converted), same with single family homes.

But, again, unless you're from the area, and are familar with the idiosyncrasies of Baltimore housing, it's a really tough call for nominations on or within those homes.